Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@smak

Yes - both 770's are recognised by Resolve 10 and 11.

And I do get smooth 4K playback from most formats. The GPUs don't help much here though - they're better at image processing for grades etc. Fast storage and CPU cores/clock speeds are the key factors to consider here - and they do vary from media format to media format.

One caveat though - and you wouldn't think it's related, at first. Available SATA ports on the motherboard. For my combination of storage, I'm having to put an extra 6Gbps SATA card to enable the Clover boot drives, Velociraptors and Samsung 840's all to operate at 6Gbps. This slows down my processing GPU to PCIEx8 instead of x16. So perhaps my system's ability to play back 4K in realtime is compromised a bit.

The 4K Extreme is cool - especially outputting 4K RED/Sony to the Seiki 39" TV via HDMI. I have used it to feed a Sony X300 via HD-SDI too, and it's also fine. You do need to find a combination of Resolve version/Desktop Video version that works well for you though - Blackmagic's own forums are a good place to read up on this.

@vulpini,
You may need to make a new dsdt with the pci raid card installed. Back up and delete your current one and try to boot with the card installed.

Thank you very much, Shilohh, that worked!:)
The only issue I have now is that my system hangs for approx. 30 sec on each operation, like copying or moving files, or opening any of the system preferences. I see the spinning wheel and the finder hangs. Other programs like Firefox operate normal.
I just figured out that when I remove all the SSDT files from "EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched" and reboot, the system operates normal again, as far as I see.
Do you have a clue?

Cheers
Vulpini

@shilohh

Hi - again, many apologies for taking so long to report back on your newer SSDTs. But here it is...

Versions 2-4 all made the icons and menu bar look huge - though the Dock remained small, and the Displays preference reported the the display was in 1080p. Very strange - and of course, unusable.

However version 5 of your SSDTs 1 & 3 seems to be working well so far. 12 reboots and counting via input 1 on the HDMI switch (fed from the HDMI output of the 770 card in slot 1 on the Rampage). All have presented the desktop in 1080p at 60Hz & Overscan with no need to manually switch to the HDMI output of the other 770 card.

I haven't tried a second monitor on the system yet. Will do that after lunch. But for the work I do, it's looking promising so far. What did you do for the version 5 SSDTs that was different?

As requested, I've attached a ZIP of the IOJones and System Report files for you.

Attachments

• misteravid4930kRampage_reports.zip
    682.8 KB · Views: 65
@MisterAvid,
Great! Thanks for the feedback. Please let me know how multi monitors on card 1 works. It should work.

@Vulpini,
The ssdt for that slot must not be playing nice with the new card. Good to know. You can delete just that ssdt or SSDTs 1-5 but make sure you keep SSDT.aml. SSDT-1.aml is for slot 1. SSDT-2.aml is for slot 2 and the 3rd slot (the 3rd is actually 2b. 2 and 2b have the same pci address). SSDT-3 is for the 4th slot. SSDT-4 is the 5th and ssdt-5 is the last one.

@sholihh

Yes - one monitor on DVI, the other on HDMI. Both work fine. Mirroring on or off. The Seiki likes to default to 3840x2160@30Hz of course. But it runs happily at 1920x1080 if I set the Displays Preferences accordingly..

Curiously, the menu bar and dock appear on both screens - even when mirroring is turned off. The menu bar on the secondary screen appears greyed out. But when you click on that screen, it becomes active - and the one on the other screen greys out. As if you were changing over which screen was the primary - though this setting stays the same throughout.

The Dock seems active on both screens the whole time. And you can activate applications from either one.

Neither of these seem to harm operations at all though.

Have put things back to normal now - computer GUI on the 22" BenQ screen, and the 4K Seiki takes an HDMI video feed from the output of the Decklink 4K Extreme card. All working well. And the computer is consistently now booting up on the card that's in OS X's slot 0 (Rampage slot 1). What did you do in v5 of the SSDTs that was different to the others?

Many thanks for all your help.

@Vulpini,
The ssdt for that slot must not be playing nice with the new card. Good to know. You can delete just that ssdt or SSDTs 1-5 but make sure you keep SSDT.aml. SSDT-1.aml is for slot 1. SSDT-2.aml is for slot 2 and the 3rd slot (the 3rd is actually 2b. 2 and 2b have the same pci address). SSDT-3 is for the 4th slot. SSDT-4 is the 5th and ssdt-5 is the last one.

You are right, and SSDT-2 and also SSDT-3 cause the same problem.

My cards are:
(1)Slot1: EVGA GTX770
(2)Slot2a: Areca ARC-1200
(3)Slot2b: empty
(4)Slot3: Avid HDX Card
(5)Slot4: empty
(6)Slot5: Blackmagic Decklink SDI 4k

That's strange, because everything was working great until I installed the Areca Raid card.
But, by removing SSDT-2 and -3 the problem seems solved.

Are there any disadvantages for not using the ssdt files for some slots?

Cheers and thank you for your great help
Vulpini

@sholihh

Yes - one monitor on DVI, the other on HDMI. Both work fine. Mirroring on or off. The Seiki likes to default to 3840x2160@30Hz of course. But it runs happily at 1920x1080 if I set the Displays Preferences accordingly..

Curiously, the menu bar and dock appear on both screens - even when mirroring is turned off. The menu bar on the secondary screen appears greyed out. But when you click on that screen, it becomes active - and the one on the other screen greys out. As if you were changing over which screen was the primary - though this setting stays the same throughout.

The Dock seems active on both screens the whole time. And you can activate applications from either one.

Neither of these seem to harm operations at all though.

Have put things back to normal now - computer GUI on the 22" BenQ screen, and the 4K Seiki takes an HDMI video feed from the output of the Decklink 4K Extreme card. All working well. And the computer is consistently now booting up on the card that's in OS X's slot 0 (Rampage slot 1). What did you do in v5 of the SSDTs that was different to the others?

Many thanks for all your help.

You may be able to fix dock/menu bar issue by going to System Preferences > Mission Control > and unchecking the option that has to do with each screen having its own 'space'.

Please try booting 6,1 and turn on inject nvidia in the clover GUI.

Hi Shilohh,

sorry for the late reply but I was not able to try it out until now. And it did the trick. Perfect! Thanks a lot!

@misteravid
Here are SSDTs v5 with HDMI audio added. Please test. Thanks!
Cwith posted how to fix the menu bar issue.

The problem was injecting too many properties. The 5xx cards need these properties but the 6xx and 7xx cards get these properties from a OS X injector kext and it interferes with the SSDTs (2 injections fighting). Also, I had to use GFX1 and GFX2 instead of GFX0 and GFX1 (iMacs and MacBooks use GFX0).

Attachments

• 770 4GB Slot1 - 770 4GB Slot3 4MisterAvid v5 HDMI.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 69
You are right, and SSDT-2 and also SSDT-3 cause the same problem.

My cards are:
(1)Slot1: EVGA GTX770
(2)Slot2a: Areca ARC-1200
(3)Slot2b: empty
(4)Slot3: Avid HDX Card
(5)Slot4: empty
(6)Slot5: Blackmagic Decklink SDI 4k

That's strange, because everything was working great until I installed the Areca Raid card.
But, by removing SSDT-2 and -3 the problem seems solved.

Are there any disadvantages for not using the ssdt files for some slots?

Cheers and thank you for your great help
Vulpini
No. They just show PCI cards in sysprefs. I'll have to remove them from the OP and let users add them optionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back