Contribute
Register

i7 8700k / z370 (Unstable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This means your graphic card doesn’t have a UEFI VBIOS. You should check if there’s one available from your graphic adapter’s vendor and update to it. This is mandatory for booting in UEFI mode.

Otherwise you are booting legacy mode. I’ve always had better results booting UEFI mode with all my builds.

My two cents!
I was doing it wrong. I was able to disable CSM and boot UEFI. I've decided to return my 9700k and try my 8800k again with your instructions. It was way too much of a hassle to try and get the 9th gen chips up and running properly. Will report back if it's successful.

Install was a success but I'm having issues with my USB ports not working. I followed your guide to a T, the only difference was I had to use the most recent Mojave install (10.14.6) as there's no way to download 10.14.5 from Apple anymore... unless you know of a way.

Last edited:
Getting random shutdowns. "Previous shutdown cause: 5" which means "correct shutdown" - makes no sense. Can anyone please help me with this? About to throw in the towel. Attached my most recent EFI and a screenshot. This is a clean install. Nothing plugged in other than a mouse and keyboard.

Again, this is the guide I followed: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-2-x-amd-sapphire-rx580-8gb-32gb-ram.279968/ - only difference is I'm on 10.14.6

BIOS is the same as in the guide above.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.5 MB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.48.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.48.09 AM.png
    509.5 KB · Views: 43
Getting random shutdowns. "Previous shutdown cause: 5" which means "correct shutdown" - makes no sense. Can anyone please help me with this? About to throw in the towel. Attached my most recent EFI and a screenshot. This is a clean install. Nothing plugged in other than a mouse and keyboard.

Again, this is the guide I followed: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-2-x-amd-sapphire-rx580-8gb-32gb-ram.279968/ - only difference is I'm on 10.14.6

BIOS is the same as in the guide above.
This is a clean install. Nothing plugged in other than a mouse and keyboard.

Your uploaded EFI_CLOVER File Tree seems to contradict this showing a lot of kexts.

Attachments

• 1.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    1.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    470 KB · Views: 61
Check out my build. I think you can greatly simplify yours and solve a lot of issues.

Your uploaded EFI_CLOVER File Tree seems to contradict this showing a lot of kexts.
That was my doing to see if that was the problem. I copied and pasted all of ultraman's kexts from the extensions folder to the "other" folder inside my EFI partition. I do not have any add-on cards.

That was my doing to see if that was the problem. I copied and pasted all of ultraman's kexts from the extensions folder to the "other" folder inside my EFI partition. I do not have any add-on cards.
  • Remove kexts (drivers) for devices that your motherboard is NOT connected to or integrated with Chips
  • Remove ACPI >Patched SSDT.aml you have not created for your board unless you are 100% certain they are for the Chipsets on your Motherboard.
  • Boot and take BIOS screen shots and Verbose Screen shots and Upload the last used CLOVER as a zipped file.
  • Computer booting issues are the result of a combinations of factors like using the wrong hardware (hence the need for you to list all the hardware or at least the major ones like Make and Models of MoBo|CPU|Graphics ,) using the wrong or not selecting the right BIOS Setup Options used to boot an Installer disk and the CLOVER folder that is expected to work in conjunction with the given BIOS options to boot that disk to its Final destination screen.
  • The Folks on the back side of your Display screen must know what you are seeing on the monitor or what inputs you have given, to find yourself in the situation .
  • The only way we can give the right fix is to have faced the identical problem in the same hardware to guess and suggest fixes.

Hey guys, I'm almost to my wits end. The short story is that I've upgraded to an i7 9700k (9th gen) CPU after my 8800k started failing and crashing my computer. Luckily I had a warranty on it and was able to snag the 9900k with the refund. My problem is I'm unable to boot into Mojave now unless I'm using the cpus=1 boot flag. I had to upgrade my BIOS to F11 to even be able to boot the computer and anything above that I'm unable to boot into my HD at all, even with that boot flag.

My question is can anyone help me get this stable? I've searched everywhere and haven't found a solid solution. When I boot into my install the 9700k isn't showing up at all, it just says unknown. Here are my specs...

i7-9700K
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
Sapphire Pulse RX 580
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMeM.2 SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 Memory
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt Power Supply

I've attached my EFI folder and a screenshot. Hopefully one of you guys has a similar setup and can help. This build has been a complete and utter nightmare to get working and stable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've decided to ditch the 9700K, as it was way too hard to get my build up and running properly. I'm now using the 8700K and getting random shutdowns - previous shutdown cause: 5 - any and all help would be appreciated.

What are you using for heatsink/HS-fan/thermal paste?
Some of your problems look like heat issues.

Some of your problems look like heat issues.

I was thinking the same...

And what about your RAM sticks? Did you test them? They could also be the culprit...

Again, my two cents!

I'm using the Corsair Hydro Series H55 and I've never had any heating issues. HWMonitor has always shown regular temps. Is there any way to save a verbose log by the way? It goes by super fast and hard to make out everything in a video/picture. I will try to upload everything cmn699 mentioned tomorrow.

I did test memory awhile back with memtest. It was only showing one stick was bad, so I took it out and now I'm using 32gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back