CPU
8700K @5GHz
Graphics
1080Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all,

I'm running an Intel 4770K @3.5GHz with Arctic Silver 5 and the stock cooler. Idle BIOS temps range from 55˚C to 60˚C.

I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes, and temperatures spiked up to 100˚C. I was concerned, so I shut down the system.

Are these temperatures normal? They seem high. I did just apply new thermal paste, and I've heard that it takes a while to heat up and seal.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have the same CPU and *had* the stock cooler on it. I was seeing 35[SUP]o[/SUP]c idle and 65[SUP]o[/SUP]c under normal load. I also ran Prime95 and saw it hit over 100[SUP]o[/SUP]c.

So, I decided to put a liquid cooler on it (no room for one of the larger air coolers). After installing a thermaltake performer (dual fan 120mm fan). I now see idle's of around 20[SUP]o[/SUP]c and it has never exceeded 65[SUP]o[/SUP]c (even running Prime95).

If you aren't planning to run prime95, and only use it for basic stuff, the stock cooler is probably fine. I wanted to run games and compiles and stuff, so I upgraded the cooler.

Don't particularly recommend the one I got. Two major flaws 1) the bottom bracket is plastic and the nuts for the screw downs destroy the recessed plastic that's supposed to hold them. This make them spin instead of tightening... 2) really noisy at anything over 1000 rpm (the min speed). On the plus side I got it for $30 brand new (@ Fry's on special a few weeks back).

My first choice would have been a corsair H90, but its a bit on the pricy side.

--Rob

Side note, I used both the latest version of the HW monitor that came with unibeast and the intel power gadget to measure the temps. The CPU is not using power management when you check in the bios, so the temps there are roughly normal load temps and not idle.

-- Rob

Have a look at the Noctua air coolers. They are pretty much the best you can get & not that pricey considering their performance.

I find people always gawk at the price of CPU coolers, but its an important part of the system, so don't skimp on it.

If you go for a dual fan setup you can run the fans slower = quieter running.

I have no fan (case and cpu) only a Nofan CR-95 installed with the i7 4770. Idle Temps are about 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back