Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Mick,
From what I read you have a DAW and UAD.
I am dead tired on waiting for the new MacPro.
Do you work on or have a Studio? If so I am REALLY interested in your build.
On what PT are you PT10 HD? no HDX?
Have you tried Logic 9.1.6 yet? on SL, Lion?
I have a Studio work with Logic pro 9 and am planing to get PT10 Native (with CPTK), or HDX. And getting an RME HDSPe AES interface for replace my FW one.
Could you please give me more details on the Audio parts? You can PM me it you want.
Z.[/quote]

Hi,

I have a studio and I'm primarily a mixer. I'm running Pro-Tools HD10 with a native card and also UAD powered plug-ins on a UAD-2 quad card.

I just finished a mix of 108 tracks at 48k 24 bit depth. I used many plug-ins, UAD + many others, even with many double-precision plugins and convolution reverbs the cpu usage was 15-22% with a buffer of 128 samples. I'm running an OC of 4.3ghz and keeping the bclock at 100mhz. This seems to be very stable.

Mick

maleorderbride said:
mickguz said:
polobear said:
Wow...
Nice stats. OsX seems to be more demanding when it comes to overclocking and stability. My 1366 Rig is rockstable under windows @4,1 GHz and kernelpanicking under Snowleopard. Same system is fine @ 3,8.
Intel will release a new stepping, hopefully next week.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,85920 ... /CPU/News/

The CPU is hard to get in Germany. So I will wait for the new stepping. And Gigabyte had some problems with the x79 mainboards too. Better to buy Asus.

Hi,

The overclocking seems to work ok with everything but pro-tools. I wonder if timing is very critical because of the number of simultaneous streams that need to be processed in real time. I'm going to experiment with this some more today.

Mick

Did you set your busratio in your kernel flags? I had audio de-sync issues until I did so.

Hi,

I'm new at this so could you let me know the filename and syntax of where the kernal flags reside? I brought the multiplier down to 43 and left all voltages and current limits stock. Now everything seems stable.

Thanks, Mick

mickguz said:
I'm new at this so could you let me know the filename and syntax of where the kernal flags reside? I brought the multiplier down to 43 and left all voltages and current limits stock. Now everything seems stable.

Thanks, Mick

Inside of the chameleon.boot.plist.org (or com.apple.boot.plist) in the Extra folder there should be this:

<key>kernel flags</key>
<string></string>

add this:

<key>kernel flags</key>
<string>busratio=49</string>

Have busratio be whatever your multiplier is in the bios. By default it is 33 if not overclocked.

mickguz said:

Hi Mick,
From what I read you have a DAW and UAD.
I am dead tired on waiting for the new MacPro.
Do you work on or have a Studio? If so I am REALLY interested in your build.
On what PT are you PT10 HD? no HDX?
Have you tried Logic 9.1.6 yet? on SL, Lion?
I have a Studio work with Logic pro 9 and am planing to get PT10 Native (with CPTK), or HDX. And getting an RME HDSPe AES interface for replace my FW one.
Could you please give me more details on the Audio parts? You can PM me it you want.
Z.

Hi,

I have a studio and I'm primarily a mixer. I'm running Pro-Tools HD10 with a native card and also UAD powered plug-ins on a UAD-2 quad card.

I just finished a mix of 108 tracks at 48k 24 bit depth. I used many plug-ins, UAD + many others, even with many double-precision plugins and convolution reverbs the cpu usage was 15-22% with a buffer of 128 samples. I'm running an OC of 4.3ghz and keeping the bclock at 100mhz. This seems to be very stable.

Mick[/quote]

Ok Mick. Thank's for the feedback. :thumbup:
Have you ever tied a RME HDSPe AES card?
I am subscribed to this thread. Keep us posted.
Z.

Just got my system up and running with the Asus board. Thanks a bunch to maleorderbride as your advice has been invaluable.

I plan on running logic pro on this system and will post some info/benchmarks once I get everything up and running.

At the moment all is working pretty well - though the system doesn't restart when I select 'restart' from the apple menu. Is this because I am using nullcpumanagement? I can't boot without it.

As an aside there is also a 4k discrepancy in Geekbench scores between OSX and Windows 7 on vanilla installs which is surprising.

dashbad said:
Just got my system up and running with the Asus board. Thanks a bunch to maleorderbride as your advice has been invaluable.

I plan on running logic pro on this system and will post some info/benchmarks once I get everything up and running.

At the moment all is working pretty well - though the system doesn't restart when I select 'restart' from the apple menu. Is this because I am using nullcpumanagement? I can't boot without it.

As an aside there is also a 4k discrepancy in Geekbench scores between OSX and Windows 7 on vanilla installs which is surprising.

Hi,

I don't think the problem is Nullcpumanagement. I'm using that kext and can restart ok.
The Geekbench discrepency may be because you need to turn Speedstep off in bios to over clock this MB in OSX. Great to see another audio user on this forum!

Mick

Thanks. I'll try with EvoReboot to see if that makes a difference.

BDMSEG shows the following:

Customizing SystemID with : c08df0d1-3b03-e111-aee2-5404a632103c
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 32433 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!

IS this anything to worry about? I have p states and c states flagged in chameleon boot.plist

mickguz said:
dashbad said:

Hi,

I don't think the problem is Nullcpumanagement. I'm using that kext and can restart ok.
The Geekbench discrepency may be because you need to turn Speedstep off in bios to over clock this MB in OSX. Great to see another audio user on this forum!

Mick
:headbang: :thumbup:

dashbad said:
Thanks. I'll try with EvoReboot to see if that makes a difference.

BDMSEG shows the following:

Customizing SystemID with : c08df0d1-3b03-e111-aee2-5404a632103c
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 32433 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml

IS this anything to worry about? I have p states and c states flagged in chameleon boot.plist
Looks like you have NullCPU installed, it disables native power management.

Plus, as I mentioned in my posts about this board, native power management does not work. It is HIGHLY unlikely this will ever work until Apple releases an iMac or Mac Pro that uses a Sandy Bridge EP CPU.

Also, if you are not using the P9X79 Pro with the 906 BIOS then my DSDT could prevent you from restarting properly. A different motherboard, or BIOS versions, could cause odd problems like that despite it all seeming to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back