Graphics
GT240
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i7 860 3.8Ghz OC with 85C+ Load temps on Water?

I have a Gigabyte P55-UD4P board with the i7 860 processor.

I'm currently at 1.2875 Vcore and idle about 43C.

About 5 minutes into running Prime95, my temps reach 85C+.

I immediately stopped it.

I have a Corsair H50 water cooler, but when I ran this same config in windows i don't ever remember it going much over 70C.

Does CPU temp 100% contingent upon the Vcore? or are there other settings I can adjust in the BIOS? Need to reseat it?

I would say it's your cooler. I know most people who got the 860 up to the 3.8-4.0ghz mark were running v-cores of between 1.28-1.35v but every one I have ever seen were running way bigger liquid coolers than the H50.

I run a H100 on a i7 3770K and have it up to 4.7Ghz stable with 1.2v at 35c idle and it never gets above 75c under full stress test.

That being said, I have heard of the Corsair pumps not working as well over time, or maybe you need to reseat it with some fresh thermal paste.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. My cooler is now just north of 3 years old, so it's getting up there.

I'll look at possibly reseating the cooler.

Thanks

Things you can try:

- Re-seat the cooler, but you must use fresh thermal paste. I love the Shin-Etsu stuff I have.

- Get a new cooler. The H50 isn't very effective. I think the big air coolers, including the cheap ones like the Hyper 212+/Evo, actually work better-- but require a lot more space. The H-series only starts to make sense once you get up the the 100-model range or if you are space constrained in your case.

- Go through the Tech Reaction guide to overclocking i3, i5, i7 chips. And follow it precisely. Lots of things can contribute to heat, including running voltages higher than needed for stability.

Ultimately, though, it could also just be your chip. Some get really hot, or can't get stable at moderate to higher overclocks. Often there's an exponential increase in voltage needed, and therefore heat, on chips like yours (and my old i7-950) right around 3.8-3.9 Ghz, give or take.

Remember, the throttle/shutdown temp is around 100C. I think hitting 85C max temps on Prime or IntelBurnTest is OK as long as they don't report errors, and in real full-use tasks (video compression) you are in moderate/low 70s temps max. That'll mean that you'll mostly be in the 50s/60s for normal high-load tasks and 40s for low-load tasks.

I tend to do my testing in Windows if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back