Contribute
Register

iBoot CD to Snow Leopard USB

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard on Dell laptop by booting with iBoot burned to a CD, but then use Snow Leopard stored on a USB key?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is it possible to install Snow Leopard on Dell laptop by booting with iBoot burned to a CD, but then use Snow Leopard stored on a USB key?
How would you get Snow Leopard onto a USB flash drive ?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android

With Disk Utility. When I purchased a used MacBook years back, I created a USB backup. The MacBook has since crapped out, for the most. I moved onto Windows and some Linux, but I want to dabble with macOS again.

Worst case I just buy the disk through Apple's site. I was just curious if it's possible to use 2 different mediums to get the end results.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I was just curious if it's possible to use 2 different mediums to get the end results.
Use your CD/DVD drive and follow the standard method in the Snow Leopard install guide which uses the SL DVD along with the iBoot CD.

Use your CD/DVD drive and follow the standard method in the Snow Leopard install guide which uses the SL DVD along with the iBoot CD.
I would, but like I said... the files have been on a USB key for a few years. In order to use the standard method, I'd have to somehow create a DL-DVD from the files off the USB; all on a Windows 10 laptop.

I have searched and searched for a method to use iBoot, then a USB. My Dell only sees the USB as a "diskette drive". Reason why I asked here on this particular forum.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
somehow create a DL-DVD from the files off the USB
How did you originally get Snow Leopard to copy it to the USB drive ?

Years back, I followed an article similar to THIS.

Maybe that process didn't work, I don't know because I never tried it. Maybe I just wasted a USB key for no reason for many years.

So I'm guessing my original question, hence for posting on here, will not actually be answered.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
That USB only boots on an Apple Mac. Why would it work on a PC ? Use the retail DVD. Stop wasting your time with the USB approach.