Asus Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone.
I'm a digital artist who works in motion graphics industry for the last 10 years. I was in love with OS X at first sight and as soon as I could I became a proudly owner of a 2011 Mac Mini i5. But as the technology advances, it does not meet my needs anymore. After some days researching, I have decided to build my own Customac, but I'm pretty newbie to all this hardware environment and need a little guidance through it.
My idea is to build the faster and powerful machine possible to render 3d mainly, also use a few design/animation adobe programs. I'm so unsure if this hardware can be running OS X at full performance without any issue, bugs, etc.
At first, excuse my inexperience at this subject, and I would appreciate any help, suggestion, advice, anything to clear things up.
So here it is my weapons of choice:

mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER or GIGABYTE LGA 1151 GA-Z170
cpu: i7-6700k or i7-6800k
graphics: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 980Ti
ram: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 4x16GB DDR4 2400 MHZ (64GB TOTAL)
ssd: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
power: CORSAIR 860W AX860i
hdd or extra ssd: ???
cooling: ???
wifi: ???
bluetooth: ???

The ???'s are the ones which I have no idea or didn't find any information about compatibility, would appreciate any recommendation.
Does it all work fine together running OS X? Which is the best option? What would be better options to choose instead of these I listed here?
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
@beltra you definitely want to go with a Z170 chipset build and an I7-6700K.
If you copy the following Maximus 8 Hero build you'll have the best chance at success and a lot of good support. You can still go with the Gigabyte 980 Ti instead of the GTX 980 if you'd like. Makes no difference.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...og-maximus-viii-hero-i7-6700k-gtx-980.197284/

It's one of the most complete and well written guides for a Z170 build. You don't want to attempt an X99 chipset build with a 6800K for your first one. You'll have enough new things to learn by attempting the MyHero build. Best of luck !

@trs96 Thanks so much for reply.
You are probably right when you say I should go for an already well stablished build as I'm a total begginner at Customacs. Also you wrote that the gtx 980 ti and gtx 980 makes no difference in the build, but was it about compatibility only? Or do the graphic cards perform similarly?

@trs96 Thanks so much for reply.
You are probably right when you say I should go for an already well stablished build as I'm a total beginner at Customacs. Also you wrote that the gtx 980 ti and gtx 980 makes no difference in the build, but was it about compatibility only? Or do the graphic cards perform similarly?
They are both equally compatible. The Ti version gives you better performance. Either one is a good choice.

Thank you @trs96 for your advice. I already bought the GTX 980 ti gpu, i7-6700k and motherboard asus too. Now I'm researching memory RAM at the Buyer's Guide, and there is this CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT which is listed maybe as the most recommended one. But I cannot find any online store I can buy a set "4 X 16 GB" like this > (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4F3MNQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20), but I found the set "2 X 16 GB" like this: (http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/796...ddr4-cl16-red-bls2k16g4d240fse/?tag=ballistix). So, do you perhaps know if I can buy two 32 GB sets instead of the 64 GB, and everything will work fine anyways? Sorry if this is such a newbie question...
Another thing, will my POWER SUPPLY affect or be related to any compatibility issue? Do I need FANS on the case too, or just the CPU cooler is enough?
Thanks in advance for your time helping me out on this.
Cheers,

If you will be using more than 32 GB of ram and can't get a 64GB kit then go with two 32 GB kits of the exact same model of Crucial Ballistix Sport. Install each kit in the pairs they came with. Shouldn't be a problem. If there is you can always return them per the sites return policy. The Corsair PSU should be fully compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back