i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have G.skill 2x4gb DDR3 on stock frequency (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT):
  • DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
  • Timing 9-9-9-24
  • Cas Latency 9
  • Voltage 1.5V
It is possible that your lower score is due to your lower speed memory. If your ram is capable of running a XMP Profile (RAM Overclock), try enabling it and retesting. If your ram is running at 1333 without XMP enabled, Profile 1 would probably bring it up to 1600. I'm not sure how the exact math works out, but the information from every CPU computation is read from and written to RAM. If your ram is too slow for your CPU's frequency it becomes a bottleneck, effectively limiting how fast the CPU can process. If your ram is faster than the CPU frequency, your wasting power and creating excess heat for no additional performance gain. It's a balance of performance and efficiency.

I understand that, I'm just not convinced that I was looking at the right log for the lockup.

It was dated from 2 days previously and the panic log hasn't been updated with a current date, when I've tried booting from the new OS drive since then.

I only mentioned it because I wasn't sure WHERE I should be looking for the correct log.
Ah, OK. When it locks up, does it restart automatically? When it restarts (whether automatically or manually by you) after locking up, do you get a warning about it restarting because of a problem? If so, when you click the button to report, you will be shown the panic report for that kernel panic. The extensions (kexts) in backtrace will help determine the cause of that panic.

Ah, OK. When it locks up, does it restart automatically? When it restarts (whether automatically or manually by you) after locking up, do you get a warning about it restarting because of a problem? If so, when you click the button to report, you will be shown the panic report for that kernel panic. The extensions (kexts) in backtrace will help determine the cause of that panic.

I get no warnings or any options to report, it just freezes up and nothing responds, I have to hit the reset button. There is heavy disk activity light going around the time though, so presumably something is happening. It usually happens within seconds of logging in.

I get no warnings or any options to report, it just freezes up and nothing responds, I have to hit the reset button. There is heavy disk activity light going around the time though, so presumably something is happening. It usually happens within seconds of logging in.
If the issue was logged, I would think you would find a record of it here: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Do you have any spinning hard drives in your system? If so check for errors with them as well. One time I had a failing 2nd data drive that was causing my system to freeze. If it were a spinning beach ball, I suggest turning off "put hard disks to sleep when possible"

If the issue was logged, I would think you would find a record of it here: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Do you have any spinning hard drives in your system? If so check for errors with them as well. One time I had a failing 2nd data drive that was causing my system to freeze. If it were a spinning beach ball, I suggest turning off "put hard disks to sleep when possible"

I got an updated log and it does seem to be the NVME kext.

I think the furious disk activity was it writing a log and I usually rebooted before it finished. Which is why I wasn't getting an updated log.

I think I know what's happening. I did part of the setup from my NVME drive and it must have gotten linked in to the kernal when it was making things.

I'll try it with booting to ignore caches. I'm not sure how to get rid of the link though.

OTOH, I re-did it from scratch, but it seems like it is still suffering from the same issue.

Last edited:
I got an updated log and it does seem to be the NVME kext.

I think the furious disk activity was it writing a log and I usually rebooted before it finished. Which is why I wasn't getting an updated log.

I think I know what's happening. I did part of the setup from my NVME drive and it must have gotten linked in to the kernal when it was making things.

I'll try it with booting to ignore caches. I'm not sure how to get rid of the link though.

OTOH, I re-did it from scratch, but it seems like it is still suffering from the same issue.
I've never used a NVME device so I can't add any useful info. I'd contact the kext developers.

Hey @shilohorev

So long ago I give up on upgrading my 10.10 hackintosh because it worked, and 10.11 had a lot of USB3 issues and needed effort. I decided to try 10.12 and report my result using your files.

Everything worked, installation and post installation went smoothly with little deviation from the guide.

For X79 D users, use R4BE files. You do not need to disable your Asmedia USB 3.0 in BIOS, and most importantly use OsxAptioFixDrv-64 instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 in both installation drive and boot drive. OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 causes panic. For kexts use MultiBeast and get ALC1150 for audio, 3rd Party SATA, FakeSMC, IntelE1000e 3.3.3, and RealtekRTL8111 2.2.1, of course don't forget the power management kext mentioned in the guide, and Pike SSDT. USB3 works natively, I did not try any 3rd Party USB 3 kexts.

Edit: Should I use Nvidia Web driver? I bought my 780 2 years ago and the guide says "newer" 780s.
Edit 2: Ok I actually couldn't get WiFi/Bluetooth to work. I don't usually use those features but it seems that location service needs Airport which needs blueooth/wifi I guess? Any ideas?
Edit 3: Sorry for the many edits. I tried adding in a DSDT because I figured its probably because I need a WiFi patch. But that didn't work out, it causes a panic.

Last edited:
Hey all, not sure if you can help me with this problem.

I built this around 2 years ago?? I think. I've noticed that the computer has become more unresponsive. I have to click applications multiple times for it to open. I'll try to click the scroll bar on the right side of the page and I'll have to click it more than once to grab onto it.

I'm not sure what problem this might be. Anybody have any ideas?

hello. I'm rebuilding my old hackintosh that was successfully stable on 10.8 for 3 years until a week ago when I tried updating some audio kexts. I'm now attempting to boot from usb to yosemite.

my build is asus rampage iv extreme, i7-3930k @ 3.2, asus geforce gtx670 2gb, 32gb corsair vengeance ram

when I boot OS X Install from OX X Yosemite, my progress bar shows the apple icon and gets to about 1/3 complete then the apple changes to the international 'no' symbol.

posting here in case someone can help - do I need to change 'Graphics Injector' settings? I saw on this forum that 1/3 progress can mean issue with the graphics card.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Need more information. How did you build the USB installer? From where did you download Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back