Contribute
Register

i7 4790k running 90-100ºC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A high quality air or liquid cooler is essential for an overclocked Core I5 or I7 cpu.
Stock Intel is not made for that at all. Not sure why Intel even includes one with
the K series cpus. They could just knock 10 dollars off the price so that buyers
could invest it in an overclocking capable cooler. :think: That Hyper 212 is a really
good value at 30 USD. Would be even better for 10 dollars less.

Also, using the latest version of Prime95 is NOT advised. It causes it to heat more than usual. There's older versions to be found on the web that will NOT cause such a high spike in CPU temp's, although the load still remains at 100%. Very odd issue but very well documented if you search the web for it.

Is anyone else getting temps around 90-100ºC? Whenever I use handbrake to convert video I always get high temps.
Usually
core 1:100ºC
core 2:96ºC
core 3:94ºC
core 4:89ºC
heatsink:91ºC

and it holds there (give or take 1ºC) until it's done. I put new thermal compound down but it just keep all the other cores from hitting 100ºC which is what would happen before.

I haven't overclocked or changed the stock settings, and use stock fan but from everything I am reading, the temps kind of concern me. Maybe HWmonitor temps are off? The temps go from high 30s to over 90 in less than 30 sec.

Any direction/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

My very first Hackintosh build was 4 years ago and I ran into a very similar issue. Turns out I used too much thermal compound and I had a crappy cooler unit that made matters worse. The CPU was constantly 40C running and 85C under load. So, I took off the thermal compound and and cooler and went with a Noctua CPU heat sink. What I got instead was a running temperature of 25C and under load 61C max with an over clock!

Last edited:
I have just built with a 4790k and I had exactly the same problem. The CPU Vcore voltage was way too high for an unknown reason. After I set it manually to 1.3v it all calmed down.

Yosemite
Multibeast 7.5

I also have the same CPU and I installed the stock cooler too. When I use some media converter tool which causes 100% CPU load, I get the same 90-100°C temperatures like you.
From the Amazon reviews I read, this seems to be normal with this CPU-cooler-combo.

I think you can't apply too much thermal compound since it already comes pre-applied and protected by a plastic shell. I pushed the cooler down and all four corners clicked, so a wrong installation is also not the reason.

My guess is that Intel just ships the wrong cooler for the job or already "pre-overclocks" their chips, since it already comes with a rather high base clock speed of 4 GHz.

I ordered an aftermarket AIO liquid cooler which should arrive soon and then I will see what temperatures I get.

I have just built with a 4790k and I had exactly the same problem. The CPU Vcore voltage was way too high for an unknown reason. After I set it manually to 1.3v it all calmed down.

What voltage did you have before? I didn't change mine and I have under 1.3V right now.

Last edited:
I also have the same CPU and I installed the stock cooler too. When I use some media converter tool which causes 100% CPU load, I get the same 90-100°C temperatures like you.
From the Amazon reviews I read, this seems to be normal with this CPU-cooler-combo.

I think you can't apply too much thermal compound since it already comes pre-applied and protected by a plastic shell. I pushed the cooler down and all four corners clicked, so a wrong installation is also not the reason.

My guess is that Intel just ships the wrong cooler for the job or already "pre-overclocks" their chips, since it already comes with a rather high base clock speed of 4 GHz.

I ordered an aftermarket AIO liquid cooler which should arrive soon and then I will see what temperatures I get.

What voltage did you have before? I didn't change mine and I have under 1.3V right now.

Yes, the stock cooler is no good for these chips. Maybe that's why they don't even bother supplying them with Skylake.

The Auto setting set my VCore to 1.5, which is nearly high enough to fry the chip. Having lived with my setup a few days I found that messing with the Base Clock is not really the way to go. It was not very stable.

Setting the VCore to about 1.35 and adjusting the turbo settings to 4.7 has yielded a very stable result.
Let me know how you go when you get your new cooler.

Let me know how you go when you get your new cooler.
So I just installed the AIO liquid cooler, I bought the "Liquid Freezer 120" from Arctic, and so far I am much happier than before. The noise is lower (even though it could be even lower for my taste) and the temperatures as well. After I booted the machine I had around 26°C and when I use prime95 (not the FTT test) to get the maximum TDP of the processor, the temps stayed around 70-71°C which is under the temperatures that Intel suggests (74°C). Do you think these temperatures are okay or should they be lower? The diagram on the box says that it archives 49.1°C on a Core i7-5930K which has a TDP of 140W which is much more than my 87W. Did I maybe apply the thermal compund wrong? :confused:

So I don't know if I have a lot of headroom to overclock really, but I will first see how stable these temperatures are in every-day tasks.

EDIT: I should probably note that I was only able to install one of the two fans, since I don't have enough space for both of them. I also installed it in pull orientation to suck in air from the inside. But since I have a case fan on the front and the graphics card is also not used in prime95 and the machine just booted, I don't really see a problem there.

UPDATE: Okay, I realized that I can rotate the CPU block 90° and fit the second fan as well. It was a very tight fit but it actually worked. I also decided to swap the airflow direction to intake and also reapplied the thermal paste. Idle temps after boot are around the same 26°C but now I have much nicer 57°C at 84W TDP. If I run the FTT test of prime95 the CPU somehow consumes 140W TDP which results in around 81°C which I stopped after a few seconds.

So I just installed the AIO liquid cooler, I bought the "Liquid Freezer 120" from Arctic, and so far I am much happier than before. The noise is lower (even though it could be even lower for my taste) and the temperatures as well. After I booted the machine I had around 26°C and when I use prime95 (not the FTT test) to get the maximum TDP of the processor, the temps stayed around 70-71°C which is under the temperatures that Intel suggests (74°C). Do you think these temperatures are okay or should they be lower? The diagram on the box says that it archives 49.1°C on a Core i7-5930K which has a TDP of 140W which is much more than my 87W. Did I maybe apply the thermal compund wrong? :confused:

So I don't know if I have a lot of headroom to overclock really, but I will first see how stable these temperatures are in every-day tasks.

EDIT: I should probably note that I was only able to install one of the two fans, since I don't have enough space for both of them. I also installed it in pull orientation to suck in air from the inside. But since I have a case fan on the front and the graphics card is also not used in prime95 and the machine just booted, I don't really see a problem there.

Hi,

Congratulations! Those temps are just where they should be. Yes, you should have room to clock. Don't forget, Prime will suck every last drop out of the CPU. Myself, I test with the heaviest loading soft I use (Handbrake, video compression) for 30 mins or so. I just can't bring myself to thrash the CPU for no reason. TDP is right for that chip. Boy you bought into the deep end with the 5930k but it should clock like a charm ...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested

I just updated my previous post the same second you posted yours :D

Well the bottom line is, I managed to lower the temps further and also managed to fit the second fan.
Switched to intake instead of exhaust and put new thermal paste. Now I only reach 57°C :D

Blimey! You should be rubbing your hands together in anticipation

• :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back