CPU
i3-530
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I was also planning to build with i9-9900K and almost got it but as i9-10900K is around the corner and have 2 more cores and Hyper Threading; I am thinking to build with i9-10900K. But there is huge concern with high temperature with i9-10900K and 360 AIO is needed for build with 10th Gen i9-10900K & may still run hot!! Also I want to use 32GB DIMM per slot and total 64GB DDR4 ram (2 X 32GB) for my build but I read somewhere there is compatibility issue for hackintosh with 32GB DIMM per slot. And as i9 processor can run 2 Memory Channels Max for a task, I am not sure efficient it will be to use 4 X 16GB DIMM; especially for video rendering! Will really like some clarifications about it and I may not be understanding the "Max # of Memory Channels" for processor correctly?

So far, what I've seen online is that the heat isn't as bad as what people anticipated it to be. By lowering the die, Intel managed to keep temps within the advertised TDP when not overclocking. That being said, it's still going to be difficult to get it to the 5.3GHz Thermal Velocity Boost. Realistically, I think that overclockers can expect 5.1-5.2GHz all core turbo with a 360mm rad. Of course, you will also need a really beefy power supply to feed this power hungry monster.

Power management will probably not work right with the i9-10900K until support is added to the kernel because of the new power states and Thermal Velocity Boost.

I know that early on, some users had issues with 32GB DIMMs, but, I believe, those issues have been resolved. I don't know if Z490 has any issues. I don't think there are any penalties to using four sticks of RAM over two sticks of RAM.

I would expect most things to work due to similarities to Z390.

Last edited:
I am eying AMD Radeon Pro W5700 GPU as it has been used in Mac Pro as I am building this rig for 4K video production and rendering. But not sure whether it will support on Z490 motherboard? I saw someone used this card on X299 board with i9-10920X. I was into Radeon VII for this built but this GPU is fine tuned more for gaming that workstation purpose. So, I am still trying hard to get the best suited natively supported GPU for this build.

I am eying AMD Radeon Pro W5700 GPU as it has been used in Mac Pro as I am building this rig for 4K video production and rendering. But not sure whether it will support on Z490 motherboard? I saw someone used this card on X299 board with i9-10920X. I was into Radeon VII for this built but this GPU is fine tuned more for gaming that workstation purpose. So, I am still trying hard to get the best suited natively supported GPU for this build.

I think that for compute, the Radeon VII is better than the 5700 XT.

I think that for compute, the Radeon VII is better than the 5700 XT.
Hey @pastrychef, not 5700 XT; the AMD Radeon Pro W5700; the exact model (although it has X at the end in Mac Pro but same one) used on Mac Pro. But I did not find anywhere whether it will support with i9-10900K on Z490 board; it supports on X-299 and X-399 boards. I know there is more elbow grease needed to do hackintosh with X299 build; but the price of Mac Pro with XDR monitor left me no choice but to build a Hackintosh -_-

Hey @pastrychef, not 5700 XT; the AMD Radeon Pro W5700; the exact model (although it has X at the end in Mac Pro but same one) used on Mac Pro. But I did not find anywhere whether it will support with i9-10900K on Z490 board; it supports on X-299 and X-399 boards. I know there is more elbow grease needed to do hackintosh with X299 build; but the price of Mac Pro with XDR monitor left me no choice but to build a Hackintosh -_-

Ah... My mistake...

If it works on X299, there's no reason why it won't work on Z490.

That is awesome @pastrychef, I want to use K version as it is natively supported in Mac OS and is more stable and easier to maintain and performs great. I am not a fan of iMac lineup as it has no option for expandability and don't wanna spend around 7K on something that I can't upgrade. Also I am skeptical about the cooling in iMac that is major reason of throttling in performance. AMD Radeon Pro W5700 is the best option for me as it costs $800; AMD Radeon Pro Vega ii costs around $2000, which is overkill for this build. Oh next 1 month will be really exciting and interesting :D ;)

Last edited:
hey @pastrychef, I just noticed that AMD Radeon Pro W5700 and AMD Radeon Pro Vega II both don't have HDMI port; they only have DisplayPort 1.4. It should not be a big deal right?

hey @pastrychef, I just noticed that AMD Radeon Pro W5700 and AMD Radeon Pro Vega II both don't have HDMI port; they only have DisplayPort 1.4. It should not be a big deal right?

You are better off using DisplayPort anyway. HDMI doesn't work well with macOS at all, at least it never has for me...

Hey @pastrychef, I am having hard time in deciding; can you help me to choose. I want to use this build purely for Warstation and video production purpose. And I am not a fan of Windows and wanna stick with Mac OS but can't afford Mac Pro, the only workstation type I like as it is customizable. So I have been reading and researching on lots of posts and X299 build with i9 X series processor is looking really tempting to me for this build. Do you think I will better off performance wise if I choose X-299 + i9 X combo over Z490 + i9 K? My main concern is stability and video production and rendering performance. Sorry if the message is long but I am thinking to spend a bit more if I get the right build for the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back