Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MK500,
Try running without the X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext and see if that helps.

@CB92,
Please update your profile to list all your major components especially graphics (GPU/Video card)

Or at least tell me what card you're using. Thanks

@Shiohh,
I have an Asus HD5450 1GB.

@MK500,
I have Searched alot of those forms most of which are dead ends to me, the closest Ive came was with this thread. Again Im new to this.

@Shiohh,
I have an Asus HD5450 1GB.

@MK500,
I have Searched alot of those forms most of which are dead ends to me, the closest Ive came was with this thread. Again Im new to this.
Probably an issue because you have an unsupported GPU.
See
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293049-guide-mavericks-yosemite-amd-radeon-hd5450/

You can also try clover's graphics injector with the fake ID mentioned in the thread. Also try boot without caches and see if you can snap a pic if the verbose output freezes somewhere for long enough.

To Everyone!

The newest Nvidia web drivers will kernel panic your system if you're using the MacPro6,1 system definition, as we all have been. Not a problem for those of us with a 770 or other natively supported GPUs. All we need to do is uninstall the Nvidia web driver. For those of you with unsupported GPUs i.e. newer Titans/780s/780ti/740/750ti or 9xx cards, you can use the MacPro5,1 system definition. You will still have speedstep but you will draw a little more power at idle and loose 1 multiplier. This is the price you must pay to use the Nvidia web driver.

1) Install the attached kext.

2) Use the attached config.plist after adding your UUID and unique serial number to it. Delete the old one and put it in EFI/clover.

3) Delete ssdt.aml from EFI/clover/acpi/patched.

Reboot.

View attachment 132958 View attachment 132962

Are the KPs happening on boot or is it random? I ask because I updated to the new driver while still using MacPro6,1 and was in the OS for several hours yesterday without a KP. Updating to the newest Nvidia driver actually solved my bootloop when running dual monitors and 6,1 as well. I'm fine with switch to 5,1 for the time being, just looking for more info on the issues people are having.

Are the KPs happening on boot or is it random? I ask because I updated to the new driver while still using MacPro6,1 and was in the OS for several hours yesterday without a KP. Updating to the newest Nvidia driver actually solved my bootloop when running dual monitors and 6,1 as well. I'm fine with switch to 5,1 for the time being, just looking for more info on the issues people are having.
The 2nd and 3rd versions for 10.10.2 KPed my system at boot when the web driver tried to load. I figured that nvidia started writing an system ID check into the kexts themselves and not just the preference pane.

Thanks Shilohh for the awesome guide. I've followed it to build a machine similar to Eric's (except my GTX 770 is an MSI version with 2GB as opposed to 4). It's been running great until now, but I've updated to 10.10.3 using the combo update and I can no longer boot. At the Apple logo I see the progress bar get to about 1/4 or 1/3rd of the way and then I just get a black screen. I was running the Nvidia web drivers before updating (I know I don't need the web drivers for my GTX 770 but you mentioned in a previous post that they were preferable to Apple's native drivers). I'm not sure if the drivers are causing the problem but thought I should mention it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've uninstalled the Nvidia web drivers from a clone I made of the boot drive before running the combo update. I then updated the clone with the combo update and now at the Apple logo, the progress bar gets to about 1/4 of the way before it gets stuck. Doesn't even get to the black screen.

Hi shilohh,
I am re-installing my system due to some stupid things I unfortunately have done...
Following again your instructions, I have one issue:
In the comments you mention "Added SSDTs 1-5 for PCI card detection.".
I can not find these files. Do I need them, if I only have one single GPU and no other cards attached?
If yes, where can I find them?

:clap:In addition to my question please allow me to thank you for your work! Because of your post, I have a very fast, very flexible and very stable system up and running!:clap:

Regards, tak21

Thanks Shilohh for the awesome guide. I've followed it to build a machine similar to Eric's (except my GTX 770 is an MSI version with 2GB as opposed to 4). It's been running great until now, but I've updated to 10.10.3 using the combo update and I can no longer boot. At the Apple logo I see the progress bar get to about 1/4 or 1/3rd of the way and then I just get a black screen. I was running the Nvidia web drivers before updating (I know I don't need the web drivers for my GTX 770 but you mentioned in a previous post that they were preferable to Apple's native drivers). I'm not sure if the drivers are causing the problem but thought I should mention it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've uninstalled the Nvidia web drivers from a clone I made of the boot drive before running the combo update. I then updated the clone with the combo update and now at the Apple logo, the progress bar gets to about 1/4 of the way before it gets stuck. Doesn't even get to the black screen.

Have you had any luck? I'm having the exact same problem, my card has the same specs but is an Asus.

I reinstalled 10.10.2! Scared to try this again because I don't want to be stuck without a solution.

Have you had any luck? I'm having the exact same problem, my card has the same specs but is an Asus.

I reinstalled 10.10.2! Scared to try this again because I don't want to be stuck without a solution.

No, I haven't. I tried changing the SMBios to Mac Pro 5,1 (using Shilohh's instructions-post #1293) as I read on the 10.10.3 Update thread that that solved the black screen problem for some. Didn't work for me. I've rolled back to 10.10.2 for the time being as well.

EDIT: Solved! I followed post #204 from the 10.10.3 Update thread

http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-21.html#post1018607

It should be clarified that the change needs to made in the info.plist file found in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Earlier posts suggested that you change "Config2" to "none" which didn't work for me. Changing "Config1" to "none" worked. Upon reboot trim was still working but had to reinstall audio kext from Multibeast 6.1. Hope this helps others with the black screen after the 10.10.3 update.

cheers!

No, I haven't. I tried changing the SMBios to Mac Pro 5,1 (using Shilohh's instructions-post #1293) as I read on the 10.10.3 Update thread that that solved the black screen problem for some. Didn't work for me. I've rolled back to 10.10.2 for the time being as well.

EDIT: Solved! I followed post #204 from the 10.10.3 Update thread

http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-21.html#post1018607

It should be clarified that the change needs to made in the info.plist file found in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Earlier posts suggested that you change "Config2" to "none" which didn't work for me. Changing "Config1" to "none" worked. Upon reboot trim was still working but had to reinstall audio kext from Multibeast 6.1. Hope this helps others with the black screen after the 10.10.3 update.

cheers!

Nice work! Did you do the Combo Update or update through the App Store?

Did you manage to boot into the OS before you changed the info.plist?

I'll be giving this a try later today. Excited to start using the Photos app!

Nice work! Did you do the Combo Update or update through the App Store?

Did you manage to boot into the OS before you changed the info.plist?

I'll be giving this a try later today. Excited to start using the Photos app!

I used the combo update, then booted into a cloned disk running 10.10.2. Copied the AppleGraphicsControl.kext from the updated boot drive and then edited the file within. Used KextBeast to install the modified kext back to the updated boot drive.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back