Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Shilohh,

Followed your guide and it worked just fine for me all the way up to El Capitan. Recently reinstalled for Sierra and the installation worked fine for the most part.The only thing is that the network won't work, I'm connected and all however when I try to load a webpage Safari just stop at about 1/4 the way when loading and that's it, nothing happens. I'm unable to log into iCloud services or anything internet based. Any advice?
Have you tried power cycling your router?

So, an update:
I decided to revert to Yosemite for now. It's disappointing but when previously working HDA.kext patching in Sierra suddenly started to fail during startup I felt I had to draw the line.

I did "backport" several of your changes into my Yosemite install though Shilohh, among other things I changed to the MacPro6,1 system definition.
I also replaced the old DSDT and replaced it with:
SSDT-0 (with your various fixes and tricks)
SSDT-1 (Nvidia Drivers gave me a ~10% performance boost over Sierra with Apple drivers, no AGDPfix needed to load)
SSDT-4 (for a KT4004 4-port USB 3 card)
Plus a generated SSDT-9 for power management. (included a replacement of the X79X86.kexts in S/L/E)
Not sure, maybe I can use the SSDT-8 USB-fixes on Yosemite too? I haven't tried it yet.

I gained a more compatible system definition, I threw out GenericUSBXHCI (finally) and thereby future-proofed the install some more.

All in all maybe one step back and two steps forward. :)

A few things remain; like testing a migration of the custom kexts installed in S/L/E to the EFI-partion, but I am concerned as to what the cause for the audio issues are since my current install used your old HDA-patching method which was based on PikerAlphas-variant, not Toledas (I might misremember that). Perhaps it's more reliable?

My fear is that the audio issues will return if I start moving the kexts around and/or change patching method.

Oh well, that's in the future.
Thanks for the awesome guide and Happy New Year. :)
I still run Yosemite on my main R4BE machine. I built up my old R4E/3930K hardware with a bunch of stuff I got on 2016 black friday sales. I use it for a HTPC (connected to a video projector) and plex media server, and also now for keeping this guide current. So I installed 10.12 on it. I tested the machine for a few days before updating the guide with new files. It hasn't seen much use but I haven't experienced any issues with audio on it. I will say that the clover audio patch method is NOT update proof and that you may need to run toleda's script after updates. I'm also pretty sure that his script modifies the OEM AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E and if it does, it's no better than the old method of overwriting the OEM kext with a fully patched kext. Toleda is a genius I don't know what all he has going on with his new method, but if the OEM kext is modified in any way to make audio work, then it will break the kext signing and I don't see why it's better to patch the OEM kext and use another one in the EFI partition.

I haven't been familiar with multibeast's bootloader options since back when they were using Chameleon/Chimera for their bootloader. I migrated to clover long before multibeast did and I wrote the original version of this guide for use with the Clover installer instead of multibeast for that reason. Multibeast is a wonderful all in one tool but I prefer a modular approach. I feel like it helps people better understand all the steps necessary for running OS X on this hardware.

Look in your boot drive's EFI partition, in the CLOVER/acpi/patched folder. You should only have "SSDT-0,1,5,6,8,9". if you have any SSDTs from anywhere else, it/they will directly conflict with the ones from this guide. So if you have "SSDT-SB-I7 (i think it was the SSDT from multibeast)", DELETE it. Also, make sure you are using the current files from my last update and delete DSDT.aml if it is in that folder too.

Thank you for your reply, i"ve deleted the "SSDT-SB-I7" (this was the kext from multibeast) and turned off/on my computer, but i"m still getting low values from the "geekbench 4". Please help.

Thank you for your reply, i"ve deleted the "SSDT-SB-I7" (this was the kext from multibeast) and turned off/on my computer, but i"m still getting low values from the "geekbench 4". Please help.
Do you have a record of you're install settings from multibeast? Also, what version was it?

FYI, Sandy Bridge-E is not Sandy Bridge. They are very different.

Are you Over Clocking your CPU? Are you using the 32bit (free) or 64bit (paid) version of geek bench?

Do you have a record of you're install settings from multibeast? Also, what version was it?

FYI, Sandy Bridge-E is not Sandy Bridge. They are very different.

Are you Over Clocking your CPU? Are you using the 32bit (free) or 64bit (paid) version of geek bench?

Yes, i do have them. I have used MultiBeast version 8.2.3(1) and enabled the "Customize>SSDT Options>Sandy Bridge Core i7" Option (such a shame). I"m using the Geekbench version 4.0.3 (and i cant switch between 64/32bit mods). I"m not overclocking my CPU (do you suggest, that geekbench score of 3331/13666 is normal for my CPU ?).

Yes, i do have them. I have used MultiBeast version 8.2.3(1) and enabled the "Customize>SSDT Options>Sandy Bridge Core i7" Option (such a shame). I"m using the Geekbench version 4.0.3 (and i cant switch between 64/32bit mods). I"m not overclocking my CPU (do you suggest, that geekbench score of 3331/13666 is normal for my CPU ?).
I assume that you have a Asus Rampage IV motherboard and a 3930k or 4930k cpu (your profile lists skylake hardware). If so, you may want to start from scratch using this guide. I don't really have the time to research what you've done with multibeast. I assume that the option you described created a SSDT for cpu power management and possibly modifies the clover config. My files already contain a ssdt for the cpu but that won't help if your motherboard and cpu differ from the ones that this guide supports.

32bit geek bench scores are lower than 64bit geek bench scores so I wouldn't use a 32bit score to measure your performance against my scores. Also, I'm over clocked. If I remember correctly, I think my stock speed 32bit score was somewhere around 16k (multicore) but I'm not sure.

Thanks Shilohh for the response! I updated the profile but I'm on the Rampage IV Black edition. My card is
TP-Link AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter (Archer T8E)

I assume that you have a Asus Rampage IV motherboard and a 3930k or 4930k cpu (your profile lists skylake hardware). If so, you may want to start from scratch using this guide. I don't really have the time to research what you've done with multibeast. I assume that the option you described created a SSDT for cpu power management and possibly modifies the clover config. My files already contain a ssdt for the cpu but that won't help if your motherboard and cpu differ from the ones that this guide supports.

32bit geek bench scores are lower than 64bit geek bench scores so I wouldn't use a 32bit score to measure your performance against my scores. Also, I'm over clocked. If I remember correctly, I think my stock speed 32bit score was somewhere around 16k (multicore) but I'm not sure.

My specs are:
I7 3930k at stock speed (not overclocked!) /Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Bios 4206)/8gb DDR3/GTX 960/Samsung 850 Pro/Clover+El Capitan 10.11.6/MacPro6,1 2013/Geekbench 4.0.3 64bit.

Thank you for your help, man. Without your manual (and all the config files and ssdt"s) i wont be even able to dream about such thing as hackintosh on my old PC.

I would appreciate, if anybody could write me a "normal" geekbench score for my config. (3930k not overclocked/Asus R4E/8gb DDR3).

Thanks Shilohh for the response! I updated the profile but I'm on the Rampage IV Black edition. My card is
TP-Link AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter (Archer T8E)
Is there a reason you want to use the TP-Link card instead of the built in AC WiFi?

For now, remove the TP-Link card. That should get you up and running.

My specs are:
I7 3930k at stock speed (not overclocked!) /Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Bios 4206)/8gb DDR3/GTX 960/Samsung 850 Pro/Clover+El Capitan 10.11.6/MacPro6,1 2013/Geekbench 4.0.3 64bit.

Thank you for your help, man. Without your manual (and all the config files and ssdt"s) i wont be even able to dream about such thing as hackintosh on my old PC.

I would appreciate, if anybody could write me a "normal" geekbench score for my config. (3930k not overclocked/Asus R4E/8gb DDR3).
I would guess that maybe your turbo isn't working. Can you run RunAppleIntelInfo.app (from my files for this guide) and post the results (Run the app, go to a couple different pages on the internet that you haven't visited and run Geekbench to stress the CPU to different levels, then click the OK button)?

These are from my R4E/3930K system @ stock speed:

64bit
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.00.55 AM.png

32bit
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.07.25 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back