Status
Not open for further replies.
@maleorderbride your posts dissapered.

Kevin

Dag Nab it. I thought there was going to be a revelation :thumbdown:
I need to build a new system bad!

Kevin

Hey Guys,

I just purchased some components for a video editing workstation that I'm about to build.

I have windows 7 pro coming, but if i cant stand working in windows, I was hoping to convert my PC to a hachintosh. Will the components listed below work?

Thanks!

ASUS p9x79 PRO
intel i7 3930K
GTX 570
corsair 16GB ram
adobe premiere pro cs5.5

Gordo74 said:
Yes, just with no power management and extra kexts for the audio/network.

Hey Gordo,

Could you indulge me and explain the effects of no power managment and extra kexts for audio/network? :oops:

thanks

duder1234 said:
Gordo74 said:

Hey Gordo,

Could you indulge me and explain the effects of no power managment and extra kexts for audio/network? :oops:

thanks

You wont get speedstep, your processor wont clock down when idle. You'll need to install drivers for your audio and ethernet, which may or may not work based on your level of knowledge on installing kexts.

Gordo74 said:
duder1234 said:
Gordo74 said:

Hey Gordo,

thanks

You wont get speedstep, your processor wont clock down when idle. You'll need to install drivers for your audio and ethernet, which may or may not work based on your level of knowledge on installing kexts.

A little background so my questions are put into context: this is my first PC build. My last computer was bought from the apple store...as was the one before.

Unfortunately, my little mac mini can't handle adobe premiere pro cs5.5 and the AVCHD footage I'll be editing. So, I did some research and came up with a system that should handle the load. Ideally, I'd buy a mac pro...but the cost is quite prohibitive.

So, that brings me to my current PC build. I'd like to run OSX instead of Windows 7, but if its going to be unstable or interfere with my editing...thats not good.

I wont be connecting the computer to the internet for a while (if ever), I have my mac mini for those needs.

The lack of "stepspeed" sounds like it could lessen the life of my processor?

Also, I have no knowledge of how to install kexts.

There's a question in there somewhere... :crazy:

Hey duder1234

I have virtually the same system (videoguys DIY9 list?) I was able to get it up and running but I'm still working out the kinks. It's bootable and functioning (with LION 10.7.3) but it needs a little love with modified kext(s) and a custom DSDT.

Use Unibeast to boot a USB disk image of LION, and Multibeast after the install to get your video card to function correctly. So far, the computer functions as anticipated.

A few things still don't work (as in the custom DSDT or Multibeast breaks the Ethernet --- ironically, it works find during the install, it's the post installation stuff that breaks it -- I'm assuming through Multibeast; it's a work in progress.

Check out maleorderbride's list of stuff he did for help. He's had the most headway.

One suggestion however, be sure, if you're going to do a hackintosh/PC dual boot, install each operating system to separate drives. Really helps.

Also, if you install the Mac side second, windows boot loader won't load. What I had to do to fix it was reload the latest UEFI bios update (or retrograde it back to an earlier bios version), to right the changes the Mac Installer did to the MOBO bios settings (couldn't figure it out any other way) However, I do have a dual booting system now!!!

Now to implement my plan to conquer the earth.....

Best of luck,
jgbsound
duder1234 said:
Hey Guys,

I just purchased some components for a video editing workstation that I'm about to build.

I have windows 7 pro coming, but if i cant stand working in windows, I was hoping to convert my PC to a hachintosh. Will the components listed below work?

Thanks!

ASUS p9x79 PRO
intel i7 3930K
GTX 570
corsair 16GB ram
adobe premiere pro cs5.5

duder1234 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

ASUS p9x79 PRO
intel i7 3930K
GTX 570
corsair 16GB ram
adobe premiere pro cs5.5

Hey, some "news" about power management.
10.7.4 preview was seeded a while ago and it seems to contain a new build of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext which does not result in an instant reboot. Instead there is just a normal Kernel Panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back