Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory, and my testing is quite close to (hopefully) revealing the answer.

My hypothesis is when a library is designated systems library, and we have a video in a format photos no longer recognises, it begins to panic. This would be especially true if we have iCloud photos enabled ( I don't) or photo streaming. I just have streaming. I've looked at activity monitor and the photos app runs in the background when it's closed quite often. It does lots of processing for streaming to other devices, and iCloud.

My testing has been using multiple pathways, to rule things in and out and so far...

It's not an actual photos (pic) problem. I ruled that out with multiple library and different avenue testing. It is video. When I remove video (all of them) in my SYSTEMS LIBRARY, the system NO LONGER FREEZES. As soon as I put them back in, it freezes. I'm converting them all to a more standard format (instead of the 3 diff types prior)to check the outcome. My hypothesis is that it WILL WORK.

Maybe later, I can work out which format is the one causing issues, I suspect it is the MOV. format. If it isn't a format issue, it may be one video that's corrupted. I cannot explain why the library had historically no issues and working and now it does not. Whenever a library is NOT designated a systems library, regardless of videos in the library, it will NOT FREEZE.

I'll repost later.

EDIT: library issue ties in with me earlier in this thread suspecting it was a SSD problem, as I did have the photos library on said SSD. I never got around to making it default library at the time though. In hindsight, it's likely that it is not a ssd problem, but photos,or really the videos component.

EDIT 2: As we don't see issues in legitimate macs regarding vid format, that I can see on the web, the proposal a video may be corrupted is also likely.

Last edited:
I have a theory, and my testing is quite close to (hopefully revealing the answer).

If you login with a Guest account, do you still see the freezes?

I have a theory, and my testing is quite close to (hopefully) revealing the answer.

My hypothesis is when a library is designated systems library, and we have a video in a format photos no longer recognises, it begins to panic. This would be especially true if we have iCloud photos enabled ( I don't) or photo streaming. I just have streaming. I've looked at activity monitor and the photos app runs in the background when it's closed quite often. It does lots of processing for streaming to other devices, and iCloud.

My testing has been using multiple pathways, to rule things in and out and so far...

It's not an actual photos (pic) problem. I ruled that out with multiple library and different avenue testing. It is video. When I remove video (all of them) in my SYSTEMS LIBRARY, the system NO LONGER FREEZES. As soon as I put them back in, it freezes. I'm converting them all to a more standard format (instead of the 3 diff types prior)to check the outcome. My hypothesis is that it WILL WORK.

Maybe later, I can work out which format is the one causing issues, I suspect it is the MOV. format. If it isn't a format issue, it may be one video that's corrupted. I cannot explain why the library had historically no issues and working and now it does not. Whenever a library is NOT designated a systems library, regardless of videos in the library, it will NOT FREEZE.

I'll repost later.

EDIT: library issue ties in with me earlier in this thread suspecting it was a SSD problem, as I did have the photos library on said SSD. I never got around to making it default library at the time though. In hindsight, it's likely that it is not a ssd problem, but photos,or really the videos component.

EDIT 2: As we don't see issues in legitimate macs regarding vid format, that I can see on the web, the proposal a video may be corrupted is also likely.

Read my post carefully, testing has deemed guest acct irrelevant.

Good to know its patched despite freezes still occurring.

Doublepost

Personally its related to Graphics. I have .mov, mp4 from my iPhone & Camcorder which are in Photos app i don't have freeze issues. Its either something to do with your hardware or Graphics.

It could be, but Ive had no issues with my gtx 780 till recently, which uses native drivers. Ive tried web drivers to no avail. You've seen my files and they are unremarkable. Moreover, ACPI patching still causes issues.

I need more people in this thread to test what I'm doing with photos.

For what's its worth, I think it's either MOV. (Capitals) that's the cause, or a video that is corrupt regardless of the format.

Isn't hardware. Ive changed motherboard and RAM, and SSD.

Last edited:
It could be, but Ive had no issues with my gtx 780 till recently, which uses native drivers. Ive tried web drivers to know avail. You've seen my files and they are unremarkable. Moreover, ACPI patching still causes issues.

For what's its worth, I think it's either MOV. (Capitals) that's the cause, or a video that is corrupt regardless of the format.

Nothing to do with ACPI Patches. Without them you will have more problems. No solution I'm afraid.

If it is nothing to do with ACPI, can we please stop focusing on it and having users clog up this thread about it. I do appreciate your help though. With all due respect, you say photos isn't related but the fact remains I'm the one that's experiencing this issue, and visibly seeing the change with my experimenting with the photos app.

So far, what Ive put forward is the only option on the table and quite frankly, Ive repeated this many times with requests but I need users with the issue for replicating purposes. It keeps getting ignored in favour of this unrelated ACPI, which Ive proven does not matter. Obviously very few users here give 2 poops about helping me in replicating my scenarios. If it remains the case, I'll find the solution and not post about it.

Last edited:
It could be, but Ive had no issues with my gtx 780 till recently, which uses native drivers. Ive tried web drivers to no avail. You've seen my files and they are unremarkable. Moreover, ACPI patching still causes issues.

I'm using iCloud Photo Library and my regular Macs have no issues at all. My wild guess is that macOS uses the GPU to render video previews in the background and the issue is caused in combination with the Nvidia Web Driver. So only users of "Photos" with old videos and Nvidia Web Driver would possible see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back