Register

i7 8700K Recognised as 'Unknown' In about this mac section HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
successfully completed my high sierra hackintosh but the about this mac section is really bugging me.
does anyone know how I can get it to recognise my i7 8700K
is there anything I can modify in the clover configurator?

successfully completed my high sierra hackintosh but the about this mac section is really bugging me.
does anyone know how I can get it to recognise my i7 8700K
is there anything I can modify in the clover configurator?

assuming you have tested your power management using IPG or other form in conjunction with a benchmark it may just be a cosmetic fix. as such, please follow;

1.) Open a terminal and use the following commands:
Code:
cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings ~/Desktop/
Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings-Backup

2.) Open "AppleSystemInfo.strings" on your Desktop with TextWrangler and change

Code:
<key>UnknownCPUKind</key>
<string>Unknown</string>
to what ever you want, in my case i chose;

Code:
<string>4,4 GHz 18-core 36-thread Skylake-X i9-7980XE</string>
Save "AppleSystemInfo.strings"

3.) Run the following terminal commands:

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - ~/Desktop/AppleSystemInfo.strings
Code:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/AppleSystemInfo.strings /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/
and reboot your system.

4.) Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and in Section "CPU" set "Type" to "Unknown". Save the config.plist and reboot.

As fall back option enter the following terminal commands:

Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings
Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings-Backup /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.string
and reboot.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 15.08.51.png
assuming you have tested your power management using IPG or other form in conjunction with a benchmark it may just be a cosmetic fix. as such, please follow;

1.) Open a terminal and use the following commands:
Code:
cp /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings ~/Desktop/
Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings-Backup

2.) Open "AppleSystemInfo.strings" on your Desktop with TextWrangler and change

Code:
<string>Unknown</string>
to what ever you want, in my case i chose;

Code:
<string>4,4 GHz 18-core 36-thread Skylake-X i9-7980XE</string>
Save "AppleSystemInfo.strings"

3.) Run the following terminal commands:

Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - ~/Desktop/AppleSystemInfo.strings
Code:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/AppleSystemInfo.strings /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/
and reboot your system.

4.) Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and in Section "CPU" set "Type" to "Unknown". Save the config.plist and reboot.

As fall back option enter the following terminal commands:

Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings
Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings-Backup /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.string
and reboot.
You da real MVP.

just to confirm, youre using an ssdt.aml for the 8700?

sorry i just wanna make sure that i didnt just make u mask a bigger issue with the machine.
I have no idea what that is, I am not a noob but just not a pro! does that have to be configured in the clover configurator? Am I not getting the full power from my CPU right now? I went into terminal and stressed the CPU to 100% using all 6 cores had to open an extra 6 terminal instances to max out CPU and IPG was all good using the full 4.3GHz turbo boost

just to confirm, youre using an ssdt.aml for the 8700?

sorry i just wanna make sure that i didnt just make u mask a bigger issue with the machine.
I set plugintype and xclm which apparently for the coffee lake cpu's does the trick

i suggest following pastrychefs guide under the section power management. but by what you just described seems like it should be good. i would just benchmark with Intel Power Gadget running and confirm all is functioning.

I was successfully able to change the processor name (although CC wouldn't allow me to perform this step: Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and in Section "CPU" set "Type" to "Unknown"... field only accepts numbers).

My question is, when I performed step #1, it placed the "AppleSystemInfo.strings" file on my desktop... what's supposed to happen with this file once I'm complete? Doesn't seem like I should delete it. Do I move it somewhere specific? I don't want to stare at this straggling file on my desktop for the next several years. Does anyone know what to do with it?

Last edited:
I was successfully able to change the processor name (although CC wouldn't allow me to perform this step: Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and in Section "CPU" set "Type" to "Unknown"... field only accepts numbers).

My question is, when I performed step #1, it placed the "AppleSystemInfo.strings" file on my desktop... what's supposed to happen with this file once I'm complete? Doesn't seem like I should delete it. Do I move it somewhere specific? I don't want to stare at this straggling file on my desktop for the next several years. Does anyone know what to do with it?

Hey, I encountered the same problem here. Clover configuration can't allow me to set "Unknown" to CPU Type. It can just set accept numbers. :(

Can anyone helps?

Thanks.

I have some problem with cpu.
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-P
CPU: Core i7 8700
upload_2018-6-6_20-25-4.png

upload_2018-6-6_20-25-18.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back