Contribute
Register

i7-4770K and z87x-u5dh build freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings froghammer,

I must say, I have the very same motherboard, and I am experiencing the same problem, I managed to get it to work a full day, but just an hour before this post, it froze, and the only thing I can do is a hard reset. I don't know if it's the OS itself or some defect in the board. I have had this board since July, and I've experienced nothing but problems with it. The very first day I installed Win 8 on it(while waiting for OS X to be Haswell ready), I have experienced tons of BSODs. I do not understand what is the cause of the issue at all. Hopefully it's something from the BIOS or the OS that can be resolved, or I am going to RMA it.

froghammer,

I can tell you for sure it's not the brand of the RAM, sad to say because when I originally thought about doing my build, I thought about getting Corsair RAM, but instead I got 32GB of Ripjaws X Series, same ones you've exchanged your Corsair for. Since I've had my RAM, I have been experiencing the same freezes. I don't think it's the RAM but we all do have one thing in common, and that is the motherboard. So Corsair, G.SKILL, still freezes. :)

I was able to solve my problem by replacing the motherboard with an ASrock Extreme 4, I have had 3 weeks of uptime. I think there is a bad run of Gigabyte motherboards out there right now.

I have the same setup here what happens:
4 ram = unstable (bsods and freezes)
2 ram = perfectly fine (even with xmp profile)

still to test out:

4 ram with xmp profile, +.1v on memory voltage (going to 1.6v) and on SA (system agent voltage) up by 0.2v.
It's a major gigabyte bios bug related ro memory (it does not matter if the memory is on QVL list or not).

I Sugges everyone with z87-x-ud5h to fiddle around memory voltage and system with caution, you can end up burning something up..

So far so good with me now. I'm having the occasional lock up once every two or three weeks now. It may or may not be the same problem I was having before. Since they're so random I can't nail down the cause. But it isn't locking up every 5-10 minutes like it was for a while there with the Crucial ram.

I suspect it's the motherboard as well, but it's playing nice. For now. Hopefully for ever. :D

Hi guys,

I have been running into the same sort problems. My build is the following:
- Ga-z87x-ud3h
- i5 - 4570
- 16GB (4x4) Kingston KHX1600c9D3K2/8G (which is in the QVL list released by Gigabyte but not XMP compatible).
- GTX 670

(I had a z77x-ud5h board with a i5 3570 running a stable ML 10.8.5 system, but the board went dead out of nothing and I decided to simply upgrade my system to the current build and install Mavericks)

I have the IGPU disabled and removed the Audio Kext as suggested by adamsmasher.

After installing Mavericks the freezes started and for two straight days I tried every trick I could found on Hackintosh and Gigabyte (here and here) forums to solve my problem. The problem is clearly not related to the OSX build or drivers, it is a Gigabyte problem and we can only hope that their either release a proper Bios or that we find a magical combinations of settings that simply does not trigger the problem.

My last approach that is working so far (10h without a freeze) includes:
- Installing Bios F8k (beta) (here);
- Ram voltage at 1.65v;
- Ram clock at 1600mhz (strangely the OSX says the ram is running at 1333mhz, it might be related with the bios);
- ram timings at 9-9-9-24;
- BCKL at 100.1 MHZ;
- Disable UEFI in the BIOS;
- Sys Agent to auto

One thing is for sure, this combination of settings is rendering my setup more stable, but because I have applied the beta Bios and disable the UEFI before the last boot I am not sure which is the one doing the trick here.

anyway, bcs I intend build a computer for my girlfriend in the near future I decided to order 16GB (2x8) Dimms of Corsair ram.

cheers
mates

Just wanted to chip in and state that it's definitely not just an issue for those with all 4 DIMMs installed. I have 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance onboard and have had this issue since I finished the build earlier this week. Sometimes 3 hours uptime, sometimes 10 minutes.

I am dual-booting Win7-64 and OS X 10.9.1 (installed to separate SSD) and see the same behavior in both. I'm off to try the couple of the suggestions I've seen in this thread that I haven't already failed with. Agree that it looks very much like a Gigabyte problem.

Hi agentplaid,

that's bad news, these are the dimms I ordered (should arrive monday).
Through my research I became convinced that the problem was related with the 4xdimms ...
I don't know if you noticed but most of the stable builds using this board (in this forum) only have 2xdimms

Just wondering, did you try to boot with a single dimm?

Anyway, so far I (almost) reached the 48hours mark without a freeze, tonight before going to bed I will reboot the computer to test if it was or was not just lucky boot.

In any case, are you sure your problems are ram based? I have seen other people reporting problems with the HDDs (in particular if they had more than 1TB) connectors and the USB ports ...
Also it seems that Bioses F6 and F7 were really crappy and prone to odd behaviours, which lead many people to rollback to F5 (you can see a lot of people mentioning that in Gigabyte and Overclocking related forums)

Monday/Tuesday I will let you know about my new corsair ram dimms

@akma

Thanks for replying!

Here's why I think the problem isn't actually RAM. When I started the build, I popped the 2 8GB DIMMs into my older Hackintosh (P55A-UD3) and memtest'd them, they came up clean. Now, about a week later, I just re-tested them and errors galore. So they're headed for RMA-ville. I then plugged the older memory back into the older Hack and memtest'd them, Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3 DIMMs and they came up clean. Put the 4 x 4GB DIMMs into the new Hack, run memtest, all clean. Boot to Win7, run a few things and after about 20 minutes the system freezes just like before. Boot to OS X, running BOINC tasks for about 40 minutes and the system freezes.

I also have 4 x 2GB G.skill which memtest clean and give the same freezes in OS X, with either 2 or 4 DIMMs in place.

So this is happening to me with both 2 and 4 DIMMs, where the Corsair 4 x 4GB DIMMs are as clean as I can verify and have been in a system that's been rock solid stable for more than 2 years, so I'm pretty confident in that set.

I haven't tried with a single DIMM yet but I'm not confident that it'll make a difference. Still, easy enough to give it a shot.

First I'm going to roll back my BIOS and see what happens - I'm on F7 and I'll revert to F5. Will advise.

UPDATE:

F5 BIOS doesn't help. Neither does single DIMM. I'm thinking this mobo might itself be RMA-bound. This well and truly sucks - I have been very happy with the P55A-UD3 in my first Hack, but Gigabyte isn't doing itself any favors here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back