Contribute
Register

i7 7700K - OVERHEATING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this definitely is a issue with your cooling situation the 7700k is a hot chip i do recommend a custom water loop if that is in the budget you have. but if that is not an option you should make sure there is no dust or cables in the way of the fan and make sure you have some good case fans to try and pull the air over and through the cooler and out the back of the case. you should also make sure your room is cool because the computer is cooling its self with the air is sucks in so if it is getting hot air it can only cool the computer with that already hot air so make sure your environment is nice and cool as well.

I am running 5.3Ghz 7700k (granted i won the silicon lottary) and after 2 hours of 800% cpu not exceeding 75C with the Corsair H115 however i added 2 x ML140 fans, I see nocturna fans talked about alot

I would also suggest forgetting about push/pull and contrary to conventional thought exhaust through the radiator yes the air being pushed will be a few degrees higher but to get the hot air out of your case is the goal

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml140-pro-140mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

p.s then for shits and giggles i underclocked my chip to 4GHz, ran 800% Cpu and I have my idle rpm set at 900rpm which is in-audible and the cpu after 30min had not exceeded 50C which is where I have my fans set to spool up. I was more impressed with this then the 5.3GHz

600Q case granted but filled with ML fans and i'm happier to run at 4GHz then 5.3 and have a silent box
Can you guide me to overclock?

I am running 5.3Ghz 7700k (granted i won the silicon lottary) and after 2 hours of 800% cpu not exceeding 75C with the Corsair H115 however i added 2 x ML140 fans, I see nocturna fans talked about alot

I would also suggest forgetting about push/pull and contrary to conventional thought exhaust through the radiator yes the air being pushed will be a few degrees higher but to get the hot air out of your case is the goal

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml140-pro-140mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

p.s then for shits and giggles i underclocked my chip to 4GHz, ran 800% Cpu and I have my idle rpm set at 900rpm which is in-audible and the cpu after 30min had not exceeded 50C which is where I have my fans set to spool up. I was more impressed with this then the 5.3GHz

600Q case granted but filled with ML fans and i'm happier to run at 4GHz then 5.3 and have a silent box

Hello nimernimer,

Didn't you need the corsair link to make H155i work properly ?
Was the installation seamless ?
Buyer's guide only recommend H110 which seem not to need corsair link (no "i" version) to work properly.

Thanks

@Hauru
You changed the voltage back down? That's all that matters for heat.

I have my 8700k OC'd to 5GHz with an H100i for lower temps.

Here in my suggestion:
Make sure your cooler is seated properly, and there is enough thermal paste. (There should just be a layer over most of the CPU.

Good luck,
Trevor

OP have you updated your BIOS? There was a known fault. They stuffed up the voltage values on the auto clocking for Kaby Lake and it runs way too hot.
will try to update. Will let you know how it goes

No wonder, that heat sink is not meant for overclocking an i7 to those frequencies. It only weighs 480grams. Go get yourself a CPU cooler with more mass and 140mm fans. The greater the mass the greater the heat transfer is.

Noctua NH-U14s (770g) or NH-C14s (820g) would be much better! If you have the space go for even a NH-D15s (980g).

Edit: I have the NH-C14 and my i5 6600K @ 4,5Ghz never goes above 50-55°C with the fans at 25-30% speed.

How is your case ventilation set up. Enough air intake / exhaust?

It does have enough air intake. Will try to buy a better CPU coller. Thanks for the info!

@Hauru
You changed the voltage back down? That's all that matters for heat.

I have my 8700k OC'd to 5GHz with an H100i for lower temps.

Here in my suggestion:
Make sure your cooler is seated properly, and there is enough thermal paste. (There should just be a layer over most of the CPU.

Good luck,
Trevor
Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the suggestion!
I see you mentioned your using the H100i, is it working ok for you for OC'ing?
I'm also wondering if the H150i Pro works for anyone yet, gonna start that detective work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back