Contribute
Register

i9 z390 Designaire USB randomly stops working Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. The devices on select are ports by USB type was a theory (failed) not a fix. Also, BTW, the problem is across the Osx board, not just w/Catalina.

Thanks for the great thread everyone. Ordered PCI card and will give it a go. My concern is internal USB connectors - like the WiFi/Bluetooth PCI card that needs internal USB or the Thunderbolt 3 AIC card that also uses internal USB. AIC card is probably USB3 though, so should be fine.

Thanks for the great thread everyone. Ordered PCI card and will give it a go. My concern is internal USB connectors - like the WiFi/Bluetooth PCI card that needs internal USB or the Thunderbolt 3 AIC card that also uses internal USB. AIC card is probably USB3 though, so should be fine.

Just to let you know, I have a completely stable system with other devices plugged into the onboard USB 3 and USB 2 ports as well as the fenvi-T919 and case USB 2 front ports plugged in internally.

All I have to do is make are that my SSL UF8 (the device which was causing the freezes) is on the PCI card. Everything else (9 USB 2 devices!) can go in any port and the system is stable. I also have an Apollo interface and satellite running fine on the TB 3 ports of my designare.

I think you just have to isolate the devices that are causing the issue and keep them on the PCI card ports.

I think you just have to isolate the devices that are causing the issue and keep them on the PCI card ports.
FWIW, It proved impossible to do this for me. My issue couldn't be traced to a single device. Every time I thought I had figured it out time proved me wrong. I THINK at one point it was freezing with just a kybd and mouse plugged in (maybe it was my expert mouse trackball or old lenovo keyboard???). The only 100% freeze proof solution on my system was to use the card for all USB 1&2 devices. That said, once I had stability I stoped chasing the problem.

FWIW, It proved impossible to do this for me. My issue couldn't be traced to a single device. Every time I thought I had figured it out time proved me wrong. I THINK at one point it was freezing with just a kybd and mouse plugged in (maybe it was my expert mouse trackball or old lenovo keyboard???). The only 100% freeze proof solution on my system was to use the card for all USB 1&2 devices. That said, once I had stability I stoped chasing the problem.

As long as it's stable!

My money would be on the keyboard. The devices that always caused it for me were actually USB 2 hubs with usb 1 devices attached internally. The SSL UF8 actually has a USB 1 "keyboard" device built in (can be seen in Ioregistryexplorer or hackingtool), that's what seemed to be causing my freezes.

At least your problems have gone away, we can all agree it's a huge relief when they stop!

UPDATE. The Inateck 4-port PCI card arrived but coincided with my 13.3.1 upgrade that broke everything (no USB and quite regular freezing that prompts power cycle).

I've just completed the motherboard USBmapping, need to somehow map Inateck PCI card ports as well - because without USBInjectAll it doesn't seem to work. So I know that each USB controller has its own 15-port limit, but weird behavior so far is:
1. With USBInjectAll PCI card devices work, but don't show in Hackintool USB ports mapping
2. With USBports mapping generated and USBInjectAll disabled, motherboard ports show up correctly but PCI card ports don't work (it still shows up but all posts appear empty in IOregistryExplorer

Since 11.3.1 upgrade I'm mostly impacted by a different issue: Fenvi Wi-Fi stops working (and ports on the Inateck card), but Bluetooth on same Fenvi card keeps working and if I move a USB device from Inateck port to the one on the front of the PC case - it works again.

It sounds like a mapping issue, but I'm getting these freezes constantly and within 5 minutes of booting up - so it's a different issue from the one I had (and probably still have).

To explain the difference: previously ALL USB ports would stop working, didn't matter if I moved devices between ports - only power cycle would get the ports working again. BUT OS itself was stable and online - I could always connect using Screen Sharing to onboard gigabit NIC to gracefully shutdown or reboot.

What I have now is the system freezes completely - no indicator updates in the menubar, no ping and definitely no Screen Sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back