Contribute
Register

i7-4770K and z87x-u5dh build freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz CL10 1,65v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231590

Had to buy these because I'm using a Noctua nh-d14 and the RAM stick in slot4 needs to have its heatsink removed. I believe the TridentXs are the only G.SKill sticks that you can take the heatsink off of.

For two days I had the sticks in slots 1, 2 and 3 and no freezups. This morning I swapped them and now they're in slots 1, 3 and 4. I also swapped the stick that I wasn't using. Let's see where this gets me. If I have no problems then it means that there's nothing wrong with my hardware and this is really and surprisingly a problem of having all RAM in, rather than having a faulty slot or stick.

Hey, so yesterday I got fed up and returned the Corsair RAM and bought some GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866. Same as before- 32GB.

Well, the computer has been up for 24 hours with no freezing. Does this make any sense? No. Do I care? No. :D I'm going to try to leave the computer on until the end of the week and see if I still have an issue.

Alright- the computer has been up for 55 hours now. I think the RAM was the problem.

WHEW.

I'm reading in the official gigabyte forums many posts of people having problems with new GA motherboards when using all 4 ram slots. It looks like this is a widespread problem.

Basically, 4 ram sticks = unstable.

I ran across that as well. At this point I'm just glad to have found a magical combination of board and ram that works with all four.

Another odd behavior I have noticed, my machine will not boot with XMP enabled, even though my RAM is XMP ready, the BIOS/UEFI reports "Boot Failure".
The good news is I have almost 4 days of uptime!

Hey guys,

Thought I would just drop in (and maybe confirm your problems?)
I'm using the same mobo + cpu as you guys (Z87 UD5H + i7 4770k) but I'm only using two sticks of ram, 16GB.

So far I haven't had any problems what-so ever, I'm using Corsair Vengeance.

It may not be much help but I know that I'm always keen to see how other people with similar hardware are doing, so it may be useful to you. One thing I wanted to ask you guys, were you able to get the Ethernet working?

My Ethernet works fine with no changes in the bios and just the hnak intel setting in multibeast. Haven't checked both of the spots, but I know the top one on the mobo works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back