Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to think this issue may be related to the SSD. When I'm running Sierra on a Samsung EVO 256GB SSD drive, lag occurs after few minutes of idling. As soon as I went back to my Crucial SSD drive, my system has not lagged even once. I have clean installed Mac OS on both drives using identical settings.

I am starting to think this issue may be related to the SSD. When I'm running Sierra on a Samsung EVO 256GB SSD drive, lag occurs after few minutes of idling. As soon as I went back to my Crucial SSD drive, my system has not lagged even once. I have clean installed Mac OS on both drives using identical settings.
For me, removing videos from iPhoto library helped :) It may be that in your particular case the issue is the ssd of course.

I to have been suffering from this bug now for a few weeks. I'm eager to try anything that you guys think may solve it. I've deleted any suspicious looking videos from my "photos" app and I'm sure the few that are in there are from my iphone. I'm running 10.12.4 from a Samsung 960 EVO Nvme, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8191 MB. Any other specs please let me know how I might help solve this for me and anyone who comes along...

Guys, thank you sooooo much! I tried to fix this problem for a week without success and finally deleting com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist fixed it! So happy now :)

I get this when i try to do that:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist
/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist: Could not find specified service

What should I do?

I think if you just remove the sudo it should work. i.e.:
Code:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

Ditto on the thank you. Using a cMP here, and I've been stuck with similar problems after being idle anywhere 5 minutes to 5 hours in length (though it happens intermittently). It's been driving me nuts; I think the problem started with the 10.12.3 update. Anyway, killing that mediaanalysis daemon has provided 24 hours of lag/stutter free use.

Same here too. Works lagfree now. And there is no real impact on deactivating this thing?

@swiftoholic I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, I spoke too soon; the lag returned after about 48 hours. I ran with the console open during that period of time, and what always precedes the issue is some sort of volatile graphics driver error. I probably should have reinstalled Nvidia drivers, but I clean installed the entire OS instead, as this has been lingering on and I was at a point where I could afford to have a little downtime.

There is a simple fix to the lags/hangs after 5 minutes of idle. Simply disable the offending mediaanalysisd which is part of Apple's video processing framework. Photos will just work fine, you'll only miss some metadata on videos, but it's not a big deal.

Enter the following command in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

and then log out/in. Problem solved. :)

If you prefer more elegant solutions, you can use the launchctl unload command instead of the simple delete. For a comlete peace of mind, you can also disable photoanalysisd.

Thank you! This has been plaguing me for months now! And now it's completely solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back