Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again everyone!

After playing with "Dark Mode" on my MacBook, I became addicted. So I am testing 10.14 Mojave using a separate SSD drive on my trusty old 3930k Hackintosh.

It went pretty well so far. What I did:
-----------------
INITIAL INSTALLATION
-----------------
1) Since I have been on 10.12, and there is no way to get APFS support, I decided to install from my MacBook. I booted the MacBook up in recovery mode and connected the new SSD externally in a USB-3 enclosure. I formatted the disk using GUID and APFS. Then I installed 10.14. I went ahead and set up a user on first boot (still running on the MacBook).
2) I downloaded the newest Clover and installed on the external USB drive.
NOTE: Above steps could be done the usual way with a USB stick that has the apfs.efi installed; but I was lazy and had the MacBook handy.
-----------------
FIX UP CLOVER - copying files from my old working 10.12 clover EFI
-----------------
3) I mounted the EFI partition using "EFI Mounter V3" app and copied all the kexts from /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.14 (AppleIntelE1000e.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and realtekALC.kext).
4) I copied missing drivers:
/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
apfs.efi <- downloaded the appropriate 10.14 version of this
5) I copied missing config files:
/CLOVER/
config.plist
/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/
config.plist
/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName/UEFI/
config.plist
-----------------
FIRST BOOT ON HACKINTOSH
-----------------
6) At the Clover screen I booted with nv_disable=1 and also -v
7) Once booted up in low resolution, I ran shilohh's trusty AGDPfix and rebooted.

Now I am running my dual displays at full resolution with Metal support in Mojave! It has actually been very stable! Next I need to fix my audio and SpeedStep.

I didn't have any luck using the newest version of the audio script from shilohh's guide. It runs but I have no audio.

Now I have to figure out how to get the very basic SpeedStep I use running (I'm basically running 4.2Ghz without much stepping). At the moment I seem to be locked at 3.2Ghz on all cores. Unfortunately I cannot use the full power management setup shiloh uses because my particular 3930k CPU causes crashes when the speed/voltage drops too far...but is 100% stable as long as that never happens. Oh well, at least I can switch back to full speed 10.12 at any time by just swapping SSD drives.

I have been messing around with creating SSDT files; but am pretty rusty. I included my EFI partition (EFI.zip) in case anyone wants to look it over.

This won't be my main system until I can figure out these issues; but it's cool to try!

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 9.10.47 AM.png
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 2047 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x1180

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.04.47.00.2e

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

EDIT: Hah! Just noticed my <key>SerialNumber</key> is set to the default. I wonder how long I've been running 10.12 like that? Probably since I updated years ago :-/

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.5 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Hello guys
I have one question to you: I have the configuration (R4E + i7 4930 + GTX1080) that upgraded to HS recently - and sleep stopped to work (or works partially: screen goes black but motherboard/fans are still power on). Does anyone with sleep working could share config or pointing me where to debug this problem?

Regards and TIA
Pawel

Just a quick follow up to my 10.14 upgrade post:

I have SpeedStep working great by using the enclosed kexts from 10.13.6. They are patched using the same technique in my 10.12 upgrade post. Just install them using your favorite kext installer utility and you are set.

I have upgraded to 10.14.1. After fixing my serial number I have even have full Messages support. Mojave in dark mode really rocks!

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.07.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.10.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.10.56 PM.png

Warning: This is great if you have a Mojave supported GPU like my GTX 680; but not so great if you do not.

Attachments

• 10-13-6_Patched.zip
    100.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Congratulation on getting Mohave running MK500!

I'm having issues getting up to High Sierra from Sierra. The installer worked fine but I'm having bootloader issues. Sometimes I can get into High Sierra but often the system just reboots and refuses to boot in HS. I've tried multiple variations of EFI and non of them are consistent.

Could someone post the image of their EFI in High Sierra?
I'm on a R4BE, i7-4930k, GTX 980ti.

Thanks!

Congratulation on getting Mohave running MK500!

I'm having issues getting up to High Sierra from Sierra. The installer worked fine but I'm having bootloader issues. Sometimes I can get into High Sierra but often the system just reboots and refuses to boot in HS. I've tried multiple variations of EFI and non of them are consistent.

Could someone post the image of their EFI in High Sierra?
I'm on a R4BE, i7-4930k, GTX 980ti.

Thanks!

Give this a go, works ok here, currently getting Mojave working.
I'm on a R4BE, i7-4930k, GTX 780Ti's x2 Kingpins
High Sierra 13.6

Having difficulty uploading efi image config for starters, explain how, and I'll do it for you

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 242
High Sierra 13.6

Having difficulty uploading efi image config for starters, explain how, and I'll do it for you

Thanks for your reply, Blindfitter!

I finally was able to resolve my bootloader issue by removing a conflicting SMC kext, system now boots fine!
I'm still curious to see a "proper" EFI partition though, I might have too many Drivers64 UEFI and kexts installed.
Mine is attached.

Thanks for the help!

P*

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.11.29.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.11.29.png
    1 MB · Views: 186
Hi, Here you go for comparison, ? why have you doubled up kexts in 10.13 and other, you haven't got them doubled again in S,L,E.

have now got Mojave running on most apps, will when fully done up date here, used MK500 idea of loading Mojave onto separate ssd then transferring to x79 and going from there, some updated kexts and drivers and it's running ok.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 17.57.14.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 17.57.14.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 215
Hi, Here you go for comparison, ? why have you doubled up kexts in 10.13 and other, you haven't got them doubled again in S,L,E.

have now got Mojave running on most apps, will when fully done up date here, used MK500 idea of loading Mojave onto separate ssd then transferring to x79 and going from there, some updated kexts and drivers and it's running ok.

Funny how different systems require different kexts. My system goes into kernel panic and reboot loop if I use Lilu.kext. Totally had to remove it. I'm now running a leaner EFI kext list, closer to MK500 above. It is slow to boot but runs fine afterwards. I feel there's probably a kext causing the issue in S/L/E. I didn't think the system could run without the GenericUSBXHCI but it doesn't seem to need it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.14.24.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.14.24.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 171
High Sierra 13.6

You need to right click on the EFI folder and select compress. That way it will upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back