Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

This worked for me also; and I'm back at 4Ghz. Yipee! Thanks for the link PhantomHelix

10-12-1_geekbench.png

Hey guys. So I am trying to update my system to El Capitan from Yosemite. I have made a full backup using CCC and have tested that it is bootable and working.

I was reading the new updated info and wanted to double check something here:

2) Delete fakeSMC.kext, and any other kexts that were installed to /System/Library/Extensions in your previous install (I think I color coded all of them from the 10.9/10.10 guides). Make sure there are no kexts on the desktop and run "KextCache.app" to rebuild caches.

I came across a few Kexts in the folder (aside from fakeSMC) that were color coded (green and pink)

-AppleIntelE1000e
-CalDigitFastIO
-CalDigitUSBxHCI
-X79MacPro61SpeedStep

*** Update: So I deleted all of these and ran KextCache. It required a Restart and my system wouldn't get past the Apple Logo. The progress bar got about half way (after an unusually long time) and just froze.

Can someone let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sys Specs:
10.10.5, Core i7-3970X, GTX760 4Gb, R4E (no wi-fi installed)

Last edited:
Not sure if this thread is very active anymore. But I have now tried to do a clean install since upgrading from Yosemite was getting me no where. I followed all the steps to a "T" in creating Clover USB Bootloader. Boot off USB and after 15 mins, the system brings up an Apple Logo with a progress bar that is already 3/4 filled. The system just sits there. I waited a full 30 mins and the progress bar never moved. It never brings me to the El Cap installer splash screen. I even tried to reformat the SSD through my working Yosemite and tried again.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops.

I thought verbose was already set in the boot options...

IMG_2150.jpg

I tried to get pics of the last thing loaded, which I believe has to do with Nvidia...

IMG_2154.jpg

But the final screen is where it gets stuck and there isn't any real info on this...

IMG_2155.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pics.

NOTE: If you are installing 10.9 Mavericks or 10.10 Yosemite, navigate to: EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and delete SSDT-8.aml.

NOTE 2: SSDT-9.aml is for the 4930K only!
If you have a 3930K, use the SSDT-9.aml from AsusX79Files/Post Install/3930K. If you have any other CPU, you will need to delete /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-9.aml and make your own CPU SSDT-9. See step 3 of my SpeedStep guide.

So after reviewing everything again... this is the only part that sticks out at me that could be an issue. Since I have a 3970x I deleted the original SSDT-9 and created my own using the method described. (ssdtPRGen.sh)

I am wondering if this is the issue. It seems like most people are running R4BE instead of RIVE with the 4930K instead of 3970X.

Have you tried some of my steps from here: #2508 ?

You should be able to safely skip step 4.

Hi MK500,

Those steps look similar to the original ones, but I am not doing upgrade to Sierra. This was meant to be clean install or upgrade to El Cap. I have tried both ways a this point. Clone my Yosemite and do Upgrade of El Cap (no good) and this last attempt of doing clean install from scratch.

Two things I am thinking about trying:

1. Re-create USB installer with the included SSDT-9 (instead of the one I created using ssdtPRGen.sh)
2. Try doing clean install of Sierra using USB installer.

shilohh:

I'm getting a problem whenever I try to shutdown/restart (I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6. I also had this issue before on Yosemite) . The system just hangs. It will close all applications, the menu bar will disappear. However the dock remains, and it seems to be stuck in that position.

The only way I can get it to shutdown is through a terminal command. (When the system hangs when trying to shutdown normally, finder stops responding. The only way to open an application is from the dock or with spotlight).

I attached the console log. The shutdown is initiated at 6:04pm.

Attachments

• Shutdown Fail.log.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back