Contribute
Register

[i7-950] Safe OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
55
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm quite new to OC, last time I did it was with a Celeron 400mhz at 533mhz. :)

Anyway, I have a i7-950 at 3.68Ghz and without touching any other CPU settings besides the BCLK, which is set at 160.

I also set the PCI speed to 100 (seems to be default) and the DDR multiplier to 10 in order to get my stock 1600mhz. In addition I've adjusted the timings and voltage of the memory to the manufacturers specs.

I'm getting a GeekBench score of 11k in 32bit mode. I know it doesn't say a lot, but it's something.


Any suggestions/tips are welcome! :)
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
55
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm gonna talk a bit more to myself.
What do you guys use to monitor CPU temp?

Problem is that iStatPro gives very different readings under load than Temperature Monitor. 92 degrees vs 80 degrees. Idle they are almost the same. (67C)

Any thoughts?
 
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
1,120
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68
CPU
i7-2660k
Graphics
GTX 560Ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
olaf001 said:
I'm gonna talk a bit more to myself.
What do you guys use to monitor CPU temp?

Problem is that iStatPro gives very different readings under load than Temperature Monitor. 92 degrees vs 80 degrees. Idle they are almost the same. (67C)

Any thoughts?

Those are high temps!!! :eek:
 
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
106
Vendetta said:
Those are high temps!!! :eek:
Jealous? :D

@olaf001
Use a Windows install to monitor any overclock. Use Windows to run bench tests. Basically, abuse the shyt out of Windows and take advantage of it for overclocking purposes. ;)
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
55
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Meomy said:
Use a Windows install to monitor any overclock. Use Windows to run bench tests. Basically, abuse the shyt out of Windows and take advantage of it for overclocking purposes. ;)

I'm going to donate a HDD to Windows, unfortunatly I can't manage temps via VMware. I know this must sound crazy. ;)

Is there not any usefull OSX app for temp monitoring?
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
107
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z490 Unify ATX
CPU
Intel Core i7-10700K GA1200
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC 8GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Those temps are really, REALLY high. :eek: You may be over-volting that CPU or have insufficient cooling for that chip, or both. I'd suggest running it stock until you can slowly step up your system one bit at a time, including memory timings / voltage and cpu overclocking / voltages to monitor and evaluate the changes.

What cooling are you currently using? The Scythe Mugen II REV.B? I have the same cooler with an overclocked i7 920 @ 3.8GHz - Idle temps 40-45C Load temps 68-78C under Prime95. (CPU multiplier x19 BCLK - 200 CPU volts about 1.23 / Memory multiplier x8 for 1600 timings 9-9-9-24 volts 1.5).


- For Monitoring -

Hardware Monitor - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16 ... re-monitor

iStat Menus - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25230/istat-menus


- More Benchmarking -

XBench - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10081/xbench

Cinebench - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20748/cinebench


- CPU/Memory Stress Testing -

Prime 95 - ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/Prime95-MacOSX-2511.zip
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
55
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Idle is about 54c, stressed (Prime95) max 78c.
And that's running stock. :(

I'm really wondering what the hell is wrong in my setup. Cooling is Mugen II rev B, indeed.
 
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
1,120
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68
CPU
i7-2660k
Graphics
GTX 560Ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
olaf001 said:
Idle is about 54c, stressed (Prime95) max 78c.
And that's running stock. :(

I'm really wondering what the hell is wrong in my setup. Cooling is Mugen II rev B, indeed.

Either it's not seated properly, your case fans are turned the wrong way, there are no case fans for exhaust, you applied the thermal paste incorrectly, or it is REALLY hot in your house.
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
55
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Vendetta said:
olaf001 said:
Idle is about 54c, stressed (Prime95) max 78c.
And that's running stock. :(

I'm really wondering what the hell is wrong in my setup. Cooling is Mugen II rev B, indeed.

Either it's not seated properly, your case fans are turned the wrong way, there are no case fans for exhaust, you applied the thermal paste incorrectly, or it is REALLY hot in your house.

Well, only option 1 seems possible. When mounting the Scythe the manual was talking about 4 rings that weren't delivered with my motherboard so I mounted them without it. But I can't imagine that makes the difference. I have two exhaust fans blowing outside and the fan of the Mugen is also blowing outside.

Thermal paste, well, maybe. Applied 80% and smeared it out.

House temp: 25/26c.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top