Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@maerF0x0,
the 770 should be capable of 4 monitors but I haven't tried it. I had a user contact me that was having issues in mavericks with more than 2. I made him a ssdt to fully inject all the ports but he never confirmed if it worked.

@photomaton,
I've never seen that problem with Ethernet. You could try a newer version of hnak's Ethernet kext but I really can't help without experiencing it myself.

The reset issue sounds like basic system instability. Are you overclocked or are you using xmp for your ram? If so, I'd suspect you need more voltage. If you are at stock speeds, you can try a CMOS reset and load optimized default bios profile. If that doesn't help, you can try memtest to look for possible bad stick of ram. You could also pull half of your ram out and see if it still resets. Then take out those sticks and put the others back in and see if it resets. EDIT: I just looked at your parts list and if you are using trident x ram, it is not meant for x79.

@cwith,
I think MK500 used a OWC Mercury Accelsior for his 3930k R4E golden build. Check out his build

Hi Shilohh or anyone that can help ;),

I am following the guide and everything seems to be working by the book!
But I did some things I am not too sure about.
At step 8d, at the Cameleon Wizard page I tried clicking next an the bottom when I was done and nothing happened, so I clicked on "save as" SMBios.plist to desktop….was that how I was supposed to save?

At step 9a, I tried looking for the "Quadro ODE Graphics Driver" but when I click search, it says no results. FOUND ONE BY ENTERING "QUADRO K5000 FOR MAC" IN THE PRODUCT SECTION! Not sure if it's even necessary as I have the same GTX 770 as you. Do I need to install the CUDA driver? ;)

I am starting the DSDT guide and the first line is "Make sure you have all your PCI devices functioning correctly and installed in the locations you want them." And that seems like a problem to me as I am still in the "Boot OS X without caches" and in system info, my graphic card reads as "NVIDIA Chip Model 8MB". And my wifi-go card does not work (R4BE). Haven't tried sound yet. I tried updating the Chameleon Wizard but even with my ethernet cable plugged in, I get no access to the internet. I WENT AHEAD ANYWAYS AND WHEN I COMPLETED THE LIST AND BOOTED, EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING. How do I test the video card (even if the right model is now listed in the system's info) ? There is no audio, and in the sound preferences it says, no audio device detected...how can I enable onboard sound?

Also, next step is "2) Make sure your BIOS is updated to the version you want. If it is not, update it before you continue." how do I know which BIOS version do I want?

Oh and please let me know how I can supply you with the IOregs you've been needing from the R4BE.
Thanks again.:D

R4Es look sold out just about everywhere. Is there an alternative board anyone recommends?

This guide is updated to work with R4EB, which is available in the market. If you cant afford it, you can buy the x79 deluxe from asus. I personally used this guide with x79 deluxe, and it works perfectly.

@shilohh

Sorry I haven't come back to you sooner - been busy at work out of town.

The first system (the one you made the SSDT files for) is still showing the Clover UI using the 770 in slot 0. But when it reaches the OS X UI, it still switches to the other (slot 3) 770 approx. 70% of the time. As before, if I then hot-connect a monitor to the card in slot 0, the OS does not detect it, and it doesn't extend the desktop to it.

Using HDMI or DVI ports doesn't seem to make any difference. Nor does using Clover or Chimera bootloaders. for OS X 10.9.4.

However, I've tried having monitors connected to both cards prior to power up. Card in slot 0 shows the Clover UI as before. Both monitors are active when the OS X UI appears. But some of the time - though not all - the Displays setting shows that mirroring is turned on. The rest of the time, I see an extended desktop. After the OS has seen it has two displays available, I can hot-plug and unplug the cables to swap the displays around, as normal.

I can enable and disable mirroring. But most of the time, it's the card in slot 3 that becomes the primary. The strange things here is that I can see a menu bar and a dock in the other monitor - even though I've turned off mirroring, and the pointer can move freely across the divide between the monitors.

I've just tried to connect each card to the same monitor, slot 0's card via DVI and slot 3's via HDMI. Again, it defaults to having mirroring turned on. So I can see a working desktop on every boot - though every attempt, so far, gives me the HDMI output from the slot 3 card as the primary.

I did have a chance to try the new SSDTs on my second machine during the week. It's currently in use about 100 miles away.
This is almost identical - it's using a 3970X CPU, the slot 0 770 card is a Gainward, rather than a Palit. And the slot 3 Gigabyte 770 is a 2GB unit rather than a 4GB one. Same results across the board as for the 4930K system I have here.

So at the moment, if there's sufficient power available I suppose you could connect three monitors to three graphics cards in this computer. But I can't say for certain which one would be your primary and would display your UI. And if you did want an extended desktop, who knows if the screens. would stay where you wanted them to.

I'm going to see what effect having mirrored displays has on my Resolve rendering times. I might be able to live with it as-is. But I really would like to be able to make sure I only had one active UI display. Perhaps if I put in an AMD R9 to run the UI or something?

What do you think?

Cheers.

Shilohh, I just tried the process again and my Mac is up and running. Wifi is working, Blutooth wireless keyboard is working, so I'm guessing my blutooth is working. The only problem is I have no sound! I don't have speakers, but when I plug my headphones in my case port, I don't get anything. Do you know why this might be?

I think I have connected everything properly, but please help me troubleshoot

Thanks for all the information everyone! I really appreciate it! We're probably going to follow this guide to a T with an OWC 440GB PCIe SSD card and 64GB ram, will post bench scores hopefully at the end of the week

Hi all.

I've found a temporary workaround that ensures I only have one display under OS X, when I have cables from the HDMI outputs of both GTX770 cards plugged in at the same time.

I've put an HDMI switch in between these cables and my monitor, and make sure that it's set to the one from the slot 0 card during boot up. This ensures I can always see the splash screen, BIOS (if needed) and Clover UI.

If the screen then stays blank and reports no signal, then I can just switch over to the other cable, and I'll see my OS X UI. When I check System Information, I have one card with a monitor connected, and the other is not. This is the configuration I require for my DaVinci Resolve setup.

It's not perfect, but I can live with it for now.

@shilohh - please be aware that the new SSDTs you sent me haven't worked. And I still am unable to predict when OS X will use one GTX770 card or the other. I'm going to borrow a GTX670 from work towards the end of the week, and will try that out as a GUI card. Will report on that next weekend, work permitting.

It may be worth noting that the card in slot 0 does not appear to have 16 PCI lanes to play with. OS X System Information says it's only at x8.

My slots are pretty full - so the setup may not be optimal. But here it is...

OS X Slot 0 PCIE_x16_1 Gainward GTX770 4GB (OS X reports 8 PCIE lanes)
OS X Slot ? PCIE_x8_2A (not used - covered by Gainward GTX770 fan assembly)
OS X Slot ? PCIE_x8_2B Asus U3S6 SATA/USB card (PCIE x4)
OS X shows the USB and AHCI controllers separately in the PCI Slots area of System Information (both at "Link x1" speed):
AHCI Controller = "Ethernet@5,0,0"
USB3 eXtensible Host Controller = "Ethernet@4,0,0"
OS X Slot 3 PCIE_x16/8_3 Gigabyte GTX770 4GB (OS X reports 8 PCIE lanes - to be expected, as lanes are shared with the last slot)
OS X Slot ? PCIEX1_1 (not used - covered by Gigabyte GTX770 fan assembly)
OS X Slot 5 PCIE_x8_4 Blackmagic Decklink 4K Extreme (PCIE x4)

You can boot without his ssdt but some of your hardware won't work like wifi and audio. I do all patching of onboard devices in dsdt and all removable devices with ssdt s.

Hi Shilohh,

I have a similar build as yours (R4E) and managed to get everything up by following your guide using Clover. However one thing is driving me up the wall.. i am unable to get the Audio up.

Have tried a lot of ways including building the DSDT and patching it.. But none of it works. Under system preference there is nothing to select even for output device.

Please advise, Thanks a million~!

Colly

Hello shilohh ! first thanks for your fantastic tutorial, it worked for me (asus x79 deluxe, 4930k, 780ti) :)

(sorry for my English, I'm French)

I have a second ssd which is empty. I would install windows 7 on it, for dualboot. But I had to disable csm and to change boot priority to "other OS" when I installed Mavericks. How could I do to install windows on my second ssd, and to choose the OS when I boot? (because I'm in uefi boot)

Oh and I have a second question : in "about this mac" section, it tells me that I have a xeon e5 3,4ghz, but my processor is an i7 4930k... is there a problem in my install? (it gives me the right gpu '780ti')

Thank you again !!

Jeff.

Hi All,

Besides the occasional black screen during startup (i really can't find the reason for this), my system has been running stable for 2 weeks now. I decided to tweak it to run the CPU @ 4.4Ghz and Memory @ 2133. Here are my benchmarks.

Regarding the black screen boot ups, whenever i reboot again it's gone... very strange... any ideas?
I have the Nvidia Web drivers installed.
These are my boot arguments from the EFI config.plist

<key>Arguments</key> <string>npci=0x2000 dart=0 darkwake=10 -gux_nosleep nvda_drv=1</string>

One bizarre thing I realised just now when using the EFI Mount util. My MacOS boot drive is now disk0 whilst before it was always disk1 ????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.42.07.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.42.07.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.47.33.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.47.33.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.55.06.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 18.55.06.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.