i7-4770K and z87x-u5dh build freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a similar problem

10.8.5 (same issue with 10.8.4)
GA-Z77-DS3H
i7 3770 using integrated video
RipjawsX 8G (2x4G, 1.5v)

I have replaced the Power supply, hard drive, CPU, Motherboard, and tried running of half the RAM.

Everything is running perfect, then it freezes, nothing in the logs, sometimes it will run for a day, sometimes an hour. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

I took one of the RAM sticks out. Haven't had a freeze in 2 days. Would a defective ram slot/channel show up in memtest86? Because I did an overnight pass of memtest with all 32Gb mounted, and it passed perfectly even though ML would freeze every 3 to 5 hours randomly.

Try that, take one ram stick out. Maybe this is a problem of having all ram slots populated.

Flexmanta, you may be right. I've been doing a ton of searching and reading, trying to find even a crumb of knowledge to fix this issue and have run across other Gigabyte boards having problems with all four slots being filled. And, like us, they're testing the ram and it's running fine otherwise.

Another thing I found, which seemed to be freezing the z77x motherboard (both Hackintosh AND Windows systems...) is the base clock value. Looks like people are changing that from Auto or whatever the stock setting is to 100.1 manually.

I did that last night and so far my computer has stayed on up to this point. I'm just going to leave the computer on for as long as possible to see if the base clock adjustment is actually working or I'm only in the middle of a lucky boot where I'm not having a freeze, because that's happened before.

I'll keep this thread updated, for sure.

Cool but are all your ram sticks in at the moment? My BCLK is currently set to auto and I'm using only 3 out of 4 sticks. I'll let you know how this goes. Still haven't had a problem today. After I finish what I'm doing now, I'll set the clock to manual 100 and use all my ram to test that.

Yeah, all of the sticks are currently in. I really believe there isn't anything wrong with them. They've been through over 13 hours of Memtest at this point with no errors.

Annnnnnnnd it just froze again. This is what is so annoying about this problem- there's no rhyme or reason to it!

Argh.

Take one stick out...

It's sad, but it's working for me. 2 days no problems and the computer has been on for >48 hours rendering and stuff... It's sad cause I paid for 32Gb of sweet RAM, and I can only use 24Gb.

Well, I decided to exchange the Corsair ram for some GSkill RipjawsX. So far (8 hours), so good but we'll see how long I can keep the computer on before I declare success. At least four straight days is my goal. Taking a stick out will be the next step if it freezes again.

I hear you though- not getting 32Gb in there is kind of a sin. But hey, it's not all THAT bad. I can remember when I paid as much for 256MB of ram for what I just paid for 32GB. My iPhone is probably more powerful than that computer. Haha.

Out of curiosity, what brand and model of RAM are you using?

I disabled EIST in the bios, and I am at 24 hours of uptime, we will see...

Great stuff, rcollins. I think I remember seeing that as something to try for this issue. Didn't work for whatever flavour of freezing I have though. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back