Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing normal about Kernel Panic, how does it looks like in Verbose Mode?
Btw, the instant reboot was most probably Kernel related and not AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Thanks for the info so far! :headbang:

I can navigate a computer just fine, but when it comes to BIOS and code...I haven't a clue.

Does anyone have a link (or can you provide a quick rundown) of the steps needed to get through the BIOS and install of the operating system, kext, ect...

Do I need to Download a copy of LION (from the apps store) onto a flash drive or some other device? Will the copy of Snow Leopard that came with my mac mini do the trick?

Thanks!

Hello all !
First post to thanks your community. Just made a reverse switch from an Apple bi-quad.
P9X79/3930k combo working fine on OS X.
Everything works farer than expected even eSata hot plug, firewire, temp and freq monitoring... ! Can't believe it.
Now the caveats.
SPDIF spit strange digital jitter.
USB3 (don't mind, yet)
my GTX570 used at half potential (30 fps at cinebench)

And last but not least : turbo boost and speedstep aren't working at all (smc monitor and cinebench scores comparing to windows show me that)...
On windows, at stock settings my CPU oscillates between 1200 and 3800mhz which is handy.
Moreover pn my Asus board I'm obliged to overclock via turbo boost if using a higher cpu multiplier than stock. :beachball:
So for OS X, I'm reduced to use a bclk increase over clock only... but no boot past ~130mhz which give me a maximum of 4290mhz (no BSOD with a very slight increase of vcore at this freq). I use a very good water-cooling (480mm radiators) so I planned to get a ~5ghz everyday overclock.
Also, fixed cpu freq means more power consumption too when idling : electricity bill increased :(

If anyone have some clues I'd be the happiest hackuser of the world :)

Cya

Hi polobear,
Sorry for the off topic.
What is your mobo?
I can't get my p9x79 to get past 32 stock multiplier without forcing turbo boost activation. (enabled and greyed out automatically when going above >32...)
Thanks.

polobear said:
Hi phkman,
congrats to your success....

My 3930k runs at 4.3 with just setting the multi to 43, Scythe Mugen 3 with dual Fans, no speedstepping, no sleep.
The rig idles at 40 and temps go up to 65 degrees Celsius under full load. Fans are controlled by bios at 650 rpm idle and 1200 full blast. 650 is really quiet, 1200 not loud.

Overclocking and OSX seems to be more demanding, settings working under windows are kernel panicking with my setup...
and I don't think that you can reach the 5 GHz with settings working 24/7...
But keep us posted....

happy hacking....

What is your ambient temp?

My temps are 10 degrees hotter than yours both at idle and at full load - at 4.2Ghz. I using a Noctua NH-D14 - but my ambient temperate is 30-35 degrees

First off i would like to say thanks for this site it's users, operators and contributors :thumbup: . I was considering to buy a used mac pro or build a......Hacintosh. I have built PC's which are easy and cheap but never a mac which seemed challenging based on my experience :banghead: . What to do, well I took the plunge and here I am.

Now on to my build and maybe some help for others.

Parts List
ASUS P9X79 Pro (used by others here) ($265)
Intel I7 3930k ($499
Base Intel 2011 Cooler (for now $25)
EVGA GTX 480 (for $250 why not)
Cheap 1333 DDR3 2x(4gb 2x2 kit) ($38)
Two cheap 160gb 7200 SATA 2 ($69- may be hard drive prices will come down soon)
Two 8gb Flash Drives USB 3 ($20)
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1k PS ($170)
Black Pearl EATX Case (Old Pc)
Various DVD drives (Old Pc)
OS's (OSX 10.6.3 and WIN 7 PRO 64, Which I all ready had)
But no mac :confused:

Well first I put the parts together for windows.
I got online and did a lot of cramming research :yawn:
Became a member to get the downloads to my pc, all of them just in case they were needed and I couldn't get online.

Once I had the support files, they were moved to a 8gb thumb drive
Next in order to create an iBoot disc I noticed it was a dmg file :( . What i found for pc was (http://infrarecorder.org/) and i had 2 iboot discs in no time.

First try was iboot legacy
Checked the bios and left it at ACHI which was default
Two times i moved on

Second iboot 3.3 or latest
started to look better but got a restart notice :crazy:
The next time I added (PCIRootUID=1) And Im in.

During the OS install it restarted on its own, oh no.
and my disc drive would not open, power down, open drive via bent paper clip method and restart with iboot, then put OSX disc back in, select my install, type (PCIRootUID=1) and on comes the welcome video.

Once I was at the desk top and through the basics, software update popped up so my LAN is working. I did not check sound yet. Res was limited like others have said.

Combo update 10.6.8
I also choose to use multibeast 4.3.2 and checked easy dsdt. Restart and it worked, still low res and now no lan for internet, oops , well good thing i had already downloaded things i might need. To get full res i installed Nvidia Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg and restart.
Yes, full res and dual monitors, now to fix the lan i selected hanks appleintele1000e Ethernet and it worked.

Audio
After trial and error I checked off the universal box in multibeast, restart and we have sound.

Things Ive tried so far
cine-bench
x bench
Forgot to write down scores but they looked similar to what others have gotten.
Well waiting for lion to download next
and to get full cuda and open cl support.
Overall it was easy, took me days to build and get info/files but only about 3 hrs from inserting the first iboot disc to this post.

Thanks again for the time others have put in to make this possible.

Oh any suggestions on sleep mode ?

Hi hopefully someone knows how to fix this....

I'm running a 3930K @ 4.2GHz 24/7 OC stable, with the ASRock X79 Extreme4, I've got full graphics (2 470s) working 100%, audio, ethernet, firewire, esata, etc for all intents and purposes a fully functioning hack except for nativepowermanagement (like everyone else) and for some odd reason I can't boot successfully with more than one core active, or HT for that matter.

So, is there anyone else that's had this issue and knows how to resolve it? Because all I can do right now is boot with only one core enabled in the BIOS, the cpus=1 flag doesn't work, I have to literally disable all other cores to run OS X. (10.7.3)

Hi guys,

I'm having audio/video desync issues when using a 'RedRocket' card (a PCIe video hardware decoder). Mouse/window movement is jerky and audio drops out. It looks like a possible clock/HPET issue, as though I haven't set busratio in the boot plist (but I have!). In system profiler my 3930K still shows up as 3.2Ghz (although it's 4.4GHz, 44x100), and it says the bus speed is 400Mhz. Is it worth injecting the right info into the config.plist? If so, what is the CPU type and what other info should I include?? I have busratio=44 but have also tried 32 with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ksosx86 said:
Hi hopefully someone knows how to fix this....

I'm running a 3930K @ 4.2GHz 24/7 OC stable, with the ASRock X79 Extreme4, I've got full graphics (2 470s) working 100%, audio, ethernet, firewire, esata, etc for all intents and purposes a fully functioning hack except for nativepowermanagement (like everyone else) and for some odd reason I can't boot successfully with more than one core active, or HT for that matter.

So, is there anyone else that's had this issue and knows how to resolve it? Because all I can do right now is boot with only one core enabled in the BIOS, the cpus=1 flag doesn't work, I have to literally disable all other cores to run OS X. (10.7.3)

EDIT: Got all cores working with VoodooTSCSync.kext. Working with iocpunumber 11.

Update: HT working with BridgeHelper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back