Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

New system is SHREDDING for the the most part but I’m flummoxed by a persistent problem in which My USB stops working randomly and have been on a bit of a wild goose chase. All the ports fail and are not recognized but are still providing power and devices don’t re-connect. Its as if I unplugged all USB devices at the same time and then plugged them back followed by no recognition. No problems in windows whatsoever.

I tried:

-reducing the number of devices

-The alternate port ennumeraton using hackintool that Casey suggested at the top of his build thread (same behavior)

-completely powering down the system (turning PS off)

-deleting (and restoring) USBInjectAll and SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V(n).aml

-combed through s/l/e and deleted any obsolete drivers

-stoped using chrome and disabled its USB extension

-updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC to their latest versions

-unplugged the usb connection for the Fenvi BT wireless card

-turned off remote access

-Updated Bios from 8 to 9 and double checked settings

and ran kext utility when appropriate to no avail.

I think I’m missing something very basic or have some weird redundancy,

A debug with gen_dubug is attached. (I hope I did it right) I manually added IOreg explorer file as the script made a generic one. I’ll report back to the Designare z390 thread with any solutions as it seems like a few other are having the same issue.

THANKS in advance,

_B$

Last edited:
Sorry to say, same build. Same problem. There are a number of us. This isn't my first build I've had random USB issues with unfortunately. Wish I could say I've found a fix or at least an underlaying cause, but no go. I've made numerous posts over at the main golden build threads with no real response/acknowledgment either. I'm convinced there's some underlaying issue regarding USB in recent OSX hackintosh builds that remains unsolved. There are far too many random cases for it to be related to a specific piece of hardware or build quality.

The harsh reality is - no one seems to have a definitive answer. I've tried adjusting Clover, switching to OpenCore, trying different SMBIOS settings, modifying/updating BIOS and its settings, removing various devices/switching to a minimalistic install/device tree. Swapped CPU's, RAM, motherboards, entire new builds, installed from scratch...same random problem -> USB subsystem randomly drops out until the computer is shut down. :/. I've seen this issue on High Sierra, Mojave, and also Catalina.

Hopefully....this is resolved some day.

Last edited:
THANKS for the reply. That really sucks. If this is such a pervasive issue I'm surprised there isn't more information, reactions or warnings in build descriptions about this problem. I read a post that this was also happening on Apple hardware that suggested its an issue resolved with an SMC or vram reset but see no info on how to reset the SMC which apparently doesn't exist in hackintoshes. Maybe someone can chime in.

I hope that the ingenuity, creativity and patience of the Hackintosh community will prevail over this issue at some point. My new build is a transitional machine to get to Windows and be able to open old projects so I'm going to stop chasing the wild goose and get back to my creative work. I had no ongoing issues with my previous Hackintosh a few generations of OSXs ago.

I hope someone does find something eventually, but it's not looking real promising. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there seems to only be a small subset of people who are actually plagued by this issue. Those that aren't claim the issue doesn't exist, and that it's related to something hardware wise, which.. I simply don't buy when I'm seeing the same issue across completely different builds and hardware setups. If you make a post regarding it, it's usually just ignored at this point unless it's someone else experiencing the same issue going "yeah, me too..". It's a shame the community is more focused on populating the Thunderbolt trees and other 'nice things to have' on builds instead of trying to track down the underlaying cause that makes a system truly unusable such as this. The one centralized them I'm starting to notice is, most of the people experiencing these USB dropout issues are doing some sort of creative work with their system. You said you were. I use my box for music production. I believe a few others experiencing similar issues were using theirs for things related to video/audio work as well. Doesn't help us track down the issue however, but...it is an interesting similarity none the less.

Yep. I use mine for music production as well (mostly running Digital Performer). I have a lot USB devices hooked up. Maudio-88es, icon platform m, Korg nano kontrol, ilok and a usb stick with SW registrations on it, a brother printer and scanner. Also RME ff800 with a FW card but USB drops happen w/o stuff hooked up or running my DAW. Honestly, after using macs for 27 years for music production I'm happy to be making the jump to windows given apple's direction in recent years, the impending move to ARM processors, and that almost all the tools I use run identically in Windows.

Hi, so has anyone got anywhere with this? I'm having these issues with my designare too. It always occurs when using an SSL UF8 control surface with Logic Pro. Luckily, I can log in via screen sharing and save my work.

Some users have reported more stablility keeping USB 2.0 devices separate, all plugged in to HS09 or HS10 via hub: see here. This hasn't worked for me though.

The fix was to use a usb2 pci card for usb 2 devices. Cheap and easy. No issues in my studio since. I keep my usb 3 drives on a powered hub on the internal ports. Works fine with a TB > usb3 adaptoid as Well. The troubleshooting that unfolded is on the Z390 designaire thread w card specifics. Good luck and enjoy!

The fix was to use a usb2 pci card for usb 2 devices. Cheap and easy. No issues in my studio since. I keep my usb 3 drives on a powered hub on the internal ports. Works fine with a TB > usb3 adaptoid as Well. The troubleshooting that unfolded is on the Z390 designaire thread w card specifics. Good luck and enjoy!
Ah. Didn't seem to solve it for me. I bought the pluggable 10-port USB 2 hub, still get the freeze issues with everything plugged in on that - i have no usb 3 devices, just an apollo. I might return the hub and try a PCIe card, see if that helps at all. Cheers!

Sorry, I should have been clearer- you can use ONLY USB3 (no USB1/2) devices on internal or TB ports. All usb 1 and 2 should be going into the on the card (hubs into the card are fine) or ports will probably freeze sooner or later. FYI, card PCI usb is fine for boot/bios access.

Cheers, I finally figured that out!

The PCI card will arrive today or tomorrow, and hopefully that will be the end of my woes!

On the main thread, casey stated that a self-powered usb 2.0 hub plugged into HS09 or HS10 (the top usb 2.0 ports on the board) would work as it keeps USB 1 and 2 devices off any USB 3 ports but that is not the case, even when using HS09 or HS10 the intel controller will eventually lock up - especially with USB 1 devices. I'll report back on the main thread once I've confirmed this with the PCI card.

I guess the intel controller on the board is not playing nice with apples USB drivers in Catalina.

Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back