Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
manfriday said:
Yeah, the firewire worked OOB.
Only thing I can remember not working OOB was nic, wireless, and audio.
Nic was an easy fix. audio I didn't bother with, and wireless I haven't been able to make work.

Yo, thanks big time for your info.

Hi guys,

I'm getting choppy video playback in Quicktime 7 and Finder preview when opening Apple ProRes 4444 files and it only appears after a few seconds (sometimes as much as 10-20 seconds). Can any of you please see if you have the same problem?

Thank you,

p.s. I have fast enough storage to read off.

It seems like this is the most active Socket 2011 thread here so i might as well use it.
Are there any updates on power management yet? I wasn't around for the Sandy Bridge PM-issues. Can anyone share their experiences of the process of getting PM working on previous generations. Is a new Mac Pro model needed for getting Power Management working?

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 dsdt please!!! any news?

Hi,
from the looks of it it seems the 3930 & 3960 chips are not yet compatible.

my question is , is there a way i could use a 2600 chip for now and easily upgrade the cpu once it becomes more supported? what would i need to make this happen.
new mother board? do i need to reinstall?

i need to pick up a workstation asap for some projects, and dont' mind coughing up the cash if it can streamline my flow now..

thanks!

that's what i figured. it sounds feasible for me to upgrade, in say 5 months, when the chips & os86x are stable.. 2600 still a beast ..

so.. would it mean i have to do a complete OS reinstall if i did that, or can i just power off my machine & swap parts? if anyone has ever upgraded their MB & chip i would be super stoked to know any issues to be aware off or anything i can do in foresight to ensure smooth transition, such as if i should get additional power already or if it's overkill..

also, on the power tip what's the best cooling system ? i'm looking for quiet without sacrificing too much efficiency. one thing i thought of are the master cool cases as well.

thanks!

maleorderbride said:
DSDT Edits:
DTGP added
LPCB
HDEF
SBUS
rename to EHC1 EHC2, added AAPL Info
Shutdown
Added LAN0 to PEX2
Rename all Devices to Mac Device Names

Hi maleorderbride,

Thank you for the great work on this MOBO combo! :thumbup:
Could you post the HDEF patch that you have been using for the DSDT edit? I have been searching on olarila.com/forum/patches, but haven´t found a patch that matches your code...

Thank you in advance!

Marius :)

Hi all,

The video playback issues (which I only really noticed on Apple ProRes 4444 files) I've been having were due to not having a bus ratio kernel flag in my boot plist. You have to have this in their with your CPU bus ratio, 42 for me at the moment), so I'm using busratio=42.

Hope everyone is loving their systems as much as me!

Oh, as a side note I only seem to be getting 100Mbit over ethernet, can anyone confirm gigabit speeds work for them and if so which driver!?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

hi all.. first post, very new to this DIY project and i'm just in the planning phase now. i want to build a 3930k based machine that will dual boot. i'm looking at an ASUS MB and ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1gb.

question is.. i have no idea if these hardwares are compatible. my primary interest is the video card and the processor, so i'm really hoping to make the 3930k work with the best video card compatible. i'd prefer a GeForce GTX series video card over the radeon, but i have no idea if that's a compatibility issue.

this will be my first build and i know i'm wading into dangerous waters here, but i have the time and a backup machine, so i thought it would be a 'fun' project. famous last words.

any advice... words of caution, GTFO... etc, would be greatly appreciated. i've been very interested in this thread to see how you brave pioneers are getting on and i'd love to be able to follow your lead.

Okay, I'm not a Mac person, but my daughters are starting to use them more and more in school so I thought I'd look into it... My mom gave me a G4 Mac that someone she works with gave her and I upgraded it as best I could, but it still seems slow so I looked around and found the term Hackintosh and thought I might give it a shot...

I just built a new PC, Asus P9X79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme CPU, dual EVGA 570 GTX video, 64GB RAM, 8TB of disk (2 3TB and 2 1TB drives), and a 120GB SSD to boot from (Antec DF-85 case has an external slot on top for easy swapping of SSDs)... I was thinking if I could get it to run a Mac OS it would rock... I tried to buy Lion, but the "live chat" lady told me I had to buy Snow Leopard first and upgrade to Lion, so I bought Snow Leopard...

I just purchased 2 more SSDs and thought I'd do one for Linux and one for Hackintosh, but I am way out of my element here in Mac land...

I printed some instructions I found on the Tnoymacx86 website, but all I was able to get was the hackintosh logo (which I thought was great, but nor real useful)... Oh, and just for the record, on a Mac G4 it takes about 3 hours to write the Snow Leopard image back to the USB Flash drive (must be USB 1.0)...

If anybody has any ideas on how to get this to work I am willing to try what you suggest...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back