Contribute
Register

i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 - OOPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doublehead, I am sorry for you it is not working yet, but I sincerely hope you keep us updated, and perhaps summarize some of the experiences? so I don't make the same mistakes ;)

Hehe, parts still are en route. I honestly am still on the fence. If as that link indicated, you cannot even access the bios until the chip is updated. Here was his quote:
"I've just purchased a 4930K and it will not post at all, power comes on for 2 secs, then the rig turns off and does the same thing again (rinse and repeat). I have tried a 3930K and a 3960X in the board and they both work perfectly so I know it is down to the processor."

So, he ended up putting on the old processor, updating to F4y, and then all was well.

I know it would be a service to you all if I tried it, but it will cost me at least 100 bucks assuming I don't have an ebay nightmare (selling the 3930K as used after I use it to update the bios). Likewise, if I just choose to open the 3930K, I'll be able to tell you right away which revision of f4 it is... So, either way, I'll report back when its up. Again, here is the thread discussing it:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=13154.0

As you can see on that link, I brought up these problems on that thread. Someone suggested that I ask the retailer to flash the board - That they succeeded to do so. So I called NewEgg, and they gave me the phone number of Gigabyte. Ha. I guess that means no.

ACK! Got the board in from Newegg. Then sent me a 1.0 with f3 on it!!! How old is their stockpile?????

It wont even work with my new GTX 660 - that froze it dead! I had to use my old video card just to get into the bios.

SO.... If you are following the guide and buying what is recommended... Keep in mind NewEgg is selling OLD product and your video card might lock you out of your setup, so have an old one handy.

I'll flash this badboy now so I can use my new video card.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=12737.0 (That's the link that helped me figure out it was the video card zapping my setup)

I'll keep you updated as I build.

Update: Qflash wont work! It claims I need a newer version. How pleasant. Thanks Murphy! Exhuming a PC laptop to make a boot USB. BLah!

Thanks for posting the updates of your :banghead: experiences. This will help others building a socket
2011 rig avoid some of the headaches. Are you updating bios with the 3930K installed ? Will
you then swap it out for the Ivy_E chip after that ?

Very welcome my friends.

Ok, so I had to run the HPDiskStorageFormattool on a old windows Laptop to properly flash my USB drive with Dos. Then I added the latest Bios and flashed. Scary. All went swimmingly!

So, now the bios is happy with my new video card (yaay).

I tried booting off my previous Hackentosh boot SSD - It's getting tripped up by all the old kexts. I wish someone would write some kind of batch file that just removes all foreign kexts from Single User mode. So it would be like starting from scratch... Would potentially be genius but I assume it impossible as one of you geniuses would have done it by now.

So, I'm gonna go grab another SSD and get to work on a fresh install I think.

I'll report back.

Im not daring to add the Ivy Bridge - because I cant spare the 600 bucks this month. I need that refund without potential headache. Bums me out a little, perhaps the November guide should include a motherboard alternate that is newer.
But I think its a fairly trivial performance increase for that chip right? Like I'm better off waiting to buy a 8core.

Likewise, if anyone can find a SELLER that will flash the board, it should be posted.

Successful boot into Unibeast install with:
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1

Drum roll please...
I had a good install.

Booting with x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1
pulled me into the OS. There it asked if I wanted to migrate. Sure I thought as I foolishly migrated all my old kext's over.

Needless to say, after following the guide ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...a-x79s-up5-x79-c606-i7-3930k-32gb-gtx670.html) it was not booting properly. Pulling some hair... So I managed to sniff out the culprets and remove them.

Now I am firing on all 6 cores (WOW THAT BOOTS FAAAAAAAASSSSSSST) Hahahaha. Everything is working great.

BUT I need one bit of help. It WILL NOT boot without npci=1 tagged. What does that mean? How can I fix it, can i add the tag to a plist or something? Thanks! Woohooo!

Also... App store isnt working yet - I can't find any NetworkInterfaces.plist anywhere to delete. So I have to dig in a little there to solve that... Any suggestions would be lovely.

And a step further - I used easyfind to locate the apparently hidden folder. Deleting the plist now.... Rebooted and no love. This time I will try removing network interfaces and then repair permissions before rebooting...

And, no love, also if I do like the guide, just delete the NetworkInterfaces.plist then launch the app store, still no love. Help!

Just to help you feel a little better about your 3930K look at how it compares to a $1339 Xeon
processor. You made a good choice. Will be worth the extra work it took for your build.

TRS 2013-10-23 at 8.40.23 AM.jpg

It is sooooooo fast. Hahaha. Im a bit giddy about that.

Hey, if I just buy the recommended wifi card, that should solve the appstore problem right?
I followed this guide:
http://www.computersnyou.com/28/201...-app-store-login-problem-solution-hackintosh/

I also tried removing the network devices and rebooting after deleting the appropriate plist. No love.

I did use chameleon wizard to properly add the npci=0x3000 tag to the boot.plist (yaay)

So I'm beginning to lean toward getting the wifi card to solve appstore problems (theory). Unless anyone has some things to try!

thank you guys for this thread!
I was also looking for a 6-core hackintosh with the new 4930k, however gigabyte's old bios problem were unknown to me. and now, after a lot of research and since the new mac pro is already released and there is still no native kernel found, i've decided just to go with the 4770k. it won't give the performance i wished, however will give me a lot less headache. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back