Contribute
Register

i7 Nvidia 460 GTX update from 10.6.7 halp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15IKB
CPU
i3-8130U
Graphics
UHD 620 / 1366x768
Hey fellas, first off thanks to Tony Ive been running this machine for Logic Pro for a good year two years probably, its been great.

Im ready to take the leap of faith and finally update to the final version of Snow Leopard, Ill give you guys all the details I can and hopefully you can walk me through it. First off remember that I did this like 2 years ago so it was right around when Tony was first figuring out how to get the Fermi cards to work and not have issues. To be honest I dont remember what all I had to do but I got it all to work really easy thanks to help on here. Ive been out of the loop though for the last couple of years and took a bunch of pictures of stuff to help you guys help me! :thumbup:

Stats:
Gigabyte motherboard
i7
12 gig of ram
GTX 460 Fermi
Currently 10.6.7 OS X Snow Leopard

Heres the pics. Please review and then tell me what I need to do in extremely easy to follow layman terms. What I need to download or whatever, maybe if you dont mind completely carrying me through this send me the links to the downloads as well so I choose the right one if there is anything to download. Big issue is that I know some people had problems originally with updating with these nvidia GTX cards and I dont wanna lose any of my music projects in Logic Pro.

Screenshot2013-01-11at64155PM_zps4e1d3c1d.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at64004PM_zps5d2d3a15.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at62752PM_zps5948124c.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at62711PM_zps01715b5a.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at62616PM_zps97199bbf.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at62610PM_zpsb50c9943.png

Screenshot2013-01-11at62555PM_zpsb76309a3.png

Thanks for your time and halp.

I forgot to add... I am using two hard drives. One of them is for Mac of course, the other in Windows 7 (system reserve). Originally I installed windows 7 with only one hard drive hooked up, then unhooked it, hooked the other up and installed the Hackintosh, then I plugged the windows 7 drive back up. Not sure if this information is needed but I figured I would mention it as well.

So update but don't reboot. Run MultiBeast, select the Fermi drivers, select the network kext, select the audio kext, select system utilities and install. Reboot.
That is assuming you do not have Sandy Bridge board & CPU, but since you won't follow the rules and put your board in the system block and the other hardware in your profile, who can tell?

Processor: INTEL|CORE I7 960 3.20G R
VGA: EVGA|01G-P3-1380-KR GTX460 1GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA1366 R

Sorry, like I said its been a couple years since I posted. So I need to first off download the new MultiBeast (cause mine is like 2 years old) Im guessing I should burn it to disk too if needed? Then Install the update, I was under the assumption that it will restart on its own if I do the update, is there anything I need to do to prevent the automatic restart? After not restarting, run Multibeast, select Fermi drivers, select the network kext, audio kext, system utilities and install. Will I need to go through those menus and select everything how it currently is on my system or just generally select those 4 things you mentioned?

P.S. I will update my hardware profile.

Processor: INTEL|CORE I7 960 3.20G R
VGA: EVGA|01G-P3-1380-KR GTX460 1GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA1366 R

Sorry, like I said its been a couple years since I posted. So I need to first off download the new MultiBeast (cause mine is like 2 years old) Im guessing I should burn it to disk too if needed? Then Install the update, I was under the assumption that it will restart on its own if I do the update, is there anything I need to do to prevent the automatic restart? After not restarting, run Multibeast, select Fermi drivers, select the network kext, audio kext, system utilities and install. Will I need to go through those menus and select everything how it currently is on my system or just generally select those 4 things you mentioned?

P.S. I will update my hardware profile.
You only need to select the items that OS X is going to overwrite with the update. The MB you used to install with is actually better to use than the newer one, as the newer one is geared more toward IvyBridge boards.
What I used to do was to download the combo update and open it up, but not click on the .pkg file yet. Instead, open MultiBeast and make my selections and click on continue. At the last screen with the install button, stop. Now click on the .pkg and install the update. When it says update complete, you need to restart... , click on the MultiBeast install button instead. You might have to click twice - once to activate the window and once to get the button to work. When MB is finished, close the window and click on the reboot button in the updater window. That Fermi card is the problem child here as its drivers are not in the native OS X nVidia package.

Ok, I guess I messed up somewhere along the way. Or perhaps I never did install the Nvidia package, I have no idea. Anyways... I followed instructions to the best of my knowledge and now I am getting the white apple screen and it wont proceed from there. It will go there and make a little noise for about 30 seconds then just stay solid, Ive let it sit there for about 10 mins and it never would proceed (picture Im linking is grey background, mine is actually white like normal, just mentioning this in case there is a difference). It wont crash, but it never gets the loading circle and it just stays a solid bootup screen. How can I salvage this situation, I would hate to have to wipe and start over.

I have another computer or two I can work from but they are windows. But I can burn/put anything on a flashdrive that I need to to help me get the mac fixed.

Edit: It seems I remember something about a -v verbose mode or safemode -x or something that might allow me to get in, how do I do this again, and what should I try doing if that lets me log on? I have the Nvidia update stand alone download from Tonymac, should I go in verbose mode and install that again and reboot? Thanks... like I said... its been ages since I did any of this and I cant even remember all that I have or have not done to this system.

startup-screen-big.gif

A blank screen with an apple logo is worthless for troubleshooting. You have been around long enough to know to boot verbose so you can see the POST as the system loads and take a pic of that and not the apple splash screen.

734096_402212433194938_1972846905_n_zpse14283cd.jpg

I never posted it because it looked like it went through the whole thing ok. Maybe I just looked at it wrong. Anyways I FIXED IT!!! :headbang:

Ok heres what I did!

Because safemode would not boot up, it acted just like booting up normally, neither one ever showed the loading circle, just the apple logo....

I used this command.... npci=0x2000

And I booted up like normal and low and behold I got the circle!! So about a minute or two later it booted me up, and of course it was like having no graphics card the screen resolution was 800x600. So then I installed the file "tonymacx86 NVIDIA update" the 27.8MB file I already had on the desktop, and once installed, I rebooted the system and BAM, everything is gravy now. I suuuuure hope this helps someone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back