Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> i9-9900k, Asus Maximus XI Hero, Rx580 8Gb Pulse, Random Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi scottkendall, Im with the same gpu Rx580 8gb Pulse. Still using z370-a and corsair 16gb ram 2400 and Im still waiting for the new products I ordered to arrive. 10 days now and no freeze at all. I have tried so many settings in the past and nothing actually worked. I don't know if its the borrowed mobo and the ram that makes it stable so far but all these 10 days Im booting everyday from the usb flash drive I made from CaseySJ's guide. Imagine that I haven't touched anything in the flash drive's EFI. So what I can suggest to try is to do the same... make a usb using his guide (1st post) and try it for many days by booting everyday from it.

P.S. HEVC and jpg preview are not working from the flash drive EFI but I can live without them until new items arrive and do a fresh install. Also a friend of mine who bought my Maximus XI Hero and Ram is not having any issues at all in Windows (he is a game person and uses only win). So its a proof that mobo and ram I had for the last 4 months are ok.

Last edited:
booting everyday from it.

This comment leads me to believe that we were not having the same issue. My problem was that if I did not reboot it after 4 days or so it would crash. Even if it sat un used sleeping. At this point I am at 10 days also but 10 days with no reboot, this is my longest Uptime since I began my hack mission.

My Final 2 Changes were

SM 19,2 ---> 19,1

And

Manual Clocking the Memory instead of using XMP at this point I am going to let it run till it freezes if I hit a month that would be rad but that's still 20 days more to go.

This comment leads me to believe that we were not having the same issue. My problem was that if I did not reboot it after 4 days or so it would crash. Even if it sat un used sleeping. At this point I am at 10 days also but 10 days with no reboot, this is my longest Uptime since I began my hack mission.

My Final 2 Changes were

SM 19,2 ---> 19,1

And

Manual Clocking the Memory instead of using XMP at this point I am going to let it run till it freezes if I hit a month that would be rad but that's still 20 days more to go.
Hmm I just watched again your 1st posts in this thread. You have tried so far different memories, gpus, motherboards, cpus and the same issue persists. Also its totally random without kernel panics and mostly happens at idle mode. That sounds just like mine issues. For me I have come to conclusion that the freezes are related to these I mention below:

1. EFI at boot ( I discovered after I pulled off the rest 2ssds that my 970 evo is being recognized as "UEFI:Windows boot manager" which is strange cause when I open my 970 with clover configurator it shows my EFI normally. With 2 versions of macOS and win10 on my 3 ssds Im starting to believe that there is a complex / conflict between EFIs and maybe that was the reason.
2. Booting from a flash drive means that HEVC and jpg preview aren't working. That comes to a conclusion that gpu isn't fully configured at clover. When it was before I had freezes.
3. Booting from a flash drive means that every setting is at default everytime. That leads me to something that I was denying before. I was thinking that I don't need to make a fresh install everytime and that I can configure my macOS with clover. Now I think that the best idea is to make a fresh install with only one drive with an operating system and if possible only one internal drive connected to motherboard. Also follow a guide step by step even if everything is familiar to you... there may be something that you miss and makes the whole difference.

All these I will be able to answer when I will have my items and start building/setting up the system. This usb flash drive gave me a lot of hope cause no matter what by booting from it I don't have any freezes.

This usb flash drive gave me a lot of hope cause no matter what by booting from it I don't have any freezes.

What if you copy the EFI from the Flash drive on to the EFI on the internal Hard drive? Also while it does seem similar our issue in every thing I ever did with ever ram I ever used I do not think I ever disabled XMP! Now that I have that rig has been running great for the past 10 days no reboots no crashes. But since I do not use FCPX can't say that portion is working.

What if you copy the EFI from the Flash drive on to the EFI on the internal Hard drive? Also while it does seem similar our issue in every thing I ever did with ever ram I ever used I do not think I ever disabled XMP! Now that I have that rig has been running great for the past 10 days no reboots no crashes. But since I do not use FCPX can't say that portion is working.
Fcpx was not crashing in my occasions. Mostly when I was using the system for video editing and cpu/gpu was running high I didn't have issues. Maybe very rare. 95% of freezes when I was surfing, writing at word or at idle. Also when I had on screensaver and sometimes I was afk and it was playing, I naver had a freeze with screensaver on.

@skroutz999 I might be able to help you get your system stable. Do a DSDT dump in clover(press F4), do an IOReg save, place it in your EFI partition's EFI folder. Remove your Serials from your config.plist, compress the EFI folder and post it. But looking at what you have done so far, I can see why you are having issues. Also, that motherboard you can disable the CFG Lock in the bios. I am working on a guide in my spare time for an Asus ROG Strix Z390-I with I9-9900K and Vega 56 graphics card, but I can help you with yours since it is very similar.

15 days no freezes at all. Tomorrow Im receiving finally mobo and ram. Also Im expecting a revision 2.0 kit for my tower DarkBase Pro 900 and a psu shroud for it. Can't wait to test and upgrade.. hope everything goes well. I may create a new thread for my build if I have enough time.

Guys after 20 days without freezes today I built my new system with Designare Z390 and 32Gb Ram 3200 G.Skill Rgb. I followed CaseySj's guide and still configuring the system. Day 1 seems very good and stable. Here is my 1st benchmark.

No OC ofc. 1st system must be stable and later I will oc to 5ghz.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 17.46.38.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 17.46.38.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 79
CaseySJ 2 questions (I can write them on your thread if its better for the community). First thunderbolt 3 isn't showing after following the guide ( about this Mac -> System report -> PCI) and also with Mac mini fcpx is crashing. I tried imacpro1.1 with the settings you provided in your guide but cannot boot at all (Im booting from flash drive). Im trying to find a solution but your thread has infinite pages to read! :)

P.S. Im very excited with my new machine!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 00.55.11.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 00.55.11.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 72
CaseySJ 2 questions (I can write them on your thread if its better for the community). First thunderbolt 3 isn't showing after following the guide ( about this Mac -> System report -> PCI) and also with Mac mini fcpx is crashing. I tried imacpro1.1 with the settings you provided in your guide but cannot boot at all (Im booting from flash drive). Im trying to find a solution but your thread has infinite pages to read! :)

P.S. Im very excited with my new machine!
I can answer these questions here. Additional issues you might encounter would be better to bring up in the build thread.

Thunderbolt:
  • Thunderbolt is very sensitive to BIOS settings, in particular Thunderbolt Security. It must be disabled. Please check all other Thunderbolt BIOS settings as well.
  • Also ensure you have both of the SSDTs copied to CLOVER/ACPI/patchedfolder:
    • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml
Final Cut Pro:
  • This (and iMovie) will crash if we use a non-headless platform ID such as 0x3E9B0007. So the solution is to change platform ID to 0x3E980003 and drive the display monitor only through the RX 580.
  • You may continue to use Macmini8,1 -- but iMac18,3 should also work.
  • When 10.14.5 is released we'll experiment with iMac19,1.
I assume you're installing 10.14.4 directly. When you select "Get Info" on Install MacOS Mojave on your Mac, does it show the version as 14.4.x or 14.3.x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back