Graphics
Gtx 580
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I have my third hackintosh build, first one was a SB celeron which hit around 4500, my i5 2500k system hits about 8500 but my i7 only hits 5000
( geekbench 32 bit )

I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I have the system OC'd to its steady 4.8ghz ( watercooled ) and I have installed the i7 regular and i7 overclock SSDT ( do i need both? )

I ran the system the other day, and I was hitting 12000 which sounds about right, but Can't seem to hit that again.

Full specs
Gigabyte z77x-udh5 ( as per reccomended builds dec. 2012 )
i7 2600k ( water cooled )
8gigs ram 1600mhz
Evga GTX 580 ( water cooled )

any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

I'm thinking its a bios setting, but not sure exactly what?

I just dropped the i7 back to normal ( 3.4ghz ) and now my GB is showing just under 12000 which is about right.
I noticed on the SSDT that for the overclocked profile says a max overclock of 4.2, so is that as high as I can go without a new SSDT?

EDIT: clocked to 4.2, and now i've dropped back down to the 5000 range again.

EDIT 2: it seems any OC kills the score, I'm going to reinstall the i7 OC SSDT and try again.

EDIT 3: Nope, without OC, it takes under a min to run GB, with OC its about two.
It wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't dual boot windows and play some heavy games on it.
Makes my watercooling rig useless if its not OC'ing anything.

EDIT 4: It seems my motherboard has a dual bios switch, a physical switch where I can swap between two bios settings, so I guess I'll just have to set up two profiles, one stock for OSX and on OC'd for Windows. Not a fix, but it might make due until one of you guys can help me out.

EDIT 5: Completely deleted and re-installed the i7 SSDT, once again, no OC, no problem, OC, overall system is slow.

EDIT 6: I've googled everything I can find, But have yet to find anyone who has similar symptoms than me. I would hate to have to Re-install and loose my system, but I don't know what else to check. So if anyone could give me anything to work with or a direction to start looking, please let me know. I am going to try this on my girlfriends hackintosh ( i5 2500k ) and see if she gets similar issues, but since she has a different motherboard, it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

So would I want to leave the multiplier stock ( 34 ) and just overclock the turbo?

I tried doing that, but had them all set to 48 instead of 48, 48, 48, 47 like you suggested.
but i'll give it a go and see how it does.

I can't try till later today, but it it works how you say, then that would make alot of sense for it to be stuck at 1.6ghz and only posting a ~5400 GB score ( i'm expecting at least high 13-k, aiming for 14-15 if thats possible with my set up )

Excelent, thanks. I know my chip is good for 5.0ghz ( max i've OC'ed it ) but I've not tested the motherboards limits quite yet ( don't think its as good as my old Asus )

but even 4.5ghz would be plenty fine.

And since I've the dual bios set up, just flick a switch and I can jump to a higher OC if I so desire ( which also allows me to do more of a more traditional overclocking config for windows )

Another question though, with the stock Multibeast SSDT I can only OC to 4.2? so if I want to go higher I would need a custom made SSDT for my Clock goal?

Another question though, with the stock Multibeast SSDT I can only OC to 4.2? so if I want to go higher I would need a custom made SSDT for my Clock goal?

In the thread I mentioned earlier, it has a 4.7Ghz SSDT attached. I am personally using a 4.8Ghz SSDT, but am currently away from my hacs and can't upload mine now.
Or the better way is to read through the link samisnake posted, you can make your own. :)

excelent, I just did the OC per the guide and your suggestion, setting each core to 42, 42, 42, 41, and geekbench ran fine producing a score of 13,500 So i'll start looking into a making or trying to find a custom SSDT and taking it from there.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back