Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have the same hardware as you, did you get speed step to work? Also, what Bios version are you using and are you overclocking?

Many thanks in advance!
Miro

BIOS version 4901, yes my system is overclocked to 4.8ghz/1.495v which is very stable in Windows 10, but i have not gotten macOS to accept the overclock, in fact i was JUST trying the method in this thread

( https://rossfisher.me/2016/01/how-t...s-x-or-how-my-hackintosh-runs-a-2500k-4-8ghz/ )

but all versions of Clover Configurator are crashing when loading my config.plist on all my systems including my legit mini and i am not sure how to manually do what CC does in that step, i also still have my system as Mac Pro 6,1 so I am not sure if that is also stopping it from working, Im not sure i understand how to change that either specifically in relation to this system without breaking everything from shilohh's Guide

Nor have I figured out yet how to get both my Graphics cards installed and be able to boot my system, one boots just fine but both gives me a kernel panic

I did all the steps to activate USB3 as well, and while they do appear to work, they seem to be only running at USB2 speed, even the USB3.1 Asus pcie add-in card that came with my new Rampage V Extreme on my new windows system works in this one but again at USB2 speeds, I have also noticed that since i tried activating USB3 both my Logitech wireless mice (performance MX and G602 Gaming) stutter significantly, its not impossible to use them but it is violently annoying

So I do apologize but it seems I won't be of any help to you, I am a Newb for sure lol

Last edited:
if you are still having the gpu issues try this driver its the K5000 mac driver

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107807/en-us

that is the driver i am using

I think it has something to do with the MSI lightning 780's in general other than GPU itself these cards are built drastically differently than other 780's, from what ive researched 780's should be UEFI capable cards? but these are not so i can't turn CSM off

I see a possibility this guide could use a resfresh, there are parts that seem outdated, especially concerning macOS Sierra and the latest clover versions and new methods concerning boot args for graphics cards, and guides that say to use Clover Configurator don't help as the config file that shilohh provides crashes the last 3 released versions of CC because it is looking for a default Clover installation generated plist format, also the Over Clocking ability in Sierra on a fresh non updated install seems to be broken, at least for me it is, again some tools like RunAICPUPMI do not work for me, it kicks out "The command exited with a non-zero status." and using the provided 3930k SSDT and config file alone do not activate it, i tried shilohh's speedstep guide but i ran into problems along the way as mentioned

EDIT:
Well for the heck of it i built an install using OS X 10.11.6 and i did EVERYTHING from scratch, and what do you know i can boot with both graphics cards in, i copied the EFI folder from the 10.11.6 SSD and replaced the one on the 10.12 disk and booted Sierra with both as well, i have no idea what made the difference, if it is correct in the system profiler the card BIOS's do not match, anyone know if they can be updated from windows?

2nd EDIT
Well I updated the Graphics cards BIOS with the Hybrid one that enables UEFI, the cards are slightly different as as the BIOS number is the same however the flashing utility for one of the cards has a lower version number and the newer utility one can not be used on the other card without possibly bricking the card.

I was then able to boot Sierra with both cards active without or without CSM, however when CSM is disabled Audio simply will not come through the HDMI even though the macOS audio options are there, simply booting with CSM enabled gives me my audio back

I am soooo Close to having the perfect Hackintosh for me, Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this along the way and to those who specifically lent help to me

Last edited:
I was able to get speed step working and now i have a 4.7ghz Hack!!!!!

With Sierra the only two things I needed was to create my own CPU SSDT (set at 5000mhz) and i used the 10.12 clover kext patches from this thread
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ge-e-ivy-bridge-e-power-management-1012-beta/

I did not realize that shilohh had already included the rest that was necessary for it to work so i tried following his speed step guide but when i installed the X79X86PlatformPlugin.kext i got a Kernel Panic and didn't realize why, but when booting from my other macOS install to remove the changes i made i simply deleted that kext and left the clover patches and low and behold it started working!!

21,514 in geekbench 4, 1174 in cinebench

47 with a 1.4 vcore in BIOS

idle temp of the cpu is average of 40c and under full load during and h265 video encode was 70c with my water cooler, i may back things down a bit to save my CPU but it works! it finally works!!

EDIT
The Ghz seem to be very jumpy even when the machine is idle, i remember seeing something about this but i have read so many post in so many threads I can't seem to locate it even with search, is that normal behavior?
is that why my temps are still pretty high?

Last edited:
Hi Shilohh,

Trying to dial in my speedstepping on my x79-up4 with a 4930k on Sierra. Seems like everything else is working quite nicely, except speedstepping. Am I understanding correctly that if I take your SSDT-9 file that is for the 4930k? And I see you've overclocked higher than I wanted to but it sounded like, in your speedstepping guide, that it will not clock higher than what is set in the bios. Is that correct? I'm a total noob to the SSDT file. I've been ok with all of my builds only having a few steps, I forget the kexts that even forced that, but it appears that not an option any more in Sierra?

EDIT: I did put your SDST-9 in my patched folder, not sure if this is what caused what I'm seeing or not, but what I'm seeing now is beautiful speedstepping about 20 seconds after boot that lasts about 20 seconds, and then pins the top frequency. Thoughts? It's like something else is loading that should be after.

Thanks for all your work.

Last edited:
image.jpeg I'm trying to up date my desktop to Sierra and getting stuck at an evoreboot kp. I have the original MK500s build
3930k cpu
6970 amd graphic card
R4E mother board
The main reason I'm updating from Mavericks is that I have Nvida 1070 sitting on the floor next to my desktop.

Last edited:
Hi Shilohh,

Trying to dial in my speedstepping on my x79-up4 with a 4930k on Sierra. Seems like everything else is working quite nicely, except speedstepping. Am I understanding correctly that if I take your SSDT-9 file that is for the 4930k? And I see you've overclocked higher than I wanted to but it sounded like, in your speedstepping guide, that it will not clock higher than what is set in the bios. Is that correct? I'm a total noob to the SSDT file. I've been ok with all of my builds only having a few steps, I forget the kexts that even forced that, but it appears that not an option any more in Sierra?

EDIT: I did put your SDST-9 in my patched folder, not sure if this is what caused what I'm seeing or not, but what I'm seeing now is beautiful speedstepping about 20 seconds after boot that lasts about 20 seconds, and then pins the top frequency. Thoughts? It's like something else is loading that should be after.

Hi Shilohh,

Looks like I need to upgrade my system...again. With the new release of FCPX 10.3 I am being forced out of Yosemite if I want to use it - which I certainly do.

Do you know if I would be able to simply upgrade from the El Capitan Installer directly (downloaded from App store)? This is a Clover install but I don't think I have the latest. Currently my FaceTime and iMessage don't work and there is some issue with Keychain, but I have given up on trying to fix it at this point. Happy to just have my email, all my other apps, iTunes and the App store working at this point.

Thanks.

Hi Shilohh,

this is what my 3930k does, only apps open are firefox, power gadget and screen flow

click for animation

His SSDT-9 was pulled from a different motherboard than yours though, i have the exact same MB as his and i didn't get mine working at all untill i generated my own SSDT

ScreenFlow.gif

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I was getting a little annoyed at apps that refused to update since I was still running 10.11.1. So I decided to just backup my boot drive with a disk duplicator, and then try to upgrade right to 10.12.1. I figured worst case scenario I could just go back to my old build.

It went pretty well so far. What I did:

1) Before upgrading I installed the newest Clover using the installer from GitHub, and then rebooted to make sure it worked.
2) I mounted the EFI partition using "Mount Any EFI" app and copied all the kexts from /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 (AppleIntelE1000e.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and realtekALC.kext).
3) I downloaded Sierra from the App Store and ran the upgrade. The disk spun for quite some time before I got to the Clover boot again.
4) I removed the hard drive and connected it to my MacBook via a USB dock. I removed NVMeGeneric.kext from /S/L/E because it causes kernel panics on Sierra. I deleted /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel Then I re-installed the drive and booted my hack.
5) At the Clover screen I selected my boot drive and hit space. I checked verbose. I checked the box equivalent to nv_disable=1 and then selected option to boot up.
6) Once booted up in low resolution, I ran shilohh's trusty AGDPfix and rebooted.

Now I am running my dual displays at full resolution in Sierra! Next I need to fix my audio and SpeedStep. I'll try the audio script from shilohh's guide, and then I have to remember how to get the very basic SpeedStep I use running (I'm basically running 4.0Ghz without much stepping). At the moment I seem to be locked at x35 and 3.17Ghz on all cores. Then finally I should probably find a new NVMeGeneric.kext to that I can get my Samsung NVMe working again (I use it as a cache for apps and any time I need an uber fast disk). My boot drive is just a WD hard drive these days.

Anyway; thought I would stop by and say hello :)

Getting audio working by following shilohh's instructions was a breeze:

Code:
./audio_cloverALC-120.sh 

Agreement
The audio_cloverALC script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
the patch, any or all of the files or the resulting patched AppleHDA.kext
for any reason without permission. The audio_cloverALC script is
provided as is and without any kind of warranty.

File: audio_cloverALC-120.command_v1.0d
Release Mode
Password:
EFI partition is mounted
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

OK to patch
Confirm Realtek ALC898 (y/n): y
Clover Audio ID Injection (y/n): n

Download ALC898 files ...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 24769  100 24769    0     0  62344      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 62547
Edit config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject/1
Edit config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES
Download kext patches
100  1418  100  1418    0     0   4370      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  4363
Download config kext and install ...
100  3665  100  3665    0     0  11625      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 11634
Install /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/realtekALC.kext
Install System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/ALC898 zml files
Fix permissions ...
Kernel cache...
rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
VerticalMouseDriver.signed.kext does not appear in strict exception list for architecture: x86_64
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67049 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA17 for kext VerticalMouseDriver.signed.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext
VerticalMouseDriver.signed.kext does not appear in strict exception list for architecture: x86_64
KernelCache ID: F9C896A21819B1D5F97783C8AB7502DC
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>
kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot

Install finished, restart required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back