Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shiloh,

thank you for this awesome guide. I had start this build 2 years ago but never finished it due to other commitments. However, I finally got to it last week and the install worked perfectly and now have Sierra running lovely on the machine. The guide was so easy to follow.

I have question and I apologise if this is a bit of a newby question. Everything is working fine but I am not sure how I run software update... no idea in fact.

I am getting a notification that their is now an update available for Sierra and it ask me if I want to install now, tonight etc. I keep saying try tomorrow because I am afraid if I update I will break things.

So I was wondering, what would be the best way to update, keeping in mind I am not very experienced.

Any help you can offer would be brilliant and thanks again for the amazing guide. :)

@shilohh THANK YOU! from the bottom of my heart. i got my rig working because of this.

Hello Shilohh,
today I updated to 10.12.4 and everything went smoothly. With your AGDPfix 1.3, nvidia works perfectly and even the audio survived the update. Thank you so much once again!!!

Hi Shiloh,

thank you for this awesome guide. I had start this build 2 years ago but never finished it due to other commitments. However, I finally got to it last week and the install worked perfectly and now have Sierra running lovely on the machine. The guide was so easy to follow.

I have question and I apologise if this is a bit of a newby question. Everything is working fine but I am not sure how I run software update... no idea in fact.

I am getting a notification that their is now an update available for Sierra and it ask me if I want to install now, tonight etc. I keep saying try tomorrow because I am afraid if I update I will break things.

So I was wondering, what would be the best way to update, keeping in mind I am not very experienced.

Any help you can offer would be brilliant and thanks again for the amazing guide. :)
I like to run the combo updates downloaded from support.apple.com for incrementals. It's a good idea not to be the first one out of the gates with updates though. It's best to check the home page here to see if anyone has had any major issues with a update before doing it yourself. I keep automatic updates turned off for all my software including macOS because I hate unexpected changes. For major updates like 10.13 etc, definitely wait for others to map it out first (since your new).

Anybody has the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION with Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme processor and 2800 Mhz?

I am trying to build a STABLE machine, that is why I don't want to buy the X99 (as I heard there are sleep issues)

Has anybody recently build a X79 computer due to the fact that X99 motherboards are not natively supported?

The idea here is to build a nice machine instead of buying the MacPro.

I have a GTX 980 Ti and I now want to build my first water cooled computer and I would like 6-8 cores, overclocked.

I saw the Xeon CPUs can't be overclocked, so I think my best option is 4960X. I also saw the 4960X is compatible with DDR3 1866Mhz but the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION says it can take up to 2800 Mhz RAM

Thanks so much!

I like to run the combo updates downloaded from support.apple.com for incrementals. It's a good idea not to be the first one out of the gates with updates though. It's best to check the home page here to see if anyone has had any major issues with a update before doing it yourself. I keep automatic updates turned off for all my software including macOS because I hate unexpected changes. For major updates like 10.13 etc, definitely wait for others to map it out first (since your new).

Thanks so much for your reply and all the time you give to people on this thread. That is good advice about taking my time and letting others lead they way. Would it be ok if I asked one more question please and sorry if this is a dump question. How would I run the combo updates? What is the procedure you follow. Thanks again and sorry for the silly questions. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks so much for your reply and all the time you give to people on this thread. That is good advice about taking my time and letting others lead they way. Would it be ok if I asked one more question please and sorry if this is a dump question. How would I run the combo updates? What is the procedure you follow. Thanks again and sorry for the silly questions. Have a nice weekend.
Combo updates are a combination of all the changes in every update since the major release (10.10.0, 10.11.0, 10.12.0 etc) and are a more complete way to update. They are usually not available for the first delta release (10.12.1). Delta updates can only run sequentially on the previous version (10.12.4 delta can only update from 10.12.3) and combo updates can update any version from the major release (10.12.4 combo can be used on any version from 10.12.0).

You'll need to go to support.apple.com and enter combo in the search box. Scroll down to see all the results. Click on the version you are looking for. Download the .dmg from the link on the page. Double click the dmg when the download finishes. Double click the installer .pkg when the dmg mounts and opens in the finder. Let the installer run and restart the computer and finish running again. When running updates, if the computer reboots and the update doesn't continue or finish (is still on the same macOS version like the update was never run), restart holding the control key or space bar to reach the clover GUI and look for a new boot drive option there with "install from" in the name. This is the bootable image that the installer created that contains all the install files. Select that option and the install will complete.

Hey Shilohh,

I deleted all SSDT's except SSDT-8.aml and that solved the problem with booting installation from USB. Thank you!

I've finished installing the Mac OS, booted into it, continued with tutorial - copied ACPI, kexts, themes folders and edited the config file for UUID, ethernet, serial number and other changes there. When I saved the config file I got a message "config.plist is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage", but saved it anyway.

After the first restart I got a black screen... so I used "nv_disable=1" to boot in and troubleshoot, and that booted me into system. However my mouse and keyboard are dead, they aren't even lit.

They worked just fine after the installation was done and I booted into Mac OS, but after the first restart they don't respond. So I'm kinda stuck.

Do you have any advice or article on helping out for this problem?

Hey Shilohh,

I deleted all SSDT's except SSDT-8.aml and that solved the problem with booting installation from USB. Thank you!

I've finished installing the Mac OS, booted into it, continued with tutorial - copied ACPI, kexts, themes folders and edited the config file for UUID, ethernet, serial number and other changes there. When I saved the config file I got a message "config.plist is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage", but saved it anyway.

After the first restart I got a black screen... so I used "nv_disable=1" to boot in and troubleshoot, and that booted me into system. However my mouse and keyboard are dead, they aren't even lit.

They worked just fine after the installation was done and I booted into Mac OS, but after the first restart they don't respond. So I'm kinda stuck.

Do you have any advice or article on helping out for this problem?
you have the " Rampage IV Gene" board right? Which files are you trying to use? The ones for the R4E or R4BE?

Hey Shilohh,

Yep, my motheboard is "Rampage IV Gene". I used the files for R4BE.

Should I use files for R4E instead?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back