Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I am looking to make my first hackintosh and have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks. I want to use the i7 4790k "Devil's Canyon" as my CPU, but I need help picking out a mobo.

Intel claims that the 4790k only works with mobos that have the Z97 chipset; however, I found this page after some searching which has a list of compatible Z87 mobos for the 4790:

http://thepcenthusiast.com/list-of-8-series-motherboards-compatible-with-intel-devils-canyon/

If you go the bottom where the updates are listed, it says that this list was copied from an official one that intel had made, but that since it has been posted, the list from intel was changed so that it only contained Z97 mobos, probably just to encourage people to get the Z97. Some of the mobo manufacturers have put out updates for the Z87's to allow them to function with the 4790k.

I would really like for my build to have the 4790k because it only costs $20 more than the 4770k with a 0.5 GHz increase in base clock speed, and it is simply too tempting to pass up on. I am considering the Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 (which is on that list).

So I know that the Z97 chipsets are currently not as easy to use for the hackintosh so that is why I am looking at a Z87 one. I was wondering if anyone has tried making a build with the 4790k and a Z87 mobo, and if so, if they could talk about it and share their experience.

If I do get the Z87, apparently I would need to download the update to allow for the 4790k myself. Would that be possible without a CPU? Or would I need to put a non 4790k CPU in to update it first, then remove that CPU and put in the 4790k?

Has anyone tried making a build with the 4790k and a Z97 mobo? If the Z87 route may prove to risky, I might end up going with the Z97 and just going through the extra work to get it fully functional.

Basically, if you've made a build with the 4790k, tell me about your experience installing Mavericks and getting everything working properly on it please. If someone has already experimented with this CPU, then there is no reason for me to go into this thing blind (and considering how much money I'm about to throw around, I want to know as much as I can before I start). Thanks.

If you'd do a forum search for 4790k, you have all your answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back