Contribute
Register

i7 8700K / SSDnVme / TB3 40Gb/s / 64Go RAM / GTX 1080ti ... is it possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mt Lion
CPU
core i7 3770K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there

I plan to change my current hackintosh that was built in ... 2012

(i7 3770K, 16GB RAM / SSD SATA / GTX970)

and my needs are :

- i7 8700K
- 64Go RAM
- 1 or, better, 2 SSD nVME @3GB/s (512 GB each)
- GeForce 1080ti as i need CUDA
- very, very important : TB3, at least 1 port (if 2 is too complicated) fully fonctionnal @40Gb/s (and not a USB-C that looks like TB but in fact is a USB3 @10Gb/s)

is it possible ?

I looked for this kind of build but all i find is incomplete (i7 8700K but with no TB3, TB3 hackintosh but with i7 7700k ou 6700K only, etc, etc)

If someone have an answer and, better, a buying advice (motherboard with TB3 or mother board and TB3 card, etc)

Regards,

Alex

Hi there

I plan to change my current hackintosh that was built in ... 2012

(i7 3770K, 16GB RAM / SSD SATA / GTX970)

and my needs are :

- i7 8700K
- 64Go RAM
- 1 or, better, 2 SSD nVME @3GB/s (512 GB each)
- GeForce 1080ti as i need CUDA
- very, very important : TB3, at least 1 port (if 2 is too complicated) fully fonctionnal @40Gb/s (and not a USB-C that looks like TB but in fact is a USB3 @10Gb/s)

is it possible ?

I looked for this kind of build but all i find is incomplete (i7 8700K but with no TB3, TB3 hackintosh but with i7 7700k ou 6700K only, etc, etc)

If someone have an answer and, better, a buying advice (motherboard with TB3 or mother board and TB3 card, etc)

Regards,

Alex

At this moment there is only one Z370 motherboard that has Thunderbolt 3 onboard, an ASRock ITX board.

If you want Thunderbolt 3 on Z370 and that ASRock board does not suit you (most likely it does not as you want 64GB RAM), your only choice at the moment is to get a Thunderbolt 3 AIC (add in card), like the Asus ThunderboltEX 3, and your motherboard will need to have a Thunderbolt header. There is no guarantee that such a card will work with the motherboard you want in MacOS High Sierra, however.

Last edited:
At this moment there is only one Z370 motherboard that has Thunderbolt 3 onboard, an ASRock ITX board.

If you want Thunderbolt 3 on Z370 and that ASRock board does not suit you (most likely it does not as you want 64GB RAM), your only choice at the moment is to get a Thunderbolt 3 AIC (add in card), like the Asus ThunderboltEX 3, and your motherboard will need to have a Thunderbolt header. There is no guarantee that such a card will work with the motherboard you want in MacOS High Sierra, however.

Thank you

this mother board (Fatal1ty Z370 gaming) looks great but have some of limitations :

- 32GB RAM max :(
- 1 PCI slot only. That's not a problem, it can host the graphic card, but if i need another card later (10GbE, etc) it won't be possible
- 1 M2 slot only, which is not really a "big" problem but 2 is better, if i want to set up a SSD dedicated to After Effect cache for example

The RAM limitation is the only limitation that really, really, doesn't match my needs

HI,
i just did my new hackintosh as following:

ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Intel core i5 8600k coffee lake 6core 3.6GHz
16gb ram - Crucial ballistik Sport
Samsung SSD 500GB 960evo M.2
TeamGroup SSD 480GB (second ssd)
Thermalthake 730w smart PSU
Sharkoon case CA-I miniITX

LG 38UC99 4k curved

Installed High Sierra 10.13.2 using unibeast 8.1 and multicast 10.2.

what is recognized:
CPU, SSD, LG, Network (using appleintelmausi.kext)

what isn't recognized:
Wifi and bluetooth (intel hw, now I'm going to test ultimate driver ported from linux), audio card (even if set ALC1220 on multibeast !! I don't know why - it should work !), thunderbolt

ciao

Attachments

• diskspeeder.png
    diskspeeder.png
    692.3 KB · Views: 233
Marco, your built looks promising! I didn't even think about a miniITX Hackintosh. I was looking for an mATX or even full fledged ATX tower. But if Thunderbolt works, I wouldn't even need a second PCI slot. So, go ahead and get it to work. :thumbup: Thunderbolt 2 would suit my needs perfectly, by the way.

While I am not an expert at all, I've read several times, that you might have to install any Windows version first and install Thunderbolt drivers for your Main Board before you set up OSX on your Hackintosh. Did you do it this way?

My PC building days were in the last century, so I have to ask, if a propper GPU would fit into this rig? I'm thinking about a 1080 TI or something powerful for video post production.

Which of your SSDs did you check with BM DST?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back