Register

iBoot on USB, only booting to black screen w/ blinking cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Hi there.

I'm currently struggling to get iBoot to work so I can boot the Snow Leopard Install Disk.
Since I don't have an optical drive in my soon-to-be Hackintosh and no plans to buy one, I threw both (iBoot and SL Install Disc) on USB thumb drives.

When trying to boot the iBoot USB, it seems to do something... but then I only get a black screen with a grey blinking cursor in the upper left corner. No reaction to any input.
I specifically downloaded iBoot for Haswell processors as mentioned in the guide on this site since I'm using a Haswell (Haswell Refresh, 4790K) CPU so I don't think I got the "wrong" version. Also seen some success posts here with this processor and this mainboard, so my hardware should be OK.
I have the display connected directly to the mainboard with no PCIe card installed yet since I heard Intel integrated graphics would be the safest thing for the initial installation.
My UEFI says I'm already using AHCI mode, I skipped setting the boot priority since I can always manually choose what to boot from with F12...

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here, and how I can fix it?
I have a real Mac with 10.6.8 to prepare stuff, if needed, and also a working Win7 installation.
Does iBoot maybe only support booting from a "real" CD even on UEFI boards which can boot from USB? In that case I might be able to temporarily swap the ODD from my Mac Pro over to the Hackintosh.

Thanks in advance!

iBoot Haswell works just fine on a CD when used in conjunction with Snow Leopard Retail disk. The grey recovery disk versions only work with the model of Apple machine that they were supplied with.

Hope that helps clear up any misunderstanding.

iBoot Haswell works just fine on a CD when used in conjunction with Snow Leopard Retail disk. The grey recovery disk versions only work with the model of Apple machine that they were supplied with.

Hope that helps clear up any misunderstanding.

I think you didn't quite understand my problem there.
Since there is no ODD drive in the Hackintosh, I tried to put the iBoot image onto an USB stick, as well as the Snow Leopard install DVD (yes I have the retail disk with 10.6.3, I simply cloned it onto another USB stick with my real Mac).

So I'm trying to start iBoot from USB, which seems not to work.

Meanwhile I gave up trying to get this thing to run via USB and swapped the ODD over to the Hackintosh. Burned iBoot to CD, boots fine, also boots the SL Install DVD.

Now I only need to find out how to fix the disk onto which I want to install it... can't reformat the pre-reserved partition to HFS+, Disk Utility is giving me an error it can't change the partition table.
Should have installed OS X first on it, then Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back