Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-P
CPU
Intel CORE I5-9600K
Graphics
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS
Hi guys,

Long time lurker 1st time poster, the last time i tried hackint0sh was when distros was king. I managed to get a relatively stable version running on my AMD machine and once most of the bugs were ironed out i reverted back to windows...challenge complete...

Now a new chapter! Full new build!

A bit of advice on the suggested builds for July. I'm looking at the budget mATX build and i'm thinking of switching out the ivy bridge i5k for the i7k, mainly because I want this to last at least 5 years - so i'm thinking of longevity for any future programs that might come out...I could overclock if required and upgrade the ram/gpu (currently looking at GTX670)

I'm a graphic/web designer with a 3D background. My work spans a variety of aspects from a lot of photoshop work (sometimes 90 sheet billboards) or 1080p aftereffects videos to hypershot 3d model rendering. So i'm thinking the budget mATX plus the graphics card should see me well through for the next few years.

Would there be any problems with using the i7k over the i5k in terms of compatibility/cooling or anything else?

Would the stock front fan plus a further 92cm rear fan be ok in the Fractal design core 1000 be enough to effectively cool this bad boy? I imagine if overclocking i'd need to look into better cooling system but just for stock clock speed i should be ok?

An i7 will last longer because more and more software will work with multiple threads.
And if you are really using the performance of the CPUs, the i7 is the way to go!

The problem of the Haswell and Ivy Bridge CPUs is, that they are heating up a lot when overclocked. Best option to fight that are water cooler, but they are only interessting for overclocks beyond 4,3GHz.

With a good air cooler you will achieve 4,2GHz easily. A 92mm can be enough as long as the GPU is not heating up the internal air so much.

Why do you want to use a 670? A 770 will be cheaper and faster, but you need a good PSU for that (600W and high amps on the 12V rail -> no cheap sh*t). Also take a GPU with the original Nvidia cooler, which is pushing the hot air out of the case.

Hi Dschijn, thanks for the reply - the 770 here is more expensive than the 670...or do you mean in the long run it will keep the system a high performance machine for a while longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back