3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello guys, I have trouble with the mentioned CPU at boot, I'm building couple of new computers and I'm running desperate with the darn 9820X, I have the same build with a 9980XE and no probs, working out of the box (still needs work and some more tweaking).

Here is the setup:
Asus X299D II
Samsung NVMe 970
32Gb DDR4 2666MHz Crucial RAM (x2 16Gb)
BeQuiet 1000W PSU
RX Vega FE (also tried with Vega 64 and RX 580)
i9 9820X

I have tried with both, Mojave Installation and HS, both with tunned MB settings and with defaults, different configurations in all departments (BTW, with new Deluxe II MB you have to enable "Above 4G Decoding", otherwise it won't load, back to X99 era lol)

Main issue comes when trying to load installation, which is where I get the following KP (picture 1) also with an already installed Mojave on a M.2 drive

I have tried almost anything around the forum, with no luck, I know these CPUs are very new but why is it working with the 9980XE? I have tried swaping CPUs to rule out possible MB issue, also tried with my older X299 Deluxe board, but no luck.

Any help would be deeply appreciated since I just can't return the 9820X and will have to live stuck with it.

Note: Previous 10 core i9 9700X always gave me problems, while other CPUs from same family never did.. Could this be a 10 core issue on macOS?

THx

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 607
Last edited:
SMC.png

Looks like it may be a problem with SMCProcessor.
Maybe try without it and use FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC.

View attachment 377775

Looks like it may be a problem with SMCProcessor.
Maybe try without it and use FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC.
My first choice of SMC plugin was "fakesmc" from @RehabMan suit, but it didn't work either, that's why I changed to see if anything changed..

When you say remove, you mean remove from clover kext folder all together??

Edit: I have also tried without all the boot args, that was more a desperate attempt than anything else

I am having the same issue here. I followed @kgp 's X299 guide and used his EFI files to install macOS, however the same “report panic to apple” message shows.

I am using
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II
i9-9820X
32GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz
RX570 / RX580&GTX970 (for testing)

Not sure if the problem is related to the “above 4G decoding” option or the cpu itself.

I am having the same issue here. I followed @kgp 's X299 guide and used his EFI files to install macOS, however the same “report panic to apple” message shows.

I am using
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II
i9-9820X
32GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz
RX570 / RX580&GTX970 (for testing)

Not sure if the problem is related to the “above 4G decoding” option or the cpu itself.
Not related to Above 4G option (which you need to have as "Enabled" in X299D 2 if you want you computer to start), I have tried with a 9980XE and no issues here, I'd say is specific CPU related.

When I built my 7900X last year, I laways had trouble with it, sudden reboots, KP on the fly and some weird s**t, none of that with any of the other i9 (7820X to 7980XE), and it seems the same is happening here. TBH, I'd stay away from 9820X till there's a reason that we can understand and solve, I have tried also many different Bios configurations ad makes no difference.

I'm not sure if its an aptiofix issue (related with Above 4G usually turns to be memory allocation) id put my bet on CPU bining or perhaps a bios update with microcode or something could do.

What bios setting are you using? I'm still trying to make a SSDT for TB, but not much so far yet, still much to do.

In my case, "Above 4G decoding" option also needed to be enabled, otherwise, the computer won't even start when disabling it, and the board will show "d4" code. However, after I tried to connect an eGPU via Thunderbolt 3, no matter the video output is from the PCIe slot card or from the card in eGPU enclosure, the system can boot with "Above 4G decoding" disabled. But either enabling and disabling "Above 4G decoding", the installation shows the same KP message, so I now think that the problem is not related to the option.

My Prime X299 Deluxe II's BIOS version is 0404 (second version updated from 0210), and my setting is basically using kgp's recommendation BIOS setting.

Attachments

• Advanced-CPU.JPG
    Advanced-CPU.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 298
  • Advanced-PCH.JPG
    Advanced-PCH.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 251
  • Advanced-Platform Misc.JPG
    Advanced-Platform Misc.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 266
  • Advanced-SA.JPG
    Advanced-SA.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 247
  • Advanced-USB.JPG
    Advanced-USB.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 176
  • Boot-Boot.JPG
    Boot-Boot.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 227
  • Boot-CSM.JPG
    Boot-CSM.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 244
  • Boot-SecureBoot.JPG
    Boot-SecureBoot.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 153
  • Boot.JPG
    Boot.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 197
  • Main.JPG
    Main.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 234
  • Advanced-CPUPower.JPG
    Advanced-CPUPower.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 235
  • AI Tweaker-1.JPG
    AI Tweaker-1.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 236
  • AI Tweaker-2.JPG
    AI Tweaker-2.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 219
  • AI Tweaker-3.JPG
    AI Tweaker-3.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 251
In my case, "Above 4G decoding" option also needed to be enabled, otherwise, the computer won't even start when disabling it, and the board will show "d4" code. However, after I tried to connect an eGPU via Thunderbolt 3, no matter the video output is from the PCIe slot card or from the card in eGPU enclosure, the system can boot with "Above 4G decoding" disabled. But either enabling and disabling "Above 4G decoding", the installation shows the same KP message, so I now think that the problem is not related to the option.

My Prime X299 Deluxe II's BIOS version is 0404 (second version updated from 0210), and my setting is basically using kgp's recommendation BIOS setting.

Your problem is neither CPU related nor "Above 4G decoding" related. There are no such issues with Skylake-X and X299. Your problems are rather a result of an imcomplete or wrong system configuration.

Read and follow beginning of Section C.) of my guide to receive support in the respective thread. BTW.. did you implement a properly configured TSCAdjustReset.kext?

Last edited:
Not related to Above 4G option (which you need to have as "Enabled" in X299D 2 if you want you computer to start), I have tried with a 9980XE and no issues here, I'd say is specific CPU related.

When I built my 7900X last year, I laways had trouble with it, sudden reboots, KP on the fly and some weird s**t, none of that with any of the other i9 (7820X to 7980XE), and it seems the same is happening here. TBH, I'd stay away from 9820X till there's a reason that we can understand and solve, I have tried also many different Bios configurations ad makes no difference.

I'm not sure if its an aptiofix issue (related with Above 4G usually turns to be memory allocation) id put my bet on CPU bining or perhaps a bios update with microcode or something could do.

What bios setting are you using? I'm still trying to make a SSDT for TB, but not much so far yet, still much to do.

The i9-7900X is one of the CPUs most used along my threads. It is absolutely free of issues, which also states for all other Skylake-X CPUs.

Above 4G decoding must not be necessarely enabled with X299.

And finally, what for are you making a TB SSDT, if the latter is anyway part of my X299 SSDT Github repository and just needs to be adopted in your case?

Last edited:
My first choice of SMC plugin was "fakesmc" from @RehabMan suit, but it didn't work either, that's why I changed to see if anything changed..

When you say remove, you mean remove from clover kext folder all together??

Edit: I have also tried without all the boot args, that was more a desperate attempt than anything else

There is a modified FakeSMC and Sensor kext distribution by default implemented in my EFI-Folder distribution, which works OoB with X299 and Skylake-X.

No idea why you don’t use this EFI-Folder and what else you are doing in your system configuration to face issues with Skylake-X and X299.

Read and follow beginning of Section C of my guide to receive support in the respective thread.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Your problem is neither CPU related nor "Above 4G decoding" related. There are no such issues with Skylake-X and X299. Your problems are rather a result of an imcomplete or wrong system configuration.

Read beginning of Section C.) of my guide to receive support. BTW.. did you implement a properly configured TSCAdjustReset.kext?

@kgp I did implement my own TSCAdjustReset.kext, which I changed the IOCPUNumber to 19 (20 threads -1)

My setup:
Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II (latest BIOS version 0404)
CPU:i9-9820X (10 Cores 20 Threads)
GPU:GTX970 4GB / RX570&580 4GB
RAM:32GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz
SSD: Sandisk A400 512GB
macOS USB Install Drive: Kingston DataTraveler 16GB

My BIOS setting screenshots are at #7

I mainly used your X299 EFI files to install macOS 10.13.6 and 10.14.2, and added AppleALC, Lilu, Whatevergreen, USBInjectAll, SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE and my ownTSCAdjustReset kext into the kext folder.
The EFI files now I am using are in the attachments but I am having the same KP with @dolgarrenan during the installation.

Thank you for your support in advance!!

Attachments

• 10.13.6 EFI-AsEvil .zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 10.14.2 EFI-AsEvil.zip
    19.9 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back