Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that bothers me from using launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist is that Spotlight stops working. It is no longer able to search for Apps on the drive. I use that quite a bit to launch apps.

One thing that bothers me from using launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist is that Spotlight stops working. It is no longer able to search for Apps on the drive. I use that quite a bit to launch apps.
Had similiar issue with Spotlight, not sure if com.apple.mediaanalysisd caused it though. Anyway, I got it working again with the following:

Code:
sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*
sudo rm -rf /.metadata_never_index
sudo mdutil -i on /
sudo mdutil -E /

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/157230

I have come across a possible solution for this problem without having to remove or unload the mediaanalysisd file. I'm still testing to see if the issue is indeed resolved before posting the solution. So far I've not had a single lag since implementing the solution couple of days ago.

Maybe I was wrong and it worked to remove the mediaanalysisd file. It was stuck only 1 time right after restart and since then never again. Let´s see if it stays like this. What is the mediaanalysisd file for ?

Maybe I was wrong and it worked to remove the mediaanalysisd file. It was stuck only 1 time right after restart and since then never again. Let´s see if it stays like this. What is the mediaanalysisd file for ?

Is your Spotlight still working now that you have removed the file? See if you can search for any apps installed on your system.

I can check tomorrow. today the machine was very slow for a while when I was editing. Even the mouse was moving slow. The CPU was at maybe 10%. Don't understand where this comes from. Maybe I go back to normal SSD drive. Is it true that the next OS has support for M.2?

just read in another post that the PCIe lanes share the speed with each other. I have a GTX 980Ti, a Blackmagic Decklink 4k and a RocketRaid card with 4 drives. Maybe I'm blocking too much bandwidth with the extension cards?

Sadly, the solution that I had come across was no help either. The lag returned today once again. This time around, I removed all the videos from my Photos library and so far it has been fine. It's frustrating knowing that this was not there with previous OS builds. Interestingly, I have not come across any posts on Apple's support site either. Maybe it's something to do with hackintoshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back