Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The information on this site and within this thread should be all you need to get up and running - so follow it to the letter. Other than this I'm not sure your graphics card is compatible - that tends to be the biggest problem for most people so do some research on that front before even starting.

Porkroll - I was in a similar boat. Just take the same steps maleorderbride did and use his DSDT and the extensions he installed as a starting point. I think this is on page 9 of this thread or thereabouts. Other than that the best advice I can give you is to copy your system drive to another disk as soon as you have a working system so you have something to fall back on in case you break something and can't boot. This has helped me enormously when I've been tweaking.

Once it's all up and running it really is a sweet setup. The 2011 chips kick ass for hyperthreaded tasks (audio production in my case).

sweet... thank you very much for the advice! yes, the video card compatibility has me a bit stumped. I don't know how to find out which cards are compatible with which processor and motherboard setups. I certainly want to be sure before I pluck down the money. I think I should read through this thread again, but with my limited knowledge on the subject, I didn't get the impression that the 3930 was truly solved?

at any rate, thank you for your help... I want to put this machine together to take advantage of the multithreading in my 3D apps.

cheers!

Marius said:
maleorderbride said:
DSDT Edits:
DTGP added
LPCB
HDEF
SBUS
rename to EHC1 EHC2, added AAPL Info
Shutdown
Added LAN0 to PEX2
Rename all Devices to Mac Device Names

Hi maleorderbride,

Thank you for the great work on this MOBO combo! :thumbup:
Could you post the HDEF patch that you have been using for the DSDT edit? I have been searching on olarila.com/forum/patches, but haven´t found a patch that matches your code...

Thank you in advance!

Marius :)

The HDEF doesn't work anyway, so just ignore what I did there. I finally got another 3930K to use a test machine a few days back and have power saving and audio on the top of my list. What needs fixing, that I am aware of, is:

1. Native Power Management (Sleep, Speedstep, etc)
2. Native AppleHDA Audio
3. USB 3.0 (major boot lag with current versions and doesn't seem to work most of the time)
4. Bluetooth (does not work 100% of the time)

If you have more issues please let me know. All in all the board is still perfectly capable of doing work for any professional, but just disable USB 3.0 and don't install the kext and turn off your computer when you are done using it. Easy enough.

As Ybott noticed, you do need to set busratio as I mentioned in my original post otherwise you will have audio/video de-sync issues.

Once I either get headway going on one of the above issues or solve one of them then I will make a thread dedicated to the P9X79 Pro (and probably non-pro as well).

maleorderbride said:
Once I either get headway going on one of the above issues or solve one of them then I will make a thread dedicated to the P9X79 Pro (and probably non-pro as well).

Awesome. I'm on the WorkStation model (P9X79 WS). Can you imagine any major differences for the DSDT (specifically considering the extra PCIE slots....)? I'm keen to get this as vanilla as my last build (X58-UD5). Also at the moment I'm contributing a fair amount to global warming by constantly being at 4.4GHz without any CPU energy saving features enabled! I must be pulling over 750W at idle!

(Don't tell anyone but I do drop down to 3.8 when just browsing... ;) )

Thanks again maleorderbride

Hi maleorderbride,

Thank you so much for the clarification! :thumbup:

Best regards,

Marius

ybott said:
maleorderbride said:

Awesome. I'm on the WorkStation model (P9X79 WS). Can you imagine any major differences for the DSDT (specifically considering the extra PCIE slots....)? I'm keen to get this as vanilla as my last build (X58-UD5). Also at the moment I'm contributing a fair amount to global warming by constantly being at 4.4GHz without any CPU energy saving features enabled! I must be pulling over 750W at idle!

(Don't tell anyone but I do drop down to 3.8 when just browsing... ;) )

Thanks again maleorderbride

I imagine that your WS will be able to benefit from whatever I figure out.

Even if there are some differences I will probably opt for using an in place editor like DSDT Editor as it seems to have better results than just using a generic DSDT for everyone.

Again, just to re-iterate, native power management will almost certainly not be working until Apple releases a new Mac Pro or a Sandy Bridge-EP build. The other stuff is all fair game though ;p

Has anyone had any success with PCIe cards for wifi in their X79 builds?

I'm having issues both with a PCIe SSD and broadcom PCIe wifi card where the computer boots fine but hangs at the grey screen just before the desktop appears. Even if I boot in verbose mode everything works just fine and right after 'PCI Configuration begin' the screen goes from black to grey as if the desktop is going to launch but then just hangs.

There's nothing in the logs that indicates an error. I've tried so many different things in terms of kexts, smbios etc that I'm beginning to wonder if this is a problem with the Asus X79 board I'm using. I've got a pcie firewire card working just fine but anything else is a no go.

Been playing around with my first hackintosh for the last couple days, Its going to be used as a VJ rig, (Cinema 4D, Aftereffects, VDMX, Quartz Composer)

Asus Rampage IV bf3 edition
XFX 5870
Corsair Vengeance CL8 16GB 1600mhz
Samsung SSD
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro USB

Install method:
Turn off speed step/turbo boost in bios
Downloaded Lion 10.7.3 from app store, installed fresh with Unibeast.
Ran multi beast, No easy beast option. Just the following options,
FakeSMC
NullCpuManagement
Chimera
TrimEnabler
Hnaks Intel1000e
64bit graphics enabler
Mac Pro 3.1 definitions (doesn't seem to be needed)

Benchmarks: without overclock
Geekbench 32bit score 14227
Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL 41.32 fps, CPU 9.09 pts

System is running stable so far

I haven't installed the USB 3, non-intel SATA drivers, bluetooth. Once I have the hardware I will test but I have no need in the near future

Onboard sound. The realtek 8XX kexts don't work, I managed to get the voodooHDA working (-ish, distortion above 60% vol but i think thats normal) but then i couldn't boot in verbose mode, KP just before login screen. Normal boot worked though.

Now the interesting part. With no sound card drivers at all, playing the chess game the program will freeze during the computers 2nd-3rd turn. If I force quit then open it up again and the game will continue for another 2 moves, then freeze. If i plug in the sound card or install the voodoohda kexts then every things fine(just no verbose boot with voodoohda)

In the end Ive removed the voodooHDA Kext and will stick with usb sound until the realtek 898 is supported.

What USB audio device would you recommend?

So I actually bought the 3930k LGA 2011 processor AND I also bought the ASUS P9X79 PRO with the Intel X79 chipset.

My plan was to eventually dual boot it; one logical drive Win7-64bit, and hack a second drive under SnowLeopard. Do you really think SnowLeopard won't support the Sandy Bridge-E processor or should I give it a try?

I can always wait to do this of course. My old computer finally gave up the ghost so I needed something and I figured I'd try and future-proof it a litte bit (at least for a little while anyway).

Any suggestions you guys have would be great. I'm a noob when it comes to building a hackintosh but have a fair amount of old DOS programming and system admin experience. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back