Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand. Just backup your iCloud library to a backup drive and start again. Problem solved. Be honest, how many times do you need photos and videos you have taken on your phone?
This is definitely a video that is from another source, other then iPhone iPad and so on.
With only iOS videos there are no freezes.

I have Videos from my iPhone which are on iCloud but don't have any issues with Freezes. Another thing it could be is the processing the library when you first open up the App.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 03.32.20.png

I don't understand. Just backup your iCloud library to a backup drive and start again. Problem solved. Be honest, how many times do you need photos and videos you have taken on your phone?
This is definitely a video that is from another source, other then iPhone iPad and so on.
With only iOS videos there are no freezes.

This is quite a simplified view you have here. My library was created, filled and maintained since one of the first iPhoto versions. Containing photos and videos from 2004 until now. All tagged and sorted carefully into albums. The weird videos are from one of the very first digital action cams I owned back then to record skiing/snowboarding. It's nothing I just want to backup somewhere and then start over with a fresh library. We are here to find out what causes the freeze so we can re-encode those old videos into a modern codec.

Regarding this. The "Sunplus Motion JPEG Video" videos were not the cause (at least not by themselves). I had another freeze after deleting them. I've now moved on to remove .MOV files encoded with "Motion JPEG Video". @Wolfie81 seemed to have issues with .MOV as well. So maybe we are getting closer.

Current iPhone videos are encoded this way:
- video stream: H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) Planar 4:2:0 YUV
- audio stream: AAC Stereo, 44100 Hz
- container format: .m4v

That's not quite a solution, especially as others aren't experiencing it. Ive converted all files to m4v, and it freezes.

WIll try a diff format. Anyone know what the default iOS video format is?
The container is MOV and the videos are H264

Thanks. I dont know which format works, but the only format I've tested (and freezes) is .m4v
Ill convert them all to .MOV and see what happens
I mean, we know what the issue is, it is the photos library trying to decode some odd video format in the background. I since disabled my iCloud photos on my rig.
No more freezes. I don't need it anyway, I don't take videos with my Mac just with my iPhone or DSLR.
I archive the photos outside of MacOS Photos anyway. Just the ones I take with my iPhone are there. They will still be there despite having it enabled on my Mac or not.
There was an accident on holiday where I deleted a few videos by accident and had to recover them from Google Photos and add them to iCloud Photos and that is when this happened.

Thanks. I dont know which format works, but the only format I've tested (and freezes) is .m4v
Ill convert them all to .MOV and see what happens

The file extension (mov, m4v, avi, etc.) is only the container format, not the codec used. So converting to ".MOV" doesn't really mean much. MOV was used for all kinds of codecs back in the day. So far we are sure that H.264 video + AAC audio works and that's what Apple is using.

There is a simple fix to the lags/hangs after 5 minutes of idle. Simply disable the offending mediaanalysisd which is part of Apple's video processing framework. Photos will just work fine, you'll only miss some metadata on videos, but it's not a big deal.

Enter the following command in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

and then log out/in. Problem solved. :)

If you prefer more elegant solutions, you can use the launchctl unload command instead of the simple delete. For a comlete peace of mind, you can also disable photoanalysisd.

There is a simple fix to the lags/hangs after 5 minutes of idle. Simply disable the offending mediaanalysisd which is part of Apple's video processing framework. Photos will just work fine, you'll only miss some metadata on videos, but it's not a big deal.

Enter the following command in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

and then log out/in. Problem solved. :)

If you prefer more elegant solutions, you can use the launchctl unload command instead of the simple delete. For a comlete peace of mind, you can also disable photoanalysisd.

This sounds promising but I'm getting caught up:

JaredsiMac:~ jaredminiman$ sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist
override rw-r--r-- root/wheel restricted,compressed for /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist? y
rm: /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist: Operation not permitted

A little help here, please! I assume SIP is getting in my way?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back