Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all -

Many years ago, when I was first learning about computers, hacks, and case mods, I attempted to build my very first hack in a PowerMac G5 that I had been given. The machine was dead, and I remember stripping its guts out and making a valiant attempt to build a computer inside the case without any knowledge of what I was doing. After hours of work, I finally got it built, though it certainly wasn't pretty, and I was impressed that it even functioned. You can see pictures of the machine earlier today (before I tore it down) below.

IMG_1898.jpgIMG_1899.jpgIMG_1900.jpgIMG_1901.jpgIMG_1902.jpg

The cutting was horrible, the motherboard was too big for the case, it was mounted too low, the front panel connector only worked with the power button and used recycled wires, and nothing was mounted properly except for the CD drive (a big achievement for me back in the day.) The motherboard is mounted using the original G5 standoffs with Liquid Nails holding them to the back of the case - a method I will likely re-use for this rebuild, as it worked exceptionally well.

In this "Redo" mod, I will be redoing this case properly - full ATX height in the rear, proper fans, hard drive cages that are actually usable, and a full front panel (audio, Power, & USB.)

I spent the morning destroying an old ThermalTake case that I had lying around. It weighed a TON, and was destined for the recycling center, so I figured, why not. I had to drill all of the rivets out of the case, but its back panel should work fine with a few mods.

IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1909.jpgIMG_1910.jpg

The plan is to take out MORE of the original PMG5 back plate and replace it with parts of this. This will give me full expansion height, the iconic 2 rear exhaust fans, and a sturdy construction.

Thanks for checking out this mod - as always, thanks for your feedback, and I'll do my best to make sure this doesn't end up 70% done like every other mod I've ever done.

-IC

A long day of Dremel-ing. Started with the above pieces and ended with the below. A couple of adjustments had to be made in my design, through it turned out as I intended. The larger backplate (the one with the fan grills) will probably only see one exhaust fan, as I did not want to move the power cord connection.

This was my first time using a Dremel, and I had the oscillating kind instead of the rotary - a solid investment; I needed something that would go through the steel of the new backplate, and the dude at the hardware store said the oscillating one was the way to go.

After a series of breaks and having my hands vibrated to oblivion, I cut the backplate to my desired shape.

IMG_2712.jpgIMG_2889.jpgIMG_3654.jpgIMG_4301.jpgIMG_4383.jpg

A couple of drill holes and some spare screws hold everything together. Perhaps some nuts will go on the other end, but it seems very sturdy without them.

Currently working on re-mounting the motherboard. With the new backplate, the standoffs are in the wrong position. A hair dryer and a knife took off the globs of liquid nails from before. You can see a test fit below.

IMG_0576.jpg

More updates to come. Thanks!!

-IC

UPDATE 1/14 -

Attempting to locate the motherboard faceplate before I go further. It's around here somewhere...

Small updates -

Took the trusty Dremel to the top plate of the PowerMac, now a much thinner area allowing for the motherboard to properly utilize all of its expansion slots. In addition, you can see the motherboard has been mounted using a similar technique as before. I utilized the original PowerMac G5 motherboard standoffs (easy to knock off of the backplate with a hammer) and attached them with just a few beads of Liquid Nails. A few video cards to make sure the measurements are fine and to give some weight near the standoffs.

IMG_6539.jpgIMG_1355.jpg

Plans for the evening include reattaching the top cover and reassembling the door hinge.

Thanks for looking!

-IC

EDIT: 10:54PM

Looks like we're about done. I have gone the simple route - velco on the power supply to keep it in place, a nicely wired front panel - telephone wire run up the sides and the top of the case - and a rubber band to tie up my unused cables. The real spotlight of the build is the improvement in the rear, a much more clean look than some cut up aluminum. You can see some inside shots below. Once the adhesive dries properly, I'll go ahead and make one final post with some glamour shots.

IMG_2860.jpgIMG_2848.jpg

At long last (was it really just two weeks, or should we say 3 years?) I've finished the G5 to my satisfaction. Below you can see the pictures from the final photoshoot. The Liquid Nails solidified overnight, and it has left a fantastic bond between the standoffs and the backplate. Though the PSU isn't modular, the cables are in an acceptable place. Perhaps one day, I will add a drive cage and a storage drive to the computer, but the only use it sees is my father checking his email and listening to Spotify.

You can see pictures of the final product below - I'll add a "Completed Mods" thread later today. Thanks!

-IC

IMG_1946.jpgIMG_1947.jpgIMG_1948.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1950.jpg

Are there no case fans in this build? and is the waste heat from the PSU being pushed out of the front of the case?

Are there no case fans in this build? and is the waste heat from the PSU being pushed out of the front of the case?

At present, there aren't any case fans. It RARELY sees any kind of load, and I've stress tested it extensively. The inside of the case gets a bit warm, but it lives in my basement which is almost always about 65 degrees F, regardless of the season. I haven't had any issues with heat or airflow since it was built. If I do, I think I would go for a simple intake fan right on the front grill, but it hasn't proved necessary. I think the cheese grater design allows for enough fresh air to move in and out of the case without any fans. The PSU simply exhausts upwards into the case.

Of course, this is a very nice scenario. In any other circumstance (or if this computer was ever going to be used in a different fashion than web browsing and music playing) I would have incorporated a fan (or two) more readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back