Contribute
Register

i7 iMac Beast late 2013 / 1st Time post, please guide me :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MBP i7 2011
CPU
2.2 Core i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, just registered, 1st Time post, so if I should be somewhere else in the forum, please guide me :)

Currently running a twin SSD macbook pro w /16 gb of ram, only telling you that so you can see where I am going.

I am planning upgrades for myself and my team, so the below x 3.

Going to get the newest 2013 i7 iMac 27 (as soon as they refresh to Thunderbolt 2), and take it as far as I can with Ram upgrades to 32Gb (or more if there is a way), PCI SSD upgrades and twin eSATA SSD upgrades, I expect 3-4 TB internal SSD capacity by the time I am done.

This leaves CPU and GPU

CPU
1st Question: is the Haswell in the latest iMac 2013 (i7 3.5) Haswell a desktop model or mobil?

2nd Question: what is the fastest/most powerful Haswell that can be put in this iMac as an upgrade, as I understand the CPU is not soldered.

3rd Question: Can these Haswell CPUs be overclocked in a reliable fashion, and how.

GPU
The high end iMac 2013 i7 3.5 Haswell comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory

1st Question: Can the GPU be upgraded, and if so, to what and how

2nd Question: Can the GPU be overclocked

Any other advice or suggestions on what to do to make this the highest performing late 2013- i7 iMac Beast

Thanks in advance,
CruzinCostaRica

The new Haswell iMacs use a BGA CPU meaning they are now soldered to the logic board. Then have 1x Internal 3.5" HDD bay and 1x Proprietary PCIe SSD slot. They do not hav any eSATA ports.

GPUs and CPUs cannot be overcloved in OSX on real macs.

iMacs do use an internal proprietary GFX card but only Apple makes these and they are not easily obtainable, advisable to get the highest one available at time of purchase as you will not be upgrading this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back