Contribute
Register

i7 860 Over-clocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, had to test things out for myself. CPU Voltage increased from .83 to 1.26 on idle. Temps rose a mere 3'c on the heatsink, about 5'c on the CPU. Overall, everything seems stable. SS and Turbo all seem stable as well. Here are my GB64 results.

melon said:
OK, Here's my share on OC... :)

BIOS:
CPU Clock Ratio = 21x
CPU Frequency = 3.36Ghz
BLCK Frequency = 160
X.M.P = profile1
System Memory Multipler (SPD) = 10
Advanced CPU Core Features = All Enabled
The rest is = AUTO

Mac OS Installation:
MacPro3,1 smbios.plist
E\E folder: fakesmc.kext, Legacy888bHDA.kext, NVEnabler61.kext

GB32
Screenshot2010-11-06at115427PM.png

Screenshot2010-11-06at115347PM.png

I can't simply let go of 32bit simply because of my WiFi Card. :/
Ow men... :|

OK, here's some update...

I'm having issues on stability:
- System crashes when playing .mkv file thru QT Perian Quicktime, needs a hard restart.
- Produces some random crashes on apps like GoogleChrome and Starcraft II.
- Ext. HD takes a bit longer to read than the usual.

I think it got something to do with the CPU Vcore and Vtt Voltage???
Hmmm... I'm not a really an overclocker so I don't know much about it. :problem:
I guess I'm stock on stock settings.... :confused:

What app do you used to check system stability when OCing? I can't seem to understand how mprime works. :problem:

Do you have Turbo Boost still enabled? I would start with disabling that. Because depending on your OC, once Turbo kicks in it can ramp up the clock speed of a core up dramatically and that could be causing your OC to be unstable.

thgill said:
Do you have Turbo Boost still enabled? I would start with disabling that. Because depending on your OC, once Turbo kicks in it can ramp up the clock speed of a core up dramatically and that could be causing your OC to be unstable.

It's Enabled... I'll try Disabling it. Thanks for the tip. :D

UPDATE:
Tried already...
Running Far better with Turbo Boost Disabled but GeekBench result was lower... went down to 9500+. But then again, it's running way way better... More testing to go. :)

I just got my system back up and running with a 3.7 GHz OC with RAM at 1850MHz 8-8-8-22.

That's a 20x185 configuration. It's running stable via Lynx at a max of around 75°C. Not too shabby.

I've got to do some work optimizing, however, as my GFlops with each pass in Lynx are dropping significantly. This is confirmed with GeekBench x64 hitting around 11,800. At 3.34GHz bench is around 10K, so I may need to up the PLL until GF start to rise and then drop it a notch to get the efficiency back.

Previously, I was hitting close to 13K @ 3.6GHz/1800MHz RAM, so my config was definitely more efficient then. Unfortunately, I only wrote down 90% of the configuration and I'm unsure if the decrease in GB scores is related to OS or hardware.

Still smokes encoding 1080P video, however.

melon said:
thgill said:

It's Enabled... I'll try Disabling it. Thanks for the tip. :D

UPDATE:
Tried already...
Running Far better with Turbo Boost Disabled but GeekBench result was lower... went down to 9500+. But then again, it's running way way better... More testing to go. :)

UPDATE: (Testing phase = OK!)
Now that 10.6.5 is out. I can run my WiFi Card at 64bit.

BIOS:
CPU Clock Ratio = 21x
CPU Frequency = 3.36Ghz
BLCK Frequency = 160
X.M.P = profile1
System Memory Multipler (SPD) = 10
Advanced CPU Core Features = All Enabled, except for Turbo Boost
The rest is = AUTO

Mac OS Installation:
MacPro4,1 smbios.plist
E\E folder: fakesmc.kext, Legacy888bHDA.kext

GeekBench 64bit 12,000+