Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shilohh
What wifi card are you using ?
I´m using this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21
In El Capitan the only issue i had was that i had to shut down comp if i was booted to Windows 10
(seperate ssd) and start it again if the wifi card would recognice my router.
In Os Sierra i had serius problems with wifi but after a lot of research it turned out that it was the Inateck KTU3FR-5021
that was causing the problems.
Removing that solved it.
Then i tried to enable internal Asmedia USB3 and used the GenericUSB3 kext in Clover Kext Other.
But the Os Sierra could´nt boot
I don´t think that GenericUSB3.kext is compatible with Os Sierra.
And i mistake that the wifi/Inatek conflict is a SSDT matter

Hi Shilohh
What wifi card are you using ?
I´m using this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21
In El Capitan the only issue i had was that i had to shut down comp if i was booted to Windows 10
(seperate ssd) and start it again if the wifi card would recognice my router.
In Os Sierra i had serius problems with wifi but after a lot of research it turned out that it was the Inateck KTU3FR-5021
that was causing the problems.
Removing that solved it.
Then i tried to enable internal Asmedia USB3 and used the GenericUSB3 kext in Clover Kext Other.
But the Os Sierra could´nt boot
I don´t think that GenericUSB3.kext is compatible with Os Sierra.
And i mistake that the wifi/Inatek conflict is a SSDT matter
I am using the onboard wifi on the R4 Black Edition. I recently switched my Inateck 7 port card for a 4 port Inateck (2 on back an 2 at the header for the case) because 4 port Inatecks have no built in hubs. The hubs were creating some issues with sleep.

noob question: can this be installed as raid 0? thanks

noob question: can this be installed as raid 0? thanks
Haven't tried as SSDs are so fast on their own. If you want to do onboard hardware raid you might render all sata ports useless for single drives (ahci) as the change in the bios might be system wide (or I might be completely wrong). Not sure if you can switch to raid for just Intel ports or aftermarket onboard ports separately but that would help if you have other sata drives you want to run as ahci. Of the top of my head, I don't think that's possible.

You can do apple software raid but disk untility after Yosemite is missing the necessary tools to create the set. You'll need to use terminal to do it in el capitan or Sierra. Or patch a Yosemite disk utility app to work in newer OSs. I would think a hardware PCIE raid card would be the best option so you can keep the onboard sata controllers in ahci mode and use single sata drives on them.

Any rout you choose, I'd use a USB stick (always plugged in) to contain clover and all it's files (efi partition) so you have 1 single place to adjust and make changes. Otherwise you'll need to maintain duplicates the files in the efi partitions of every disk in the array. You'd set the USB stick as the 1st boot option in the bios, then set the name of the raid set you want to boot from in the clover config.plist as the drive to automatically boot from.

Last edited:
Haven't tried as SSDs are so fast on their own. If you want to do onboard hardware raid you will render all sata ports useless for single drives (ahci) as the change in the bios is system wide. Not sure if you can switch to raid for just Intel ports or aftermarket onboard ports separately but that would help if you have other sata drives you want to run as ahci. Of the top of my head, I don't think that's possible.

You can do apple software raid but disk untility after Yosemite is missing the necessary tools to create the set. You'll need to use terminal to do it in el capitan or Sierra. Or patch a Yosemite disk utility app to work in newer OSs. I would think a hardware PCIE raid card would be the best option so you can keep the onboard sata controllers in ahci mode and use single sata drives on them.

Any rout you choose, I'd use a USB stick (always plugged in) to contain clover and all it's files (efi partition) so you have 1 single place to adjust and make changes. Otherwise you'll need to maintain duplicates the files in the efi partitions of every disk in the array. You'd set the USB stick as the 1st boot option in the bios, then set the name of the raid set you want to boot from in the clover config.plist as the drive to automatically boot from.

Excuse my Edit, I stated that incorrectly
You will not loose the ability to have single drives, when you activate RAID in BIOS you are presented with an Intel raid utility that you configure through its own pre-boot DOS like interface, it will detect all drives and if you leave your boot drives as-is and raid the others you want together then boot macOS and format that RAID drive as either a storage drive or us Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate your macOS drive onto the raid then install clover to the RAID drive EFI, in sierra its easiest to use Clover configurator to mount both the original boot EFI partition and the RAID EFI partion then copy ALL files/folders from the current non-RAID EFI over to the RAID EFI replacing all, then physically disconnect your non-Raid boot drive, restart the system then set in the ASUS BIOS your RAID drive as the boot option #1, test things out for a bit before you re-connect the non-RAID boot drive and erase it for other use though

If you are just going to use RAID for a storage drive then i suggest using Softraid 5.5.5 instead of hardware RAID, you have many more RAID options, i currently have 4 2tb drives in a RAID 4 config using Softraid

Last edited:
Had success doing a clean install on my R4G using clover v3726 for Sierra. Was running into a brick wall with using the newer 3766 on a usb thumb drive. Used my normal Efi boot disk with v3726 on it and chose the usb thumbstick and installed to a new drive. I have no Powermanagement working atm and haven't tested usb3. All usb2 ports seem to work.

Hey Shilohh,

I have been running the same build as MK500 since late 2012. This thing has been fantastic as I use it mainly for AE, Maya, and Premier work. I purchased a new hard drive to run Sierra on and I am getting stuck pretty early in the process. When I go to create the USB on Step 4 I copy and paste the code
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/CloverUSB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

This gives me the return to enter my password. I do and then nothing happens. I have check and rechecked the directories and they are the same in my build as the copied code.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can make it past step 4? I will upload a screenshot of what I am seeing. I am trying to make a completely new install on this machine. It is the 3930K intel with all the same specs as the MK500 machine. Clover version is 3773, and I am on Mac 10.7.5

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 5.58.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 5.58.35 PM.png
    43 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I followed this guide after finish I can boot to macOS but my audio are missing. I just use audio_CloverALC-master.zip you can find from first post of this thread.

0. Run latest version of Clover from sourceforge after completed EFI partition will auto mount (I can't use Mount OS EFI.app cause permission denied)
1. Extract audio_CloverALC-master.zip and go to audio_CloverALC-master folder then double click audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip you'll get audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command file.
2. Double click audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command
3. Password:
4. Confirm Codec ALCxxx: (885, 887, 888, 889, 892, 898, 1150 only)
5. Clover/Legacy: answer y to Confirm Clover Legacy Install (y/n)
6. Clover Audio ID Injection (y/n):
7. Use Audio ID: x (y/n):
8. Terminal will ask for some file need to override: y
9. restart

I get black screen two time I try to restart again it's work.
but when I restart next time the problem is come back.

Hey Link, I followed your post, it worked like a charm after I figured out my password.
Thanks,

Last edited:
I am using the onboard wifi on the R4 Black Edition. I recently switched my Inateck 7 port card for a 4 port Inateck (2 on back an 2 at the header for the case) because 4 port Inatecks have no built in hubs. The hubs were creating some issues with sleep.
I ordered a 4 port Inateck like yours but that did´nt solve my problem.

So today i bought a second hand Asus U3S6 (very cheap)(23 usd)

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/U3S6/

And now problem is solved :)

And i got 2 more Sata 6GBs ports :thumbup:

Just wanted to say Thank you so much shilohh!! and to all other contributors to this guide!

I tried for days following the basic, for some reason I could not find this thread when searching for "Asus Rampage IV"

I am happy to say that I got my system up and running with a direct install of macOS Sierra and it is 99.999999999% working

the only issue that I have is I can not seem to have both of my MSI GTX 780 Lightning's connected simultaneously, the boot crashes and I get a kernel panic

It's ok, just a bummer, I simply used the PCI_X16 lane switch to shut off the second card, I hope to be able get a dual boot Win10pro config going after I find the information to achieve that, but I think I am just going to revel in my delight for the time being.

Hello,
I have the same hardware as you, did you get speed step to work? Also, what Bios version are you using and are you overclocking?

Many thanks in advance!
Miro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back