Graphics
RX 580
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
Core i5 4-core 2.9GHz
1TB SATA HDD
“Barebones” TonyMacX86-recommended SATA DVD drive
2 x TonyMacX86-recommended 4GB modules
320GB SATA HD

My first system running 10.6.8 (occasionally have to start it up with “USBBusFix=Yes”) which has been running almost flawlessly is based on (almost) identical specs as above with the exception of running dual Radeon HD5870s in SLI mode, faster 3.5GHz Core i5, and 1TB SATA HD. This particular new build (just built it up today) I decided to use a “supported” version of OSX—10.7.5 to be exact—and I have followed the 10.7 installation guide “to the T” so to speak. However, every time I attempt to get it to boot from the USB Lion installer (followed those installer instructions “to the T” as well) it gets about 1/2 second into the Apple logo boot screen, and then it automatically restarts the computer. I have tried many boot flags yet still cannot get this thing working. I have tried with the computer totally stripped down: one 4GB RAM module, onboard Intel graphics, generic Apple USB keyboard (have tried two varieties), Microsoft USB Intellimouse, no RJ-45 hooked up, no wireless card, absolutely nothing plugged into any PCI slots.

OK. So, where to go next with this? I have selected (within the BIOS settings) the USB drive to be set in “USB-HDD” mode, yet this “HPET64” mention in the install guide I cannot seem to locate– I have no idea if this is the show-stopper. However, it was relatively painless by comparison getting 10.6.8 installed onto my “almost identical” setup back in December using an active RJ-45 network as well as a Radeon HD5870 – if my memory serves me correctly, I did not need to enter any boot arguments in order to get to the installer screen.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Erm.....Z87 hardware should have 10.8.5 and above running. Forget running Snow Leopard or Lion as the hardware is not supported.

Snow Leopard is used only as a way of getting to the App store after down loading the combo update for 10.6.8, thus allowing you to down load Mavericks, create your UniBeast flash drive to allow you to install 10.9.1
The recommended hardware is recommended to run 10.8.5 and newer only.

Adrian B

OK… well since Mavericks sucks, I guess I’ll attempt to install Mountain Lion, although it sucks more than Lion. I sure hope Apple isn’t going Windoze 8 with the direction of their OSs… otherwise I’ll just stick with my 2008 Mac Pro.

Good thing I got both OSs for only $19.99 each. I guess the install guide for Lion need to be updated with the disclaimer along the lines of, “Oh, by the way, don’t waste your time attempting to install Lion, as although not…… blah blah blah uh huh yeah yeah baby disappointment for all ensues.” I guess I was somehow misled into thinking this was a fantastic idea. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I am grateful to have a system that runs 10.6.8 without too much hassle.

Thank you for the information that I somehow had overlooked.

Since you are already running Apple hardware and OS - it would seem strange that you had not managed to figure out that each new version coincides with a new hardware release. There are no motherboard drivers for OS X so I don't understand how you might have been misled here or on any other site about running old versions of OS X on modern hardware.

Snow Leopard is used as a way of getting to the App store to run suitable properly supported OS X with newer hardware. We do NOT support running Snow Leopard on your hardware.
Snow Leopard is only suitable for running unto and including Sandy Bridge hardware (10.6.8), we would only ever suggest that users wishing to run SL do so with Sandy Bridge hardware:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/building-sandy-bridge-customac-buyers.html

Adrian B

Since you are already running Apple hardware and OS - it would seem strange that you had not managed to figure out that each new version coincides with a new hardware release. There are no motherboard drivers for OS X so I don't understand how you might have been misled here or on any other site about running old versions of OS X on modern hardware.

:rolleyes: Uhh, OK, right dude. You’re right and I’m a moron. Thanks. Fat smelly geeks for teh w1n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back