Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't express how much appreciation I have for this killer guide. Everything went well without a hitch. Thank you shilohh for taking the time to keep this thread up-to-date. It just blows my mind just how good this old hardware is almost 5 years later.[/SIZE]

Are you using the webdrivers or the Apple-supplied ones?

I am sorry to say that I have no experience with DAZ Studio or CUDA for that matter.

This ****** might give some ideas of what to test if you want to verify GPU acceleration:
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4h137e/test_for_graphics_acceleration_in_el_capitan/

No idea on DSDT vs. SSDT.

Thanks. I checked everything according to that link. Chess works fine. Transparency works fine. In DVD/Help all feature are supported. So AFAIK Acceleration is working fine. I also ran Cinebench, Heaven and LuxMark:

Cinebench-1.jpg

Unigine-Heaven.jpg
LuxMark.jpg

I know putting in a second GPU will increase my scores, but as is there doesn't seem to be a reason to me that this problem is happening. It must be something wrong with DAZ and Sierra 10.12.2

*** Update: I found out that the issue I am having is definitely with DAZ itself. I downloaded and tested their new Beta and it fixes several bugs with Sierra 10.12.2

Last edited:
I can't express how much appreciation I have for this killer guide. Everything went well without a hitch. Thank you shilohh for taking the time to keep this thread up-to-date. It just blows my mind just how good this old hardware is almost 5 years later.[/SIZE]

Yes! Without Shilohh and everyone here I would never have been able to setup my first Hackintosh. So thankful for everyone's help!

From what I can see, that card will not work with a motherboard with the X79 chipset. That card (as well as the II variant) have very specific compatibility lists.

I know that the R4E has 4 x PCIe slots. Do you know if it is possible to setup more than 2 GPUs? Specifically I am thinking about trying to put in an AMD R9 280x as primary card for dual monitors because it seems FCPx likes AMD more. Then I was thinking about putting two GTX 760s in as well to get added boost for my other apps that like Nvidia. Is it even possible to mix and match GPUs? And to have 3?

Last edited:
Hey Shilohh,

Followed your guide and it worked just fine for me all the way up to El Capitan. Recently reinstalled for Sierra and the installation worked fine for the most part.The only thing is that the network won't work, I'm connected and all however when I try to load a webpage Safari just stop at about 1/4 the way when loading and that's it, nothing happens. I'm unable to log into iCloud services or anything internet based. Any advice?

So after several days of testing my new setup, I have noticed some weird ticks. The first is an issue where the system becomes unresponsive after screensaver or sleep. It seems to take a few moments for the mouse to come back to life. The second issue is that sometimes my email seems to lock the system up and make things unresponsive. Similar to the sleep issue where the mouse doesn't work and then everything catches up. Like a lag where if I had right clicked a few times or tried moving a window around nothing would happen. Then you would see that window move around super fast and several popups from my right clicking, etc. Like all of the actions I took would catch up. Sorry if I didn't explain that very well.

Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this? Anything to check in console or log files? Could this be a memory issue? This has actually happened on both of my SSDs (cloned full bootable backup).

Thanks.

Is it even possible to mix and match GPUs? And to have 3?
Maybe you will have more luck asking this specific question in the Graphics forum. :/

So after several days of testing my new setup, I have noticed some weird ticks. The first is an issue where the system becomes unresponsive after screensaver or sleep. It seems to take a few moments for the mouse to come back to life. The second issue is that sometimes my email seems to lock the system up and make things unresponsive. Similar to the sleep issue where the mouse doesn't work and then everything catches up. Like a lag where if I had right clicked a few times or tried moving a window around nothing would happen. Then you would see that window move around super fast and several popups from my right clicking, etc. Like all of the actions I took would catch up. Sorry if I didn't explain that very well.

Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this? Anything to check in console or log files? Could this be a memory issue? This has actually happened on both of my SSDs (cloned full bootable backup).

Thanks.
I'd say that anything in the log from the approximate time when these hick-ups occur would be potentially interesting. I guess memory can cause all sorts of issues but my experience is that memory issues typically result in crashes in the end.

I will be making a new attempt to install Sierra soon since I have a few leads on possible causes for the issues I experienced. If I have similar freezes I'll be sure to post about them here.

So I installed a second GTX 760 and added SSDT-4. It does show up in System Settings and also in my 3D app. However, it doesn't show up in About This Mac. Not sure if it would've shown the increase MB size or what not.

Uningine Heaven had pretty much zero change in benchmark. Cinebench had only a marginal increase. LuxMark had double the score.

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back