Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!
I want to install 10.6, so don't tell me to try Lion or ML instead... ;)

This is my first build: the hardware part was quite easy but trying to start from an iBoot CD, after 3 lines I don't even get the red apple, just black screen! (the last line is "mounting: done", which disappears immediately)
I must say I only have a USB burner, is it an issue?
I've found a trick, somewhere in the forum, to copy iBoot in a USB stick, so I tried with 2 different ones, same result.
What is pretty strange is that those sticks and the iBoot CD work on my Dell Mini9 (I know it's not supported, it was just for testing :wave:), the red apple shows and it starts booting or allows me to switch CD.
• Even stranger, but reassuring, I've tried treating a 10.8 partition (retail) created on my iMac with Multibeast and it worked!
(actually, there was an issue with my graphics card but I found a trick that works)
=> so no hardware problem, all graphics resolutions with the above trick
• I applied the same treatment and graphics trick to a 10.6.7 partition (retail) but no way, it immediately stops at the grey Apple!

So, mainly, I want to understand why iBoot doesn't even show, as I NEED Snow Leopard!
(and I've bought a Z68/sandy instead of a Z77/ivy especially for that purpose! :evil:)
I've set my bios according to the guide. Is there anything else I should modify?

But if anyone has an idea why the above "treatment" works in ML and not in SL, thanks for any ideas. :thumbup:
(note that the trick given by our fellow forumer was intended for SL :crazy:... the only difference I've found after Multibeast has run is that I've got a org.chameleon.Boot.plist instead of com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra but I suppose it was an error from the poster)
I have tried:
-x
PCIRootUID=1
GraphicsEnabler=No
System definition as Mac Mini
I'll keep on trying and hope to post my build pretty soon!
:headbang:

Does your mac have an optical drive?

Yes, but I can't unmount it, it's an iMac (and it's an ATAPI interface).
Do you suggest I'm putting the iBoot CD in it to verify if it boots? :)

No, suggesting put your HDD in an external drive case, connect to iMac via USB, put SL DVD in optical drive and install it on the USB connectd HDD. When install is complete, run MultiBeast to install the bootloader and fakesmc, smbios.plist and boot.plist, then move the HDD into its new home.

Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbup:
In the meantime, I've succeeded with my other experiments, "treating" this time a 10.6.8 partition like I did with the ML partition: it's working! Which seems to confirm 2 things:
• 10.6.8 is closer to Lion and ML than to 10.6.7 (I've even got dual monitor VGA&HDMI working without further tinkering! :headbang:)
• the iBoot issue is probably related to the graphics card (think: I've bought that one based on what I've read here and there, that those NVidia GT210 512Mb cards were working OOB... :evil: — maybe it's ok with ASUS or else...)

So, I'll probably be able to have this build working (now I have a problem with sound as Amazon sent me a 2.0 mobo instead of the 1.0 I've ordered !:banghead: but that's another story...), but as I plan to get rid of my iMac, I would feel safer if I could do a proper iBoot install, just in case... :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll try it "blindly", after all, it's just a matter of putting in the DVD and pressing F5 (hoping that the installer recognize my graphics card... :crazy: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back