Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got me some 6GB 2000Hmz

But I can get osx started with 2000Hmz

Can somebody help me out ?

it ran before with other ram?
did you overclock it?
does windows boot?
did you try windows stability tests (IntelBurnTest, Prime95, MemTest)

Success
  • 9 hours test, IntelBurnTest Max (all RAM used) + Prime95 (max heat).[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Cores Temp: 69°C, 68°C, 67°C, 66°C max. Northbridge 57°[/*:m:y66nni7s]

1. Load Optimized BIOS Settings
2. Advanced Frequency Settings
  • CPU Clock Ratio: 19x[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Advanced CPU Core Features=Turbo: Disabled, CPU Cores: All, Other Options: Enabled[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • QPI Clock Ratio: x36[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Uncore Clock Ratio: x16[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • BCLK Frequency: 200[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • System Memory Multiplyer (SPD): 6.0[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • PCI Express Frequency(Mhz): 100[/*:m:y66nni7s]
3. Advanced Memory Settings
  • Performance Enhance: Standard[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): Quick[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Channel A Timing Settings=8 8 8 22 30 (check CPU-Z for your timings by your Vendor)[/*:m:y66nni7s]
4. Advanced Voltage Settings
  • Load-Line Calibration: Standard[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • CPU Vcore: Normal[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Dynamic Vcore(DVID): +0.21250V[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.315V[/*:m:y66nni7s]
  • Rest on the fixed values that were pre set by the BIOS (probably the same like AUTO)[/*:m:y66nni7s]
5. Power Management => ErP Support: Enabled
6. For Mac OS X: HPET 64-Bit Mode, SMART enabled, AHCI instead of IDE

Idle Temp with closed case and low Fan speed: 40°C CPU, 60°C Northbridge.

Nice settings ;) and temps :)

Thanks <3. Next thing I gonna try is 3.6 and 4.0 Ghz. I will see where the temps go and if its worth to go up or down. Low temps for daily use = good. I can still OC in 2 years when the system gets to be lower end.

Yeah but aren't you at 3.8ghz already, surely 3.6ghz defeats the object.

damndoe said:
Success
  • 9 hours test, IntelBurnTest Max (all RAM used) + Prime95 (max heat).[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Cores Temp: 69°C, 68°C, 67°C, 66°C max. Northbridge 57°[/*:m:23ji9y9k]

1. Load Optimized BIOS Settings
2. Advanced Frequency Settings
  • CPU Clock Ratio: 19x[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Advanced CPU Core Features=Turbo: Disabled, CPU Cores: All, Other Options: Enabled[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • QPI Clock Ratio: x36[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Uncore Clock Ratio: x16[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • BCLK Frequency: 200[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • System Memory Multiplyer (SPD): 6.0[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • PCI Express Frequency(Mhz): 100[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
3. Advanced Memory Settings
  • Performance Enhance: Standard[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): Quick[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Channel A Timing Settings=8 8 8 22 30 (check CPU-Z for your timings by your Vendor)[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
4. Advanced Voltage Settings
  • Load-Line Calibration: Standard[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • CPU Vcore: Normal[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Dynamic Vcore(DVID): +0.21250V[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.315V[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
  • Rest on the fixed values that were pre set by the BIOS (probably the same like AUTO)[/*:m:23ji9y9k]
5. Power Management => ErP Support: Enabled
6. For Mac OS X: HPET 64-Bit Mode, SMART enabled, AHCI instead of IDE

Idle Temp with closed case and low Fan speed: 40°C CPU, 60°C Northbridge.

Nice to see someone else using DVID - it's the way forward for lower temps.

spencerlievens said:
Yeah but aren't you at 3.8ghz already, surely 3.6ghz defeats the object.

If I can make the system run at 30° instead of 40° i will go with 3.6 ;-). But I guess the QPI (7.2 GHZ) makes the Northbridge and CPU so hot. No clue, just a guess. I do not want to lower my QPI though. Maybe I will test with 1.3 instead of 1.315V QPI though... ;-) next time :). On the other side if I only get like 3°C... I wont bother. And if it only takes like 3°C I might go for 4Ghz. Only my northbridge makes me feel bad... The rest runs cool enough.

notshy said:
Nice to see someone else using DVID - it's the way forward for lower temps.
Yeah thanks. Think so too. :) Bad that I spread my thermal compound uneven and am too lazy to redo ist (I need to take out everything but HD/Optical/PSU for that :E), and bad that my CPU takes lots volts for OC, but still now its rather cool ;-)

Checking with CPUID HardwareMonitor I can get my CPUs down to 17.58w min... (max 74.58w) thats like nothing... running in case desktop use between 22°C and 29°C. DVID rules!

Well, if there is anything I've been learning with overclocking so far, it's that just because you can run a system at an insanely high speed (4.5GHz) armed with only the most basic tools of cooling (a big heat sink, big fans and BIOS settings that are just barely good enough to support it all) doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Watching a brief session of Prime95 with 12 workers at top priority bring things up to a scorching 92°C in about 3 minutes kinda put things into perspective... if you're going to spring for a high end chip, don't cheap out on the cooling!

The heat sink I've been using is only about 1/2lb more aluminum than the intel default with a couple fans clipped to the block I found for $30. Granted, foor what I paid, the thing has held up admirably... but it's just not realistic for the kind of overclocking I'm trying to use.

So, this time, I decided to bite the bullet and invest into a decent water cooling solution to replace the air cooled aluminum block. This one's not too fancy, like one of those mammoth external fish-tank jobs I've seen... this one is just a moderately sized sealed system that can be installed entirely in the casing.

I'm hoping to shave off a good 20°C or better from the sysstem temperatures under load.

I have managed to learn quite a bit about my sysstem though, espeecially how to properly balance frequency values to get the most efficient results, but I'm still not too clear on working with voltage settings, (particularly with Vcore/QPI). I've been avoiding overvolting altogether until I have the new cooling rig in place, but I suspect it could improve processor stability at the higher frequencies, particularly with the base clock above 180. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have found that I can undervolt the system memory by quite a bit without affecting the stability of the system, and seems to keep the MCH temps about 10°C cooler. (Mostly 1.3v with termination at 0.63v, vs 1.5-1.65v / 0.75v, respectively)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back